Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > SwitchBlade Turbos
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
Cam73
 
Cam73's Avatar

Name: Cam73
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Western WA
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 106
I've followed this turbo on and off for a few years now but always ruled it out due to price. Pretty exciting to see it under $2K. Its now an option vs a small twin set.

Is this price available on the 66mm turbo?

I saw in another thread you guys initially ruled out air actuation because it was not responsive enough. Has there been some improvement made? Any more info on the type of cylinder used? Is the performance less than the electronically controlled version?

Would the design allow for an exhaust brake function?

Does the vane require any maintenance?

Thanks.
__________________
1997 Dodge 2500 CC LB 4X4 5SPD
 
Old 11-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #22
zstroken
 
zstroken's Avatar

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Western Michigan(by the lake)
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 22,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam73 View Post
I've followed this turbo on and off for a few years now but always ruled it out due to price. Pretty exciting to see it under $2K. Its now an option vs a small twin set.

Is this price available on the 66mm turbo?

I saw in another thread you guys initially ruled out air actuation because it was not responsive enough. Has there been some improvement made? Any more info on the type of cylinder used? Is the performance less than the electronically controlled version?

Would the design allow for an exhaust brake function?

Does the vane require any maintenance?

Thanks.

I think they were just playing around, and after lots of tweaking felt they could do it with air. Blaylock makes the air cylinder, and had several iterations of making the cylinder before he got the results he wanted. I am sure Gwoody will respond to fill you in on what was gone through to make this work.
__________________
2008 4x4 Megacab, 68RFE
97 Dodge gone....
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!
 
Old 11-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #23
Gwoody
 
Gwoody's Avatar

Name: Gwoody
Title: Switchblade Turbos
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seneca Missouri
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 406
We do offer a 66m venison and I THINK the additional cost is about $300. In the early stages of development there were some issues trying to move the vane with air so Jim went to an electric actuator motor. This really simplified the development process but also raised the price significantly. He was able to design a cylinder that produces identical results to the electric version. The cylinder and vane requires no extra maintenance.
 
Old 11-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
Cam73
 
Cam73's Avatar

Name: Cam73
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Western WA
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 106
Sounds good.

Has the 66mm been on a 12 valve yet? If so, how was spool up and did it have a stock head and cam?
__________________
1997 Dodge 2500 CC LB 4X4 5SPD
 
Old 11-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #25
Gwoody
 
Gwoody's Avatar

Name: Gwoody
Title: Switchblade Turbos
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seneca Missouri
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 406
The 66 has not been on a 12v. Jim's 02 is currently running the 66 and I have had one on my 06. If you want to buy the 66 and are not satisfied, return it in good shape within 30 days for a full refund.

Last edited by Gwoody; 11-03-2012 at 10:02 PM.
 
Old 11-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #26
stackx2
 
stackx2's Avatar

Name: stackx2
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rio Oso,CA
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 375
Can an exhaust brake function be utilized?
__________________
91.5 dodge, 180 p pump, 4k gov. springs, #0 plate, typical afc mods, contagious diesel 5x18 @ 260 bar, 60 lbs valve springs, ARP head studs, t4 steed speed exh. Manifold, 63/68/.88 t4, powerstroke intercooler, nv4500 with sb3250, cab and chassis Dana 80 3:55ls
 
Old 11-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #27
dieselbeef
 
dieselbeef's Avatar

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: myakka city florida
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 7,008
i would really like to know the man of the basic unit..also is a billet wheel avail for it

id consider giving it a try soon as i sell my current setup.

gary
__________________
02 quad cab . aluminum flatbed, silver, 63/68/14..best move in along time, iis hrvp, INJ by weston, drag comp, 4.10, gorend/suncaost auto, got rid of the bastard oily stack...2nd best move ever, im back to liking my truck now that its a TOW PiG!


im the other gary dammit
 
Old 11-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #28
Gwoody
 
Gwoody's Avatar

Name: Gwoody
Title: Switchblade Turbos
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seneca Missouri
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 406
This unit is not designed to be utilized as an exhaust brake.

Last edited by Gwoody; 11-04-2012 at 08:34 AM.
 
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #29
Gwoody
 
Gwoody's Avatar

Name: Gwoody
Title: Switchblade Turbos
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seneca Missouri
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
i would really like to know the man of the basic unit..also is a billet wheel avail for it

id consider giving it a try soon as i sell my current setup.

gary
The manufacturer of the unit is shown in the above picture, the BT casting insignia is Blaylock Turbochargers. No billet wheel currently available.
 
Old 11-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #30
smokinVE
 
smokinVE's Avatar

Name: smokinVE
Title: $$+VE=NO HP
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Desart
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,439
I saw something about a t4, is that the same price? Has one been bolted to a 1st gen yet? Is there any plans on trying to get some maps of the 63? Or any plans for a bilit wheel?
 
Old 11-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #31
chevota84
 
chevota84's Avatar

Name: chevota84
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prineville, OR
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinVE View Post
I saw something about a t4, is that the same price? Has one been bolted to a 1st gen yet? Is there any plans on trying to get some maps of the 63? Or any plans for a bilit wheel?
I believe it's just a cast 63mm borg compressor/housing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
__________________
99 Dodge 2500 with stuff
 
Old 11-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #32
Lostnwalmart
 
Lostnwalmart's Avatar

Name: Lostnwalmart
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tokyo Japan
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 8,959
hmmm This could be interesting in a set of twins.
__________________
Ecorico scooter!!
-Cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Anybody that would not haul a dinosaur for an orphanage is no friend of mine.
To some people it's all about money. Geez
Click the image to open in full size.
 
Old 11-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #33
smokinVE
 
smokinVE's Avatar

Name: smokinVE
Title: $$+VE=NO HP
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Desart
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,439
I just read over the other thread that was going about this turbo, got most of my answers there about it, I miss understood the t4 while skimming this thread.

There was some derail about the charger about half way threw the tread. For the most part from what I saw it wouldn't really work out well for my poor little rotary pump. I need to be, for the most part "on top of" the charger by 2200-2500 rpm given my limited rpm with my little rotary pump. My 12mm pump I can spin to 3500, but it starts to drop fuel off at the 3200 rpm range. The 14mm will fuel all the way to 3200 but I try not to take it past 3000-3100 rpm.

I was hoping this would be my answer to a larger single that would work for my pump. Unless I'm not reading the graphs that "zstroken" (<I think that's right?) put up, it's kinda a pain to get going in the lower rpm. Also given that I've got a nv4500 it will need to "re" spool each shift.

I'm just trying to prolong the real answer of me needing to break down and make a small set of twins, which is the real answer to my problem. < my guess is 99% of the guys on here will say the real solution to my problem would be to put a real pump on my engine. But I'm not out to try and break any horse power numbers or drag times. Just want a nice set up that I don't have to worry about. Which I believe most will agree a VE is good for, low horse power but brick chit house reliable.
 
Old 11-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #34
Cam73
 
Cam73's Avatar

Name: Cam73
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Western WA
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 106
Seeing as its a 63/68 I'd lean towards the CHA being BW.

What is the exducer of the turbine wheel on the 66mm turbo?
__________________
1997 Dodge 2500 CC LB 4X4 5SPD
 
Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #35
Gwoody
 
Gwoody's Avatar

Name: Gwoody
Title: Switchblade Turbos
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seneca Missouri
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam73 View Post
Seeing as its a 63/68 I'd lean towards the CHA being BW.

What is the exducer of the turbine wheel on the 66mm turbo?
What is the CHA you are refereeing to?

Exducer on the 66 turbine is 73mm.
 
Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #36
Gwoody
 
Gwoody's Avatar

Name: Gwoody
Title: Switchblade Turbos
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seneca Missouri
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinVE View Post
I just read over the other thread that was going about this turbo, got most of my answers there about it, I miss understood the t4 while skimming this thread.

There was some derail about the charger about half way threw the tread. For the most part from what I saw it wouldn't really work out well for my poor little rotary pump. I need to be, for the most part "on top of" the charger by 2200-2500 rpm given my limited rpm with my little rotary pump. My 12mm pump I can spin to 3500, but it starts to drop fuel off at the 3200 rpm range. The 14mm will fuel all the way to 3200 but I try not to take it past 3000-3100 rpm.

I was hoping this would be my answer to a larger single that would work for my pump. Unless I'm not reading the graphs that "zstroken" (<I think that's right?) put up, it's kinda a pain to get going in the lower rpm. Also given that I've got a nv4500 it will need to "re" spool each shift.

I'm just trying to prolong the real answer of me needing to break down and make a small set of twins, which is the real answer to my problem. < my guess is 99% of the guys on here will say the real solution to my problem would be to put a real pump on my engine. But I'm not out to try and break any horse power numbers or drag times. Just want a nice set up that I don't have to worry about. Which I believe most will agree a VE is good for, low horse power but brick chit house reliable.
We do not have one of these on a VE truck. Where are you located? I really don't think you would have a problem spooling this charger.
 
Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #37
Gwoody
 
Gwoody's Avatar

Name: Gwoody
Title: Switchblade Turbos
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seneca Missouri
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
i believe it's just a cast 63mm borg compressor/housing.

Sent from my sch-i535 using xparent blue tapatalk 2
MMMM,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-002S.jpg (46.9 KB, 0 views)
 
Old 11-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #38
smokinVE
 
smokinVE's Avatar

Name: smokinVE
Title: $$+VE=NO HP
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Desart
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,439
Arizona, outside of Phoenix by a few miles. Reason for asking?

Spooling isn't my issue, I've gotten a hx52 to "spool", it was a super dog so I need to be efficiently. Lower in the rpm curve the better. My poor little 351 holds on, but it is way out of it's map and drive pressures are not great at 51psi of boost with the 9cm housing.

Are you suggesting I'll be "on top" of this 63 switch balde by low to mid 2,000 rpm range while shifting gears? I'm sport for trying a product, but from what I read on the other thread and some other feed back I'm a bit apprehensive. Please re read my post about rpm and where I need to pressure. If it won't work for me that is fine, but please don't tell me it will be all ok and be the greatest thing since the thong!!!
 
Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #39
Gwoody
 
Gwoody's Avatar

Name: Gwoody
Title: Switchblade Turbos
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seneca Missouri
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinVE View Post
Arizona, outside of Phoenix by a few miles. Reason for asking?

Spooling isn't my issue, I've gotten a hx52 to "spool", it was a super dog so I need to be efficiently. Lower in the rpm curve the better. My poor little 351 holds on, but it is way out of it's map and drive pressures are not great at 51psi of boost with the 9cm housing.

Are you suggesting I'll be "on top" of this 63 switch balde by low to mid 2,000 rpm range while shifting gears? I'm sport for trying a product, but from what I read on the other thread and some other feed back I'm a bit apprehensive. Please re read my post about rpm and where I need to pressure. If it won't work for me that is fine, but please don't tell me it will be all ok and be the greatest thing since the thong!!!

I can't tell you that it will definitley work on your truck, I've never seen your truck so I am dealing with very limited information. As far as thongs go they irritate my toes, !! As far as the feedback on the other thread, any negative opinions came from people that have never even seen a Switchblade turbo in person. What I can tell you is that if you buy one and your are not satisfied, return it in good condition within 30 days for a full refund.
 
Old 11-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #40
zstroken
 
zstroken's Avatar

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Western Michigan(by the lake)
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 22,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwoody View Post
As far as thongs go they irritate my toes, !!

One word.... Crocs!
__________________
2008 4x4 Megacab, 68RFE
97 Dodge gone....
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.

 


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 - 2018, CompetitionDiesel.com
all information found on this site is property of www.competitiondiesel.com