2nd pull

Duster 5.9

my 2nd pull,actually 3rd, but 2nd one i drove 280 miles 2 pull rnd trip and couldn't pull cause of 2 many trucks:( anyway got my new hitch and new suspension blocks (1" spaced) ready to make a pull. wind the turbo let her fly shifted to second then 2 third oops:aiwebs_016: where's third? quick back 2 second and rode the rpms. hmmm what's wrong here. kind of makes me wonder about my first pull (which was in high) and tires never spun in 3rd either while just leaving it in drive.presure's must not be ok in my tranny. shifts fine under normal loads though.

no all stocktranny only mods 2 engine are home ground 10 plate, afc FF, washers reversed on diaphram, star wheel all the way then backed off 5 clicks. just got my pyro,boost,t-temp last night but not hooked up yet.

Unfortunately the stock auto’s are notoriously weak. They don’t have strong enough clutch’s and line pressure to hold up to higher out-put motors and harsh duty applications, i.e. sled pull’n.
I might have miss read your post, but normally you should run low range. It puts less stress on the trans, and lock out over drive.

yup i agree, i did forget to turn off od, but it wouldn't have mattered cause 3rd didn't work. i was in low range. when i shifted to third rpms stayed high but my pull slowed way down, so i quickly shifted back to second and keep rpms at 2800.

It's been my experience that shifting with an auto (especially a stock one) is not the grandest idea. If your truck doesn't have the power to pull that load in 3rd gear, it will fall on its face...And if the tranny isn't built for it, I think you may start to see some issues with the transmission.

...Or at least I did. I speak purely from experience that one shift of that nature started the kill process for my 2/3 clutches.

I'd either stick with 2nd, or have it in D off the line with your O/D off.
Good luck!

pulled last night. left it in second. pulled 274 feet, my best pull. i need to get more weight on the truck 6500lbs in a 8500lbs class is not good.and a 3gsk. i hooked up the lockup switch but it will not work this way with a stock valve body with shift selector in 2nd.

Back