NV4500 Clutch Issue

1slowhatch

Broke my input shaft a while ago. Pulled the trans, put another stock input shaft in with new bearings/retainer. Clutch had 500 miles on it, 13" single disc kevlar/ceramic Valair.

Flywheel had a groove in it from a piece of input/retainer, but seemed fine otherwise. Disc looked ok, pressure plate looked good (no discoloration, etc) I cleaned everything back up, replaced the DESTROYED crappy Valair "upgrade" pilot bearing, new release bearing, and put it all back together.

Drove it yesterday. Truck will not shift when stopped. Runs and drives just about normal, aside from not being to get into 1st or reverse at a stop light (engine running). Turn the engine off, shifts great.

Pedal feels normal, stock hydraulics that have never given me any trouble, no apparent leaks, etc. System was NOT opened while apart.

Prior to the input shaft breakage, truck always shifted fine, both with the stock clutch and the upgraded one.

What is going on? Warped clutch disc or pressure plate? Air in the hydraulics? Bent release fork? Also, no amount of "pumping" the clutch pedal will help it go into reverse, but usually can get it to go into 1st.

Which pilot did you go with?

it's the one that comes already pressed into their flywheel, for the 13" conversion clutch.

The first one was a rubber seal radial bearing, .75 ID x 1.75OD. Made it about 50 miles before seizing and spinning in the flywheel.

The replacement they sent me was the same bearing, but with a stainless steel sleeve.

Has anyone else had this problem? It also was a very loose "press" (fall in) in to the flywheel.

I'm thinking you may be on something there. A drop in pilot probably dropped out somewhere during assembly. Pull the tranny and have a look see.

I'm thinking you may be on something there. A drop in pilot probably dropped out somewhere during assembly. Pull the tranny and have a look see.

I'll check it out. However, I doubt it fell out. I did put a light coating of thread locker on the outside of the race as a precaution. There was a slight bit of resistance as I pressed it all the way to the bottom of the bore (in the flywheel)

Would there be any other obvious symptoms of not having a pilot bearing?

i've had no problems out of the bearing they sent in my flywheel. prob has 50K on it now.
pretty sure if it fell out there would be serious problems, like the input snapping off pretty quick, trans damage, etc.
your floormat isn't slid up under the clutch pedal is it?

i've had no problems out of the bearing they sent in my flywheel. prob has 50K on it now.
pretty sure if it fell out there would be serious problems, like the input snapping off pretty quick, trans damage, etc.
your floormat isn't slid up under the clutch pedal is it?

nope. I've driven the truck probably 20 miles like it is. no noticeable issues aside from not shifting with the engine running when stopped.

Back