Custom Paint Ideas??

DCSpecial

Mr. Sinister
Well, I figure at some point this year I'm most likely going to be getting my truck painted. Have a bunch of rock chips, scratches, a small dent or two, etc... So, I've thought about possibly getting some custom paint done.

Just wondering if you all had any good ideas for a custom paint scheme for my truck.

Here's a few pics:
14543.jpg

14542.jpg

14547.jpg

Or, should I just keep it the stock color??

Any and all opinions welcome :rockwoot:

I like the stock color... You can do a LOT of "tweaking" to the paint to make that color stand out. :)

Richard....while I do like posting pics (and lets face it, I have one of the baddest SDs around... LOL ) I'm not sure what color I'm going with.

Jake...I like the stock True Blue as well......what sort of tweaking can be done?

DCSpecial said:
Richard....while I do like posting pics (and lets face it, I have one of the baddest SDs around... LOL ) I'm not sure what color I'm going with.

Jake...I like the stock True Blue as well......what sort of tweaking can be done?

We did a Toyota Celica in a midnight blue that had a bunch of blue pearl in it. When it was inside, it looked black. When it was outside, it looked like the metal had got hot and changed colors (Like it was on re-entry, or something!). It was SWEET looking. I wish I had pictures. Depending on the angle in the sunlight, it changed from black to dark cobalt, to a lighter blue. :) We also added ghost-flames that we mixed w/ different amount of pearl. You could only see them at certain angles and certain light. :cool:

4S FED said:
We did a Toyota Celica in a midnight blue that had a bunch of blue pearl in it. When it was inside, it looked black. When it was outside, it looked like the metal had got hot and changed colors (Like it was on re-entry, or something!). It was SWEET looking. I wish I had pictures. Depending on the angle in the sunlight, it changed from black to dark cobalt, to a lighter blue. :) We also added ghost-flames that we mixed w/ different amount of pearl. You could only see them at certain angles and certain light. :cool:

Sounds cool :rockwoot:
I'll have to start looking for a good shop that can do stuff like ghost-flames....a buddy of mine recommended getting some ghost flames as well...:ylsuper:

Thanks for the info.

DCSpecial said:
Sounds cool :rockwoot:
I'll have to start looking for a good shop that can do stuff like ghost-flames....a buddy of mine recommended getting some ghost flames as well...:ylsuper:

Thanks for the info.

They are hard to do "tastefuly". :) I had one guy that wanted them, and when we were done with it he was like: "Why can't you see them all time?" :doh: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A high end clear is what gives you depth and clarity and I've got that covered. The only blue I have at the moment is Viper Blue simply because we make popular restoration/street colors in 'factory packed' gallons since we don't have a mixing machine that's available to the public.

My 02 7.3 was true blue and so is my brother's 01 GT convertible. IMO a little tweaking of the metallic and pearl could make that one helluva 'custom' color.

The hood and bumpers have been replaced on his car therefore they have been painted True Blue and cleared with our HS Clear. I had the basecoat tinted to his fuel door because he wanted everything panel painted meaning only the hood, bumpers and decklid that were replaced were painted. It's a major pain in the arse to do a car like this and have it match from every angle but he didn't want the rest of the car painted on.

#$%^ Family.:doh: :aiwebs_004:

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas and opinions guys. I definately have some thinking to do. I do like the idea of tweaking the true blue to make it a custom color...

DCSpecial said:
Thanks for the ideas and opinions guys. I definately have some thinking to do. I do like the idea of tweaking the true blue to make it a custom color...

it looks baaaaaaaaaaaaad with some more flake in it under a good clear. :ylsuper:

Back