Thanks to the Garmon's gang!

Cummin-a-long

Big Angry
First and foremost, thanks to Jeff for letting me use and abuse his space with this friggin nightmare transmission that I brought up to put on his dyno.

Second, thanks to Rick for all the help with the damn thing! You da man!

Phil....thanks for rebuilding the TC without the azz rape price.

Kyle......that's a funny MF'r right there!

Let's start this off right. Back in November, a buddy brought his truck in and the trans was toast. When I say toast, I mean FUUUUUUUUBAR! The only thing moving this truck was the grace of god.

Here is what it looked like when I got it.....input shaft hub was mangled, every clutch pack was steel on steel (most of them welded or warped), VB was cracked, etc....

Slide4.jpg

Slide5-1.jpg

Slide2-2.jpg

Slide2-3.jpg

Slide3-4.jpg

Slide4-4.jpg

Not only this, but this was a 48RE that was stuffed full of 47RE and RH parts. Planetaries, sun shell, pistons, etc......

So, all new parts were ordered, I rebuilt the trans, had Jeff do a valve body for it, Phil rebuilt the converter and back together the trans went.

Got it on the road and within a mile it lost all forward drive.

Tore it down and the rear clutches were smoked.....WTF!

Checked everthing, changed seals, put new clutches in and put it back in.....same thing.....mile down the road, lost all forward drive.

Pull it in, check the pressures, pressures are good.......back out the trans comes.

This continued about 3 more times.

Finally, we totally rebuild it again, all fresh parts, all new clutches, all new seals, etc.

Before I was putting it back in, I wanted to put it on Jeff's dyno and see if it was good. No problem, dropped it off and went up there today to get it.

We put it on the dyno and as soon as it hits 4th gear....WHAM....locks up tight as a drum. Rick backed it out, went back through 1 - 3 and as soon as it hit 4th gear....WHAM....tight as a drum.

Pulled the OD section off, took it all apart, everything looked fine, compared it with another OD section that just came off the dyno and they were identical.

Put the OD section back on and, again, as soon as it hit 4th gear....WHAM!

Rick pulled the OD section, swapped it with one that was just on the dyno and it worked perfect....no issue at all.

So the two OD's were taken apart, put next to each other and ABSOLUTELY nothing was visually wrong. Rick tore them down to nothing and there wasn't a damn thing wrong.

So both went back together and were standing side by side and after a few minutes, Rick sees it.....the internals of the OD section were sitting a full 1/8" deeper in the case than the one that was working. Not just at the top, the output shaft was sticking out that far as well.

The friggin OD case was so far out of whack that the OD piston couldn't release the clutches and it when it hit 4th gear, it tried to spin the sprag backwards and locked it up tight.

I would have NEVER, EVER found this trying to diagnose it in the truck....NEVER.

Jeff, Rick, Kyle.....I can't thank you guys enough for the time spent and letting me invade your space and pick your brains on this thing. You guys will certainly be getting every referral I have for a trans.

You guys ROCK!

:Cheer:

Last edited:
Great Write up Rich!!

I Told ya so!!! They are great folks at Garmons!!

Can't wait to see some new numbers and track times from ya!!

David

Great Write up Rich!!

I Told ya so!!! They are great folks at Garmons!!

Can't wait to see some new numbers and track times from ya!!

David

Had mine on the track this past sunday. Ran good considering it was a green track and I haven't put it on the rollers yet to tune it, but I can't complain. Should still be able to knock another 2/10th's off the ET's on 1/8 when all is said and done.

We had the Chevelle out too. Only had it turned up to 10 psi, otherwise it just wasted to tires out of the hole.

These were the first few passes we made since getting them both back up and running......mine is running Jeff's VB and Phil's TC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0SF661iWFg

Last edited:
Great writeup Rich! Glad you were able to get that magled mess figured out!

I got me a stock rebuild, put Phil's TC in and I STILL have to take it to Jeff's. (Guess that's what I get for trying to use a warranty. :bs:) The TC is awesome, so I'm really looking forward to gettin' the VB right too.

Well, the drama continues with that transmission......

Got back, pulled my trans out of my truck and swapped the OD section onto the trans in question. Took the guts out of mine and put his guts in my case and sure as hell the clearance was much closer, so the OD case is definitely toast.

Today, put the trans back in his truck, wanted to make sure 1 - 3 was okay first, so we drive it with the OD off. No problems at all. Came back, checked the fluids and pulled back out, this time with in just normal drive. Went fine.

Came back, checked the fluids again, went back out and as soon as it hit 4th gear it bound up.

Turn the OD off, get it back and gave Jeff a call. Like anything else it's tough to diagnose something on the phone, but he damn sure had the gears turning trying to figure this thing out.

Decided to swap valve bodies with the one in my trans and give that a try.

Pulled out on the road and when it hit 3rd gear, it bound for a second, released and went smoothly into 4th......WTF!......did that each time.

Jeff figured with the the front band was hitting too quick, so we backed it off a turn and took it for a ride.....as soon as it hit third it bound up and stopped the truck.

Another call to Jeff, and let me tell ya, anybody that can follow those friggin fluid diagrams for the valve body is a friggin genius, but that's what he did.

After going through all that and the parts that it's torn up, the only thing he thinks can be causing it is the reverse band is trying to apply when the trans is in drive. So it's either a surface that isn't flat or a crack internally in the case.

What a nightmare this trans has been.

Brother, this thing has been a NIGHT-MARE!

When Rick goes, "I ain't never seen that before"

And Jeff goes, "Well hold on now, this thing has me interested"

You know somethin' just ain't right.

:hehe:

Brother, this thing has been a NIGHT-MARE!

When Rick goes, "I ain't never seen that before"

And Jeff goes, "Well hold on now, this thing has me interested"

You know somethin' just ain't right.

:hehe:

YUP! LOL

Every now and again there's something like that that just drives everyone crazy.. Then they finally find it and Everyone learns from it....

Sorry it's you though!

Yeah, but at least I have the means to pull it relatively quickly and find broke chit.

A lift and a trans jack beat a driveway and floor jack anyday.

If anything good has come of it, I've pulled the trans out of that truck so many damn times, I can just look at it now and say, "Out!" and it's in the back of my truck ready to go to Garmon's.

:lolly:

Back