Timing on work/play truck

JCummin

Looking for opinions on timing number. Tow a lot need to have snort down low but would like a little more mileage. And obviously power ha ha. Any input is welcome. Obviously timing affects rpm curve so would like input from people in like situations. Thanks

Year or pump? Non 215 pump I would say 17, I always ran my 95 there and it was fine for towing up to 50K gross weight, made 398/998 with the last setup.

215 pump, I'd back it down to 15.5 or 16. They just always seemed to run a little better there.

Chris

Last edited:
I ran 20° and it towed 9000lbs fine.

I would say 17-18 would be decent.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

My trailer weighs 10,300 empty, FYI, so my suggestions are based from that.

Not trying to get in a pissing match with any other poster or anything like that, but when towing, the amount of weight makes a difference in thesetup. I don't consider anything below 10K lbs or smaller "towing." That's just pulling the trailer to me LOL

Again, only my humble opinion based on my experiences. Yours may very ;)

I would still say 17* on the 180 pump with that setup....unless your pop pressures on the injectors have been raised over 4,000psi, then go 18*.
Chris

Also what gears your running, my dually work truck has 410's and I run it at 19. Made a big difference in mileage because of the rpms it stays at going highway speeds (2300-2500).

3.55's.

You are correct again. Man I've been away from this too long, I'm forgetting all the details.

4.10's you can get away with more timing since you will spend more time at higher RPM.

Thanks for the assist/refresher.
Chris

17 is what i set mine to and have been happy with it. My truck is not a powerhouse but a compromise between towing/play/dd/fireroad rider. I got a mpg out of the timing bump.

I would set it at 16.5* personally and it will keep good manners. Much more seems to make leaving with heavy loads more touchy.

Back