tach/charging issues 94 12v in 97

slor1de

Searched and havent had much luck. Have a 97 12v auto truck now with a 94 12v and nv4500 swap. Using 97 harness and pcm as the 94 harness has different plugs at the cab. The 97 harness doesnt have the plug for the dampner/tach pickup. Every thing is fine with the truck but tach doesn't work and doesnt charge either. Anyone have any input to remedy this or maybe just something im missing.

If you can find wiring diagrams for both the '94 and '97, I'd cut the plug off of both harnesses and wire the '94 plug into the '97 harness so that it can connect to the '94 crank sensor. I don't foresee them being that much different between the 2. But then again, I don't know 2nd gens that well, I'm just taking a guess.

just give the dash a few good taps at the tach it should pop up.. do it while its running

my tach has stuck before. if that don't work it's the mismatched electronics

Last edited:
Tach and alternator won't work with no crank sensor. There has to be a connector, just may be different between '94 and '97. I thought they were the same, though.

Tach and alternator won't work with no crank sensor. There has to be a connector, just may be different between '94 and '97. I thought they were the same, though.

IIRC, the plugs were the same between my '94 engine and that in my '98 12v.

Like was said, there has to be wires for it somewhere. Hopefully no one cut them off because they thought it wasn't needed.

The plugs are different between the 94 and 97, The 94 is a round plug and he 97 is a square plug

We got it. Just missed the plug during the swap. Sensor was different. Everythings working fine now.

Back