Cams

tinkertoy

I was running a Schied diesel street cam in my 01 24v a had problems eating lobes off so I switched back to a late 12v stock cam! And last time I had it out I noticed number 6 lobe was warned some, so I switched oils to a racing oil for more zinc to see if that helped with heavier valve springs.

I will be pulling cam out to look at it when I go back ppump again and was wondering if there’s a cast cam that maybe around same specs as Schied cam?

And I can’t go anything bigger because protrusion is not stock! The Schied cam was really close on valve to piston clearance.

Would I be as will off to run a stock cam or aftermarket?

The springs are max spools that I got from pure diesel power over 10 years ago! They don’t make them anymore, they are 105 pds at 140 height.

I had valve job done and fire ringed at the time I installed them. U think the head may not have been done right?

It sounds like the spring pressure might be a little high for a street truck and that's why it's killing cams. There are steel, tool steel, and dlc treated cam and tappet combinations that will hold up, but then you'll fight wearing out the cam bores in the block.

If you're getting 20k miles or so on a reground stock cam, you might be on the verge where good engine oil, good crowned aftermarket tappets, and a fresh cam will last with the current springs. To really know, you'd want to pull a spring or two, check the spring rate and seat pressure at installed height and see where the total open load ends up. We've gotten away with 500+# over the nose on race trucks with premium parts, but I'd never try it on a street truck.

What springs would be ideal?

And can u take injectors out and pressurize the cylinder like a gas I done that once?

The truck has maybe put 40k miles on seens running them!

What springs would be ideal?

And can u take injectors out and pressurize the cylinder like a gas I done that once?

The truck has maybe put 40k miles on seens running them!

While in the truck I put the cylinder to tdc, remove injectors, rockers n bridges, then utilize this nice compressor that can be commonly found with a little google search. The spring I use is a popular choice in the industry, I just get them from the supplier. Some list it as a 105lb or 110lb. The last set I installed, on the seat they were all right around 100lbs.

Ok so I’ve called around and everyone says theses specs on springs is what there springs are! They told me a 60# 12v spring was about the same just less valves to open. The only springs I found was Industerial that was 95#, and most say that it probably hurt my tappeds. Most say u need to run zinc to prevent this problem. I just don’t want to have to change taps that is a pain!

No I haven’t I just threw another cam in, I think I will change them tho because it probably did damage to them! I didn’t want to fool with them but I may just take engine out because I’m rebuilding my clutch anyway and changing pump, turbo set up!

Back