24V breathers

roachie

Taco Master
Ive gotten alot of blow by for some reason, my stock vent didnt seem to be keeping up so I cut two holes in the valve cover and installed some push in filter type breathers. Drove home and they were severly leaking oil through the element on the engine. Guess Ill be getting a new cover tomorrow so what do I do after I install it to relieve this pressure? Any other vent ideas?

Get some good quality breathers (AFE) for the existing holes in your cover or have a baffle welded on the inside of it to prevent splashing oil from entering the elements directly.
-Tom

don't get a new cover.....

Just plumb something to them and take the stuff to the ground.... Overflow bottle, or something like that. I never had good luck with breathers like you are talking about... I'm no 5.9liter genious and have less knowledge than most may think.... but anything I ever owned I have wrung out a time or two and for some reason that always creates a little oooze.

I just take mine to a #10 line and run it to the bottom of the front axle. I get a few residuall drip drops on the driveway, but it's gonna get there eventually. If your anal, run it into a catch can and make it part of your regular maintenance routine to dump it.

Just my Friday thoughts.... they'll change by Monday.

Tcolesanti said:
Get some good quality breathers (AFE) for the existing holes in your cover or have a baffle welded on the inside of it to prevent splashing oil from entering the elements directly.
-Tom

I like the baffle idea... I'm gonna run up to the store and get a 24 pack and get started.

Better stop by the local welding joint and pick up a bottle of argon and a tig machine while your at it...........:)

-Tom

Tcolesanti said:
Better stop by the local welding joint and pick up a bottle of argon and a tig machine while your at it...........:)

-Tom
Tom.... Good Idea:rockwoot:

it's 9:59PM EST and you'll never believe ... they answered the phone and got the stuff in will call for me!

Rock On !

I already ordered a new red cummins cover that dosent say dodge on it, I like the look of the breathers and need the function. Im thinking about making some baffles and reinstalling the old one before I cut up the nice one. Thought the black covers were some type of magnesium alloy? If so I dont want to be in the build when some one attempts to weld them:eek: Can some one tell me how much power I can sqeeze out of this 180 pump without going 13mm? (while I have some eyes on me)

Breathers.

index.php

Not to steal the thread, but this may be related....I have an oil leak up front somewhere(timing cover or front of the oilpan somewhere) Could I need a breather on my VC? Would adding one possibly help?

Back