What does your MAP sensor read 2002

Turbonetics TQ

Turbonetics Turbochargers
Looking to see what your Map sensor reads on a stock 2002 VP truck if anyone has that information.
-No boost foolers.
-No tunes.
-ECM reflashed to verify no unknown software.
-New MAP sensor

I have checked with multiple scanners and everything reads 55 inHg with truck not running.
Current barometric pressure: 24.5 inHg. So according to the truck it’s showing 30.5 inHg of pressure above atmospheric (if I am reading/understanding correctly)
This is showing 14.9 PSIG without truck running.

My math brain is weak. Just when I think I grasp it, I revert back to...wait..what ?

I believe your Manifold Air Pressure sensor is calibrated/zeroed to 14.7ish PSI. So, the 30.5 inches of mercury is added by default..?

Last edited:
Got a snap on scanner on it and it shows 12psia no load (which is the atmospheric pressure).
Max boost on the snap on scanner: 33 psia
So 33 Psia- 12 psi = 21 psig (Isspro gauge is showing 20)
So I think I was chasing some that was not there. It was just showing up with the cheaper scan tools.
The truck is an 02’ with a 6 speed and is horribly slow, like drop it in to 4th gear if there is a head wind.
-All the regular VP issues have been checked off ie: fuel pressure, codes, Inj pump is new ish. Air tested for boost leaks. Absolutely no smoke and the pyrometer will top out at 800°F pre turbo.

Have found a random issue while troubleshooting that will be explored: unplugging the oil pressure sensor does not change the oil pressure. Plugged in or not it will show around 40 psi on the dash.

thats a stock truck..my 01 is a terribly slow pig. itll barely get up to passing speed without a good run. itll downshift into passing gear and makes alotta noise but doesnt go much faster..its dangerously slow.....speed isnt one of the stock trucks best features...lol...edge comp or a smarty maybe...275 inj make it a lot better for cheap

thats a stock truck..my 01 is a terribly slow pig. itll barely get up to passing speed without a good run. itll downshift into passing gear and makes alotta noise but doesnt go much faster..its dangerously slow.....speed isnt one of the stock trucks best features...lol...edge comp or a smarty maybe...275 inj make it a lot better for cheap
Are you saying it's like that now, or when it was stock?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

lol...both...my 01 is dangerously slow
Something wrong with it! Must be why you think it can't tow that camper. Hell, I wouldn't describe my truck like that at all, and it's a slow shifting NV5600 truck. You've got more air and fuel than me even!

no dude..this is the kids truck...the 01..thstock truck...the 02 the flatbed is the hotrod..maybe thats why it feels so slow..lol..the flatbed runs high 13s now in tow trim

no dude..this is the kids truck...the 01..thstock truck...the 02 the flatbed is the hotrod..maybe thats why it feels so slow..lol..the flatbed runs high 13s now in tow trim
Build the trans, then add power!

Have you checked power, supply and ground to see what voltage they are each on at each sensor?

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

I never got a chance to finish troubleshooting this truck as the owner sold it before I could get back to looking at it.

Back