Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 6.0 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

6.0 Powerstroke Discussion of the 03-06 6.0

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
Larsonator

Name: Larsonator
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I think my 03 POS has stuck vanes, too

My truck has been sitting at a friends body shop for 2 months. I've only started it briefly and moved it around, with a few 20 minutes idles. In taking it on the first trip down the road today, it wouldnt hardly get out of it's own way. This is with a PSD gonzo tune. At first, I was wondering if the new 36's on it were messing it up, since I had 295's when I got the tune, but then I noticed it hitting 30 psi with just a crack of the throttle, and burying it way past 35 under WOT.

My question is, what are the chances it'll come out of it by driving it around. If not, can I take the turbo apart and clean it?

I really dont fee like buying a turbo. Then I'll need injectors, then a tranny, etc. I dont have the time or money for any of that right now. I could probably find a stock turbo, but it wont be an 03 whistler.

thanks
Eric

Old 04-25-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
bdp

Name: bdp
Title: beans diesel performance
Member`s Gallery
If they are stuck and wont free up then just pull the turbo and clean them and lube them with some antisieze. Its really not too difficult to do, just take your time and remember how it came apart.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
caddy-cat

Name: caddy-cat
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
maybe you should try NOT letting it sit for 2 months

Old 04-26-2006, 07:10 AM   #4
nummit

Name: nummit
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy-cat
maybe you should try NOT letting it sit for 2 months

I think he was doing some body work

Welcome aboard Eric

Old 04-26-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
caddy-cat

Member`s Gallery
if you want to call it that...

Old 04-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
nummit

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
if you want to call it that...

Old 04-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
Larsonator

Member`s Gallery
vanes stuck

bdp...I'm assuming it's intake tube and downpipe, and the the turbo comes right off. any special tools needed to take it apart?

<caddy-cat maybe you should try NOT letting it sit for 2 months >

yeah, thanks for the tip, idiot.

Eric

Old 04-26-2006, 11:37 AM   #8
bdp

Member`s Gallery
dp, vband that connects to up pipes and three bolts that hold it to the pedistal and the oil feed on top, then some contorting and cussing to squeeze it out of its hole.

Tools needed, 10mm wrench and socket, 11mm or 7/16 deep socket or ratchet wrench for the vbands. Spray the vbands with penetrating fluid so they come loose easy.

Once off the truck get it on a bench and take the vband off the turbine housing and lift the turbine off. You will see the vanes and how they work under a ring that ties them all together, take them off and clean them up along with everything else, brake cleaner works well and also Purple Power degreaser cuts soot well. Once its all clean wipe them all down with Anti-sieze and reassemble them then put the ring back on and line up the accuator dowl as you set the turbine back on.

Sounds more difficult then it is.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
UNBROKEN

Name: UNBROKEN
Title: Ezekiel 25:17
Member`s Gallery
Not hard to remove at all...I did a whole swap in less than an hour last week.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #10
caddy-cat

Member`s Gallery
so...that'll be about 17 hours for the larsonator.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #11
nummit

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
so...that'll be about 17 hours for the larsonator.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #12
Larsonator

Member`s Gallery
I'm glad you two find each other amusing.

17 hours is probably right, but that would drop if I could figure out how to shake you from "helping"...

anyways, is the VGT sensor right in this area? It's probably a good time to upgrade to the 06 VGT and matching oil line. Maybe even do the ebp sensor. The truck has 41k on it, and is an 03, so if I can prevent any future breakdowns, I'd just assume replace the parts now. thoughts?

are there any mods worth doing to a stock turbo? When I had a wrx, everyone would gasket match it to the uppipe, and smooth out the exit.

Also, is there a gasket between the turbo and uppipe?

Eric

Old 04-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #13
bdp

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsonator
I'm glad you two find each other amusing.

17 hours is probably right, but that would drop if I could figure out how to shake you from "helping"...

anyways, is the VGT sensor right in this area? It's probably a good time to upgrade to the 06 VGT and matching oil line. Maybe even do the ebp sensor. The truck has 41k on it, and is an 03, so if I can prevent any future breakdowns, I'd just assume replace the parts now. thoughts?The solenoid is right on the center section, one bolt and pull it out.

are there any mods worth doing to a stock turbo? When I had a wrx, everyone would gasket match it to the uppipe, and smooth out the exit. If you want to send the turbo to me then there is a real nice mod I can do to it.:aiwebs_011:

Also, is there a gasket between the turbo and uppipe?no

Eric

Bean

Old 04-26-2006, 07:12 PM   #14
nummit

Member`s Gallery
Since you have low miles why no get Ford to fix it? Should'nt turbo issues be covered under the 100,000 mile engine warranty

Old 04-26-2006, 08:04 PM   #15
Larsonator

Member`s Gallery
warranty

I'm pretty sure I dont have a warranty. It's a recovered theft, with all remnants of the factory VIN removed. It only has a Maine VIN on the door jam. I know what the original VIN is, but not sure how to prove it's the one that originally came with my truck.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:04 AM   #16
nummit

Member`s Gallery
Might be worth looking into. I cant see how Ford could void a warranty due to a vehicle being stolen but it sounds like something they would do. But I would try before I paid for a new turbo and oil supply line

Old 05-01-2006, 04:53 AM   #17
Larsonator

Member`s Gallery
stuck turbo

I came pretty close to shipping the turbo out to bean, but I really don't have money right how. I decided to try taking the turbo apart and clean it. It took us about 5 hours, start to finish. A half hour was going to get some brake clean, and probably an hour was cutting the stock downpipe out to put an mbrp in.

I'd call the overall job a pain in the ***. It might be mostly due to standing on a step ladder and a bucket, because the 6" lift.

I wasn't able to get the new solid oil supply line on. My 03 line has a threaded connection. The 06 style just sticks in a hole with a little retention bracket. I'll post the question in the other thread I started on that.

It did work, though. Seems to regulate boost like normal again.

thanks for the help

Eric

Closed Thread