2004.5 catastrophic engine failure

AKPrice

Hey guys, new to this forum. I have a 2004.5 Cummins with a little over 200k.

Back in December i was driving down the highway and the truck made a loud bang lost all power it was completely dark and really cold so i called my brother And Got towed home.

The next day i went out and looked at it and started to diag it. Motor didn’t only had a couple quarts of oil in it. Dropped the oil and changed it. Went to try and start it and finally got it going and it was puking oil out the tailpipe. Found the turbo to be completely blown. Exhaust wheel in my 5” muffler. I got a new turbo a 60 or 62 i cant recall now from pure diesel power i think. Been a little while ill have to look for the receipt. Got that all on and started back up and had a knock. Fast forward to a week ago we got the motor pulled out and ripped down….

number 6 piston was melted and 1 and 3 had broken rings. And a couple rod bearings are beat up.

Got the block to the machine shop and they think .010 on the crank and .020 on all six pistons. rods are getting checked and the head gone thru.

called exergy and left a message about sending my injectors to get checked and gone thru but haven’t got a call back yet. And the machine shops going to ruff bore everything beginning of the week, then i need to order a rebuild kit with the right size bearings and pistons and they will match them.

Any place better than another to order the rebuild kit from? When i bought this turbo i had problems with that company but not enough to recall there name for sure. But I remember they had rebuild kits too.

Anything im missing? Going to put in headstuds while im here.

Still not completely sure what caused all this but im guessing injectors. Or maybe the turbo blew and I lost all my oil and then the motor went.

Welcome long time member with first post in 9 years.

Sounds like a bad string of luck, hate to hear that. Who’s injectors were you running and what size? Did you have an injector knock before the engine failure?

Snedge is a member and vendor on this site. He is a Cummins parts dealer. I’d talk to him about your bearings, rebuild kit, and anything else you need engine wise. Lots of folks from the site use him.

Ill second on Snedge, though I personally haven't ordered anything from him. He has been more then helpful on multiple occasions across the board, and was more then willing to try and source a coolant pipe for me until we found out it was a Dodge proprietary part.

Let me throw Jeff’s name in a third time haha good guy to do business with.

Sucks about the engine. I’ve always been scared of the commonrails. Although, I’m sure this is rare.

The debri from the melted piston is what took out your turbo.

I'd bet money and injector stuck open, split tip, or something and melted a piston.

Back