Anyone running homemade bio in common rail???

I started home brewing in 2005 for my 90' Cummins & have been running 100% biodiesel in my 2007.5 6.7L.

The only thing I'm doing different is that I stopped mist washing with water. I now filter & polish the home brew with an ion-resin filter media.

Man i need some pointers,I have alot of peanut oil and need advice, im filtering it to 2 micron to make sure it's clean,but not sure how far to go.Thanks

Filtering is important but not nearly important as dewatering. I filter down to about 150 microns. The rest of the debris will fall out with the glycerin. Having excess water in the oil will throw the inital batch chemisty off and you will have terrible yeild if any at all. CR's are much more picky then all other engines. The fords run bio the best due to the nature of there injection system. In the end all of the fuel is injection at roughly the same pressure. There is less mechanical wear with the fords since HPO is doing alot of the work opposed with the fuel being compressed as in CR trucks. They can still run biodiesel, but I would I make sure i have good solid clean oil sources. When I said good solid clean, I mean oil that is as low as physically acheiveable in water content and a low FFA percentage. These go hand and hand(sometimes) so if you have one, you may have the other. However all it takes is one yahoo to leave the lid off of your drum and you could have a big mess.

Back