Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
chris lang

Name: chris lang
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
correct valve springs

i know the iformations on here somewhere, just cant find exactly what im looking for.

what would be the best springs to run on cr -w- 4000k rpm, 66 and apx 30-35 lpm injectors, scheid street cam. i dont wanna go too heavy cause i think that would be too hard on the valve seats for a dd truck. also, would ceramic coating the exhaust valve face dissipate the heat to protect the seats better?

thanks for the help guys

Old 11-26-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
chris lang

Member`s Gallery
well im gettin 110# springs hope it doesent hurt anything in the long run

Old 11-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
OT-OF-Here

Name: OT-OF-Here
Title: Owner of the Black Beach
Member`s Gallery
Springs

Well don't make the mistake/s I have with springs. Don't buy a single spring,.. buy doubles like hp gassers. I had two of the most popular springs on this site and they don't hold their seat pressures and they end up all over the place on their pressures. If you don't have them tested then you DON't know!! I did! After 20k miles they were fatigued and are junk.

I went with Bill Fletcher's dual springs.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
homewrecker

Name: homewrecker
Title: gear jammer
Member`s Gallery
Ball park price on Fletchers springs? Im assuming a little more than the other 2 popular brands

05 2500 QC Laramie sport
Garmon built tranny
FI 63/68/.91 ETR-HO S480/92/1.25
dual pumps
105% injectors

Old 11-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OT-OF-Here View Post
Well don't make the mistake/s I have with springs. Don't buy a single spring,.. buy doubles like hp gassers. I had two of the most popular springs on this site and they don't hold their seat pressures and they end up all over the place on their pressures. If you don't have them tested then you DON't know!! I did! After 20k miles they were fatigued and are junk.

Have you checked the dual springs after 20K yet?
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 11-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
tirefrier

Name: tirefrier
Title: Coal Train conductor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post
Ball park price on Fletchers springs? Im assuming a little more than the other 2 popular brands
the price i got was close to what all the other guys was charging for the single spring.houge has the double spring as well i think his was mo money tho.
62/71/13ss^s475

Old 11-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
OT-OF-Here

Member`s Gallery
Dual springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
Have you checked the dual springs after 20K yet?
No I haven't but I know several running them who have.

For pricing on Fletcher's stuff call: 425-876-6993. Best time to call is around 2PM -5PMCST.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
cummins724

Name: cummins724
Title: BREAKING $HIT
Member`s Gallery
The Hamilton springs 110# were updated recently, not sure if you guys are aware. The old 110# are no longer available. The new springs are still 110#, but a better design along with a higher price tag.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
BgBlDodge

Name: BgBlDodge
Title: Hates hippies
Member`s Gallery
Hamilton springs here and no sign of valve float at 4k rpms and 50+psi of boost.

Tyler Williams

We have become educated beyond our intelligence. -Jerry Clower

Old 11-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #10
Howling

Name: Howling
Title: Soot Sniffer
Member`s Gallery
Hamilton as well

2006 Dodge CTD/48re 4x4 Sport
With some fuel and air.
Bullseye,Hamilton,Exergy,EFI,ATS,FASS,HTS,Thuren, Toyo's...

1996 2500 RC 4x4 CTD-63/68/.83,5X.014,180 maxed Ppump,Fass...

Old 11-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #11
OT-OF-Here

Member`s Gallery
Unfounded??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Cams View Post
Our springs are triple shot peend which stress relieves them so that they do not lose a great deal of pressure after being run for a given amount of time. I think what you are seeing are opinions that are not founded. I hear a lot of people trash many products without any backup data. Which springs, how much load loss, what was the difference between spring pressures in the set at x height? I think without answers to these questions, opinions are just that unfounded opinions.

Duals have advantages and dis-advantages. I think blindly calling them a fix all is very short sighted. For one thing they add a great deal of additional mass to the valvetrain. Another thing to look at is the material, treatments and coating.

We looked at pros and cons of different designs with some of the best engineers in the world for springs before we settled on our designs. For the low rpm, lift and mass of the cummins valvetrain a single is more than ample.

Chris Lang, there are many different designs that will work well for you. How much lift does your cam have? As far as valve seats, spring pressure does not affect their life span. How hard the valve hits or closes on the seat is determined by the closing ramp on your cam multiplied by rpm. On the ceramic coating, I have not had the best of luck with ceramic coating staing put in a cummins combustion chamber.
If a product is junk then it is junk and mine were tested at my local machine shop,... as were the others.

You opened your mouth and proved the point by changing your own product you showed it was sub par and that's why you have attempted a re-do,... also yet to be proven. Why would you change it except that it was not cutting it. The proof is in your change. Your just lucky others haven't tested theres as I did or they would know. I didn't read about you giving refunds for your original springs?? Now guys know and will be getting their springs test and then they will know who is full of it!!

I didn't even use your name or product but you decided to come at me so suffer the result.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #12
torquemondster

Name: torquemondster
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I am interested in this since i have his springs from last year...

Old 11-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #13
2007 5.9

Name: 2007 5.9
Title: West Coast Dyno Modifier
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquemondster View Post
I am interested in this since i have his springs from last year...
X2...from almost 2 years ago....
silverbullettuning@gmail.com
www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
BgBlDodge

Member`s Gallery
So your telling me that since a company went and modified their part to make it better then that automatically means the original part was junk? Damn. If everyone went by that then no one would ever develop a new part or enhance the design of a part. Technologies have changed over the years since Zach first came out with his springs and all he did was implement them into his new springs to give us an even better product.

And since you seem to have the spring rates of Zach's springs used and seem content with calling him out since he posted a rebuttal to you then why don't you post up the spring ratings? After all, if they are as bad as you say they are then the public needs to know.

Tyler Williams

Last edited by BgBlDodge; 11-30-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #15
cummins724

Name: cummins724
Title: BREAKING $HIT
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BgBlDodge View Post
So your telling me that since a company went and modified their part to make it better then that automatically means the original part was junk? Damn. If everyone went by that then no one would ever develop a new part or enhance the design of a part. Technologies have changed over the years since Zach first came out with his springs and all he did was implement them into his new springs to give us an even better product.

And since you seem to have the spring rates of Zach's springs used and seem content with calling him out since he posted a rebuttal to you then why don't you post up the spring ratings? After all, if they are as bad as you say they are then the public needs to know.

I agree with this azzhat 100%. I sell Hamilton products and I want to know what I'm selling.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #16
OT-OF-Here

Member`s Gallery
Talk about logic??

So I buy something that proved after 20K it doesn't hold up and then I'm suppose to spend the time and money to have another set put on,.. now that's not logical.

I'm saying YOU knew before this for sure and that's why you changed them,.. duh!

All the proof you need is coming your way by other readers who will dang sure have their springs tested now and then the embarassment will be front and center.

And why would they believe me,.. at least enough to have them tested? Because unlike you I'm not selling them anything.

Exit left yourself.

Last edited by OT-OF-Here; 11-30-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: add info

Old 11-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
BgBlDodge

Member`s Gallery
So you expect us to believe you without any proof other than your say so? If I didn't know better I'd say that you were running someones springs, another company told you theirs were better from the testing they've done, sold you a set, and your just regurgitating what they told you.

Tyler Williams

Old 11-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #18
chris lang

Member`s Gallery
take that, no you take that, hiaaa, now you take that

Old 11-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #19
chris lang

Member`s Gallery
anyways thanks a lot for the help guys. im running a schied street cam, i think its about a big stick or so in comparason. not sure the intake, exhaust, lsa, duration...cam talk. reputable machine shop said itll be good for me.

im not spinning over 3500rpm. i really havnt seen a lot of power over that with street trucks.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #20
chris lang

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OT-OF-Here View Post

what was the viariance on the seat pressure? i know theres a tolerance but dont know it without my good ole manual.

Closed Thread