Nitrogen in tires

smoken250

For those of you running nitrogen in your tires what is the mixture? How much nitrogen/air-oxygen? I do air conditiong and have plenty of it & thinking of trying it. Does anybody have any feedback? Does it make a difference?

There is an art to it. Too much and it can get funny. Tires can draw in water if the tire is too dry. I know it helps the big trucks....just don't know how much.

What I never got about that is nitrogen molecules are so much tinier than air.

When it goes low, do you have to go to a tire shop to get it filled? IMO waste of time and money.

I run a special blend of 78.1% by volume Nitrogen mixed with 20.95% oxygen, .93% argon and .038% CO2. I refer to this special blend as "AIR"

I know some may disagree, but you'll never convince me that 78% nitrogen is not good enough and that it's worth paying extra to get a higher content in my tires. I've only been driving for about 12 years, but I've logged almost 500,000 miles in that time and never had any tire issues that were caused by my nitrogen being too low :)

IMHO the #1 contributer to tire issues will always be linked back to improper air pressure with the #2 cause being alignment and the #3 cause being driving style.

Of course that's just my opinion, yours may vary.

George :)

I have used nitrogen straight out of the tank in my company vans forever. Always have a tank of nitrogen in the vans but rarely an air compressor, never had any problems at all.

The only real positive to pure nitrogen, is it contains less moisture than "air"....thus the air pressure will fluctuate less with temperature change, and not corrode the wheel (like it matters on aluminum rims)

12% difference in nitrogen content...not worth it to me...nice way to enhance appeal and make some money though.

There are those who do not believe in Nitrogens benefit for your truck or car,but,I can assure you once you switch you will not go back.I have been using Nitrogen for years before it appeared out in the public for our road vehicles.We always ran it in our sprint car and dirt late model teams because it kept tire cooler and less likely to expand and change chassis setups.It also lowered the chance of blistering the right rears when the track went dry slick(blue grooved) during the middle of a long feature with zero flags to slow the pace and cool the sneakers down.

Nitrogens benefits for the average owners daily driver may vary due to numerous things.One thing that I have found by running it on the highway is a better feel of the road and better drivability.The truck has more of a sure foot feel to it and at times it may drive you a tad nuts.It seems to me you can feel more of the roads imperfections with nitrogen than normal air.You will also not loose as much air with nitrogen as you would with regualr air,however this in no way means you forgo regular pressure checks.

The first fill on my truck of Nitrogen after we purged out the tires I did have some loss of pressure after 3 months.However,since they were rotated and rebalanced again this time they lost no pressure in the same 3 month time span.

Another benefit I found was the tires balance better and take less weight.The shop that does mine uses a Hunter GSP 9700 Road Force system and I was amazed at how much different they balanced with Nitrogen than normal air.

The use of Nitrogen is not for everyone and many will not or won't believe in the benefits that can be gained.Its a good deal with results that work for me......Andy

P.S.-Here is a link to Branick's website with some of the statements made by various companies.They are in PDF form.

http://www.branick.com/nitrogen_news.php

I run straight nitrogen in mine only because its free, and I have steel rims and don't want them to rust.

Back