Straight Axle Tire Wear

biggy238

I'm getting ready to throw on a new set of wider wheels and tires for my super Duty. I was checking out my current tires because of a tire sensor fault, and noticed that I'm seeing the solid axle wear pattern on the outside of the passenger front. It's been a few thousand since I rotated the tires.

Is the only way around this to go to Y type linkages? I know my dodge hasn't had this problem, and it's got the 8800gvw axle with Y type.

Something smart goes here

I'm getting ready to throw on a new set of wider wheels and tires for my super Duty. I was checking out my current tires because of a tire sensor fault, and noticed that I'm seeing the solid axle wear pattern on the outside of the passenger front. It's been a few thousand since I rotated the tires.

Is the only way around this to go to Y type linkages? I know my dodge hasn't had this problem, and it's got the 8800gvw axle with Y type.

When mine was doing that it was wearing both inside and outside and it was because I never check air pressure. And because I still never check air pressure I put the pressure sensors back in the aftermarket wheels.

I've only been in the truck for 6k now. The ball joints and hubs don't have visible play. The wear pattern is only on the outside of the passenger tire.

I had a clunk that ended up being cab mounts that caused me and the rest of the shop to go through the front end a couple of times.

I will check it all again.

My dodge wore the outside of the passenger tire when my alignment was messed up. Don't know how different the ford's are, but no more than an alignment costs, I'd start there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I can see alignment if both tires are wearing the same but just one side on a straight axle. I've always aligned mine with a tape measure, straight edge and an angle finder and get it better than the idiot kids at the tire stores. May take a couple of tries to get the steering wheel straight.

Mine was only the right side, left was fine, toe in was off if I remember right. I usually take my stuff to an older guy that uses jigs, and fixtures and what not, no computers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back