Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > Diesels for Christ
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #2001
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Name: GOLDDUSTERS5703
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I’m Rich!

Read: Psalm 119:9–16 | Bible in a Year: Ezekiel 35–36; 2 Peter 1

I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. Psalm 119:14

Perhaps you’ve seen the TV ad in which a person answers the door and finds someone who hands over a check for an enormous amount of money. Then the amazed recipient begins shouting, dancing, jumping, and hugging everyone in sight. “I won! I’m rich! I can’t believe it! My problems are solved!” Striking it rich evokes a great emotional response.

In Psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible, we find this remarkable statement: “I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches” (v. 14). What a comparison! Obeying God’s instructions for living can be just as exhilarating as receiving a fortune! Verse 16 repeats this refrain as the psalmist expresses grateful gladness for the Lord’s commands. “I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.”

Gratitude is both an attitude and a choice.
But what if we don’t feel that way? How can delighting in God’s instructions for living be just as exhilarating as receiving a fortune? It all begins with gratitude, which is both an attitude and a choice. We pay attention to what we value, so we begin by expressing our gratitude for those gifts of God that nourish our souls. We ask Him to open our eyes to see the storehouse of wisdom, knowledge, and peace He has given us in His Word.

As our love for Jesus grows each day, we indeed strike it rich!

Dear Father, open our eyes that we may see wonderful things in Your law. Thank You that Your instructions give wise advice.

Rich treasures of God’s truth are waiting to be discovered in His Word.

INSIGHT:
Psalm 119 is the longest psalm in the Bible. Although the author is not named, most scholars say David composed it because the psalm sounds Davidic in tone and expression and is consistent with David’s experiences. The focus of its 176 verses is God and His Word. God is mentioned in every verse, while the entire psalm celebrates the Scriptures and speaks of their priority and sufficiency in the daily life of the believer, using a wide variety of words to capture the different dimensions of God’s Word in our lives. Scripture is described as “law” (vv. 1, 7), “statutes” (vv. 2, 14), “ways” (vv. 3, 15), “precepts” (vv. 4, 15), “decrees” (vv. 5, 8, 12, 16), “commandments” (vv. 6, 10), and “word” (vv. 9, 11, 16).

PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Old 11-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #2002
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
What Are You Worth?

Read: 1 Peter 1:17–23 | Bible in a Year: Ezekiel 37–39; 2 Peter 2

It was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed . . . but with the precious blood of Christ. 1 Peter 1:18–19

There is a story that in 75 bc a young Roman nobleman named Julius Caesar was kidnapped by pirates and held for ransom. When they demanded 20 talents of silver in ransom (about $600,000 today), Caesar laughed and said they obviously had no idea who he was. He insisted they raise the ransom to 50 talents! Why? Because he believed he was worth far more than 20 talents.

What a difference we see between Caesar’s arrogant measure of his own worth and the value God places on each of us. Our worth is not measured in terms of monetary value but by what our heavenly Father has done on our behalf.

Our worth is measured by what God paid to rescue us.
What ransom did He pay to save us? Through the death of His only Son on the cross, the Father paid the price to rescue us from our sin. “It was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ” (1 Peter 1:18–19).

God loved us so much that He gave up His Son to die on the cross and rise from the dead to ransom and rescue us. That is what you are worth to Him.

Father, thank You for the love You have shown to me and for the price You paid for my forgiveness. Help my life to be an ongoing expression of gratitude, for You are the One whose worth is beyond measure.

Our worth is measured by what God paid to rescue us.

INSIGHT:
In today’s reading Peter tells his readers that Christ has redeemed them from an empty way of life. In the original language, the word translated “redeemed” (v. 18) means “to set free.” It is often used when talking about slaves who have been liberated from their bondage. They had been set free from the bondage of a futile and useless way of life that has been handed down to them from their ancestors. And this redeeming love of Christ was present even before sin entered the equation (vv. 18-20). Have you ever thought about the fact that Christ loves you knowing everything about you, even your sin? How does it make you feel that you have been or can be set free from the slavery of sin and death?

Old 12-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #2003
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The View from 400 Miles

Read: John 1:1–14 | Bible in a Year: Ezekiel 40–41; 2 Peter 3

The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. John 1:9

“My perspective on earth changed dramatically the very first time I went into space,” says Space Shuttle astronaut Charles Frank Bolden Jr. From four hundred miles above the earth, all looked peaceful and beautiful to him. Yet Bolden recalled later that as he passed over the Middle East, he was “shaken into reality” when he considered the ongoing conflict there. During an interview with film producer Jared Leto, Bolden spoke of that moment as a time when he saw the earth with a sense of how it ought to be—and then sensed a challenge to do all he could to make it better.

When Jesus was born in Bethlehem, the world was not the way God intended it. Into this moral and spiritual darkness Jesus came bringing life and light to all (John 1:4). Even though the world didn’t recognize Him, “to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God” (v. 12).

The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. John 1:9
When life is not the way it ought to be we are deeply saddened—when families break up, children go hungry, and the world wages war. But God promises that through faith in Christ anyone can begin to move in a new direction.

The Christmas season reminds us that Jesus, the Savior, gives the gift of life and light to everyone who will receive and follow Him.

Father in heaven, may we share the light and life of Jesus with others today.

Share the hope of Christmas with your family and friends. Visit us at ourdailybread.org/GiftofGrace for outreach resources.

God is at work to make us who He intends us to be.

INSIGHT:
The Lord Jesus gives the gift of light (John 8:12) and life (14:6) to all who believe in Him so they may enter into and experience eternal life with God (3:15–16; 6:47; 17:3). God has given us light embodied in Jesus (the living Word; John 1:1) and expressed in print in the written Word of God, the Bible (Ps. 119:105). As we focus on Jesus and immerse our minds responsively in God’s words, we find light shining more and more upon our daily path. Then we are better able to be what God intended us to be.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #2004
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Quiet Conversations

Read: Psalm 116:5–9 | Bible in a Year: Ezekiel 42–44; 1 John 1

Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits. Psalm 103:2

Do you ever talk to yourself? Sometimes when I’m working on a project—usually under the hood of a car—I find it helpful to think aloud, working through my options on the best way to make the repair. If someone catches me in my “conversation” it can be a little embarrassing—even though talking to ourselves is something most of us do every day.

The psalmists often talked to themselves in the Psalms. The author of Psalm 116 is no exception. In verse 7 he writes, “Return to your rest, my soul, for the Lord has been good to you.” Reminding himself of God’s kindness and faithfulness in the past is a practical comfort and help to him in the present. We see “conversations” like this frequently in the Psalms. In Psalm 103:1 David tells himself, “Praise the Lord, my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name.” And in Psalm 62:5 he affirms, “Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him.”

Reminding ourselves about God's goodness can keep us filled with His peace.
It’s good to remind ourselves of God’s faithfulness and the hope we have in Him. We can follow the example of the psalmist and spend some time naming the many ways God has been good to us. As we do, we’ll be encouraged. The same God who has been faithful in the past will continue His love for us in the future.

Dear Lord, please help me to stay in touch with Your heart today by reminding myself of Your faithfulness and love.

Reminding ourselves about God's goodness can keep us filled with His peace.

INSIGHT:
From this marvelous passage of Scripture, we can see the truth that bringing the God of the Bible into our daily experience alters our perspective. His grace and truth is available in our ever-changing circumstances. Even in our most difficult life circumstances, He is present and available to deliver us. Although our heart may endure trauma, it can still find a place to rest through looking at the past faithfulness of God. Fear of death, emotional anguish, and the struggle for daily direction all find their remedy in the faithful care of the living God who made us. Life for God’s children should be spelled with a capital L since He energizes, directs, and protects us.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #2005
PSUCE

Name: PSUCE
Member`s Gallery
Today's post gave me a chuckle. My wife catches me doing this all the time when I'm working on something and asks me "who are you talking to?".

Good reads as always, thank you for posting these.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #2006
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
That's funny. Thank you for taking the time to read. Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #2007
PSUCE

Name: PSUCE
Member`s Gallery
Thank you, and the same to you and yours.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #2008
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Constant Kindness

Read: Psalm 141:1–4 | Bible in a Year: Daniel 3–4; 1 John 5

Be kind and compassionate to one another. Ephesians 4:32

When I was a child I was an ardent reader of L. Frank Baum's Land of Oz books. I recently came across Rinkitink in Oz with all the original artwork. I laughed again at the antics of Baum's irrepressible, good-hearted King Rinkitink with his down-to-earth goodness. Young Prince Inga described him best: “His heart is kind and gentle and that is far better than being wise."

How simple and how sensible! Yet who has not wounded the heart of someone dear to us by a harsh word? By doing so, we disturb the peace and quiet of the hour and we can undo much of the good we have done toward those we love. "A small unkindness is a great offense,” said Hannah More, an 18th-century English writer.

Be kind and compassionate to one another. Ephesians 4:32
Here’s the good news: Anyone can become kind. We may be incapable of preaching an inspiring sermon, fielding hard questions, or evangelizing vast numbers, but we can all be kind.

How? Through prayer. It is the only way to soften our hearts. “Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips. Do not let my heart be drawn to what is evil [or harsh]” (Ps. 141:3–4).

In a world in which love has grown cold, a kindness that comes from the heart of God is one of the most helpful and healing things we can offer to others.

Forgive me, Lord, when I bring anger into a situation. Soften my heart and help me use my words to encourage others.

Read words from Oswald Chambers at utmost.org

The knowledge that God has loved me beyond all limits will compel me to go into the world to love others in the same way. Oswald Chambers

INSIGHT:
One of the experiences that shaped David's life—and his psalms—was his time as a refugee from a homicidal King Saul. David had two opportunities to usher in the fulfillment of his anointing as king by killing Saul (chs. 24, 26), and both times he was encouraged to do so by some of his followers. However, he did not kill Saul but left the situation in God’s hands. It may be these instances specifically that are at the root of the words of Psalm 141. The God who gave David strength to avoid evil deeds continues to offer help to us when we are faced with temptation. When have you asked God to help you resist a temptation in your life?

Old 12-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #2009
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Beautiful Unity

Read: Ephesians 4:1–6 | Bible in a Year: Daniel 5–7; 2 John

Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:3

Seeing three large predatory animals cuddle and play together is extremely unusual. Yet this is precisely what happens daily in an animal sanctuary in Georgia. In 2001, after months of neglect and abuse, a lion, a Bengal tiger, and a black bear were rescued by Noah’s Ark Animal Sanctuary. “We could have separated them,” said the assistant director. “But since they came as a kind of family, we decided to keep them together.” The trio had found comfort in each other during their time of mistreatment, and, despite their differences, they live peacefully together.

Unity is a beautiful thing. But the unity Paul wrote about in his letter to the believers in Ephesus is unique. Paul encouraged the Ephesians to live up to their calling as members of one body in Christ (Eph. 4:4–5). By the power of the Holy Spirit they would be able to live in unity as they developed humility, gentleness, and patience. These attitudes also allow us to lovingly bear “with one another in love” through the common ground we have in Christ Jesus (4:2).

Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:3
Despite our differences, as members of the family of God we have been reconciled to Him through the death of our Savior and reconciled to each other through the ongoing work of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

Heavenly Father, help me to grow in gentleness and patience toward others. Show me how to love others, even when we may have differences.

We keep unity by being united in the Spirit.

INSIGHT:
The ancient city of Ephesus was large and diverse. In the first century, many philosophies and religions in Ephesus competed with Christianity, and this diversity presented some unique theological and ethical challenges to the Christ-followers who lived there. In his letter to the believers in Ephesus, the apostle Paul wanted to be sure they understood that peace with God could only be achieved through faith in Christ’s death and resurrection. Other ideas might sound appealing, but salvation rests exclusively in Christ. Saving faith is not about converting to a religion; it is about receiving and then living out a new life from Christ that reflects God’s love, mercy, and wisdom.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #2010
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The Gift of Encouragement

Read: Acts 4:32–37; 9:26–27 | Bible in a Year: Daniel 11–12; Jude

Joseph . . . whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means “son of encouragement”), sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles’ feet. Acts 4:36–37

An old Merle Haggard song, “If We Make It Through December,” tells the story of a man laid off from his factory job with no money to buy Christmas gifts for his little girl. Although December is supposed to be a happy time of year, his life seems dark and cold.

Discouragement is not unique to December, but it can be amplified then. Our expectations may be higher, our sadness deeper. A little encouragement can go a long way.

Thank You, Lord, for the gift of encouragement. May we encourage others as they have encouraged us.
Joseph, a man from Cyprus, was among the early followers of Jesus. The apostles called him Barnabas, which means “son of encouragement.” We meet him in Acts 4:36–37 when he sold a piece of property and donated the money to help other believers in need.

Later, we read that the disciples were afraid of Saul (Acts 9:26). “But Barnabas took him and brought him to the apostles” (v. 27). Saul, later called Paul, had formerly been trying to kill the believers, but Barnabas defended him as a man transformed by Christ.

All around us are people longing to be encouraged. A timely word, a phone call, or a prayer can bolster their faith in Jesus.

The generosity and support of Barnabas demonstrate what it means to be a son or daughter of encouragement. That may be the greatest gift we can give to others this Christmas.

Thank You, Lord, for the gift of encouragement. May we encourage others as they have encouraged us.

Encouragement may be the greatest gift we give this Christmas.

INSIGHT:
When Saul of Tarsus met the Lord Jesus Christ on the road to Damascus, he was transformed into an apostle of Christ. Needless to say, the Christian community was fearful and skeptical about Paul’s apparent change of spiritual loyalties. It is in this context that Barnabas provided a wonderful service of bridge-building. Barnabas was central to Paul’s acceptance by supporting Paul’s conversion story and accepting him as a brother in Christ. Here we see Barnabas showing a spirit of generosity and encouragement. How can you plan to be a blessing to others through an intentional act of encouragement?

Old 12-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #2011
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The Money

Read: Matthew 6:24–34 | Bible in a Year: Hosea 9–11; Revelation 3

You cannot serve both God and money. Matthew 6:24

Early in my career while doing work that I saw as more of a mission than a job, another company offered me a position that would give a significant increase in pay. Our family could surely have benefited financially from such a move. There was one problem. I hadn’t been looking for another job because I loved my current role, which was growing into a calling.

But the money . . .

Lord, help us not to see the obstacles but to see what You are teaching us.
I called my father, then in his seventies, and explained the situation. Though his once-sharp mind had been slowed by strokes and the strain of years, his answer was crisp and clear: “Don’t even think about the money. What would you do?”

In an instant, my mind was made up. The money would have been my only reason for leaving the job I loved! Thanks, Dad.

Jesus devoted a substantial section of His Sermon on the Mount to money and our fondness for it. He taught us to pray not for an accumulation of riches but for “our daily bread” (Matt. 6:11). He warned against storing up treasures on earth and pointed to the birds and flowers as evidence that God cares deeply about His creation (vv. 19–31). “Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness,” Jesus said, “and all these things will be given to you as well” (v. 33).

Money matters. But money shouldn’t rule our decision-making process. Tough times and big decisions are opportunities to grow our faith in new ways. Our heavenly Father cares for us.

Never confuse temptation with opportunity.

INSIGHT:
One of the most remarkable aspects of today’s reading is the harmony our Lord maintains between a heavenly perspective and the practical issues of daily life. He uses examples in nature to show how our heavenly Father tenderly cares for animal and plant life. Since we are of far more value than they are, Christ counsels us to trust Him to care for us one day at a time (v. 34).

Old 12-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #2012
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Good News!

Read: Nahum 1:7–15 | Bible in a Year: Hosea 12–14; Revelation 4

Look, there on the mountains, the feet of one who brings good news, who proclaims peace! Nahum 1:15

World news bombards us from the Internet, television, radio, and mobile devices. The majority seems to describe what’s wrong—crime, terrorism, war, and economic problems. Yet there are times when good news invades the darkest hours of sadness and despair—stories of unselfish acts, a medical breakthrough, or steps toward peace in war-scarred places.

The words of two men recorded in the Old Testament of the Bible brought great hope to people weary of conflict.

Lord, we praise you for the good news of Jesus’s birth and for His powerful presence in our lives today.
While describing God’s coming judgment on a ruthless and powerful nation, Nahum said, “Look, there on the mountains, the feet of one who brings good news, who proclaims peace!” (Nah. 1:15). That news brought hope to all those oppressed by cruelty.

A similar phrase occurs in the book of Isaiah: “How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation” (Isa. 52:7).

Nahum and Isaiah’s prophetic words of hope found their ultimate fulfillment at the first Christmas when the angel told the shepherds, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord” (Luke 2:10–11).

The most important headline in our lives every day is the very best news ever spoken—Christ the Savior is born!

The birth of Jesus is the best news the world has ever received!

INSIGHT:
We can associate “good news” of peace from war (Nahum 1:15) with the “good news” of Jesus’s birth (Luke 2:10). We might imagine a huffing, puffing runner (in Nahum 1:15)—like the famed runner to Sparta for whom “marathon” is named—who has come a long distance. Is he now pausing “on the mountains” to shout to hearers in the valley, “The war is over!”? No wonder the herald’s “feet” are celebrated—he “proclaims peace!” (1:15). In Old Testament thought “peace” (shalom) is not just the absence of war; it is a full-orbed idea that represents wellness and wholeness. Have you received the Christ who Himself, through His death, is the believer’s peace? (Eph. 2:14–15).

Old 12-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #2013
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Living in the Light

Read: 1 John 2:3–11 | Bible in a Year: Joel 1–3; Revelation 5

The darkness is passing and the true light is already shining. 1 John 2:8

It was a dark morning. Low, steel-colored clouds filled the sky, and the atmosphere was so dim that I needed to turn on the lights in order to read a book. I had just settled in when the room suddenly filled with light. I looked up and saw that the wind was pushing the clouds to the east, clearing the sky and revealing the sun.

As I went to the window to get a better look at the drama, a thought came to mind: “The darkness is passing and the true light is already shining” (1 John 2:8). The apostle John wrote these words to believers as a message of encouragement. He went on to say, “Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble” (v. 10). By contrast, he equated hating people with roaming around in darkness. Hatred is disorienting; it takes away our sense of moral direction.

Dear God, I want to live in the light of Your grace and mercy.
Loving people is not always easy. Yet I was reminded as I looked out the window that frustration, forgiveness, and faithfulness are all part of maintaining a deep connection with the love and light of God. When we choose love instead of hate, we are showing our relationship with Him and reflecting His radiance to the world around us. “God is light; in him there is no darkness at all” (1 John 1:5).

Dear God, help me to experience Your love more fully so that I can share it with others. I want to live in the light of Your grace and mercy.

Choosing to love people well shows the world what God is like.

INSIGHT:
Today’s passage has perplexed many believers. Is John teaching that if we have any hatred in our hearts, then we are not genuine believers? It is very important to understand a concept in Greek grammar in order to capture what the passage is saying. The verb tense used here means “continuous action in the present.” This means the verb could be paraphrased “continually hating.” Therefore, when John speaks of someone hating, he is talking about an unrepentant lifestyle of continuously living in hatred toward another. The authentic walk of faith is not a sinless walk, but one in which the believer feels uncomfortable with sin and reaches out to God for forgiveness and change.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 AM   #2014
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
One Short Sleep

Read: 1 Thessalonians 4:13–18 | Bible in a Year: Amos 1–3; Revelation 6

We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. 2 Corinthians 5:8
Henry Durbanville, a Scottish pastor from another era, told the story of an elderly woman in his parish who lived in a remote part of Scotland. She longed to see the city of Edinburgh, but she was afraid to take the journey because of the long, dark tunnel through which the train had to pass to get there.

One day, however, circumstances compelled her to go to Edinburgh, and as the train sped toward the city, her agitation increased. But before the train reached the tunnel, the woman, worn out with worry, fell fast asleep. When she awoke she had already arrived in the city!

I love the life you've give to me, Lord!
It’s possible that some of us will not experience death. If we’re alive when Jesus returns, we will “meet the Lord in the air” (1 Thess. 4:13–18). But many of us will pass into heaven through death and for some that thought causes great anxiety. We worry that the process of dying will be too difficult to bear.

With the assurance of Jesus as our Savior we can rest in the confidence that when we close our eyes on earth and pass through death, we will open our eyes in God’s presence. “One short sleep past we wake eternally,” John Donne said.

I love the life You’ve given to me, Lord, yet I wonder what it will be like to see You personally. Help me to trust You with the future. I look forward to that day when I meet You.

To see Jesus will be heaven’s greatest joy.

INSIGHT:
After Paul describes Christ’s return in 1 Thessalonians 4:13–5:11, he proceeds to discuss daily living (5:12–24). It is easy to get lost in the intricacies and complexities of biblical prophecy. However, it is all a “revelation of Jesus Christ” (Rev. 1:1). Amid all the trumpeting and reunions, it is “the Lord himself [who] will come down from heaven” (1 Thess. 4:16). Then Christians will be gloriously “like him for we shall see him as he is” (1 John 3:2). How does the vision of Christ’s return have an impact on you individually and practically?

Old 12-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #2015
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Enemy Love

Read: Jonah 3:10–4:11 | Bible in a Year: Jonah 1–4; Revelation 10

If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Luke 6:32

When war broke out in 1950, fifteen-year-old Kim Chin-Kyung joined the South Korean army to defend his homeland. He soon found, however, that he wasn’t ready for the horrors of combat. As young friends died around him, he begged God for his life and promised that, if allowed to live, he would learn to love his enemies.

Sixty-five years later, Dr. Kim reflected on that answered prayer. Through decades of caring for orphans and assisting in the education of North Korean and Chinese young people, he has won many friends among those he once regarded as enemies. Today he shuns political labels. Instead he calls himself a loveist as an expression of his faith in Jesus.

God, please give us the grace to be more like Jesus.
The prophet Jonah left a different kind of legacy. Even a dramatic rescue from the belly of a big fish didn’t transform his heart. Although he eventually obeyed God, Jonah said he’d rather die than watch the Lord show mercy to his enemies (Jonah 4:1–2, 8).

We can only guess as to whether Jonah ever learned to care for the people of Nineveh. Instead we are left to wonder about ourselves. Will we settle for his attitude toward those we fear and hate? Or will we ask God for the ability to love our enemies as He has shown mercy to us?

Father in heaven, like Your reluctant prophet, we are inclined to love only those who love us. Yet You loved us even when we cared only for ourselves. Please give us the grace to be more like Jesus than Jonah.

Love conquers all.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #2016
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Spreading Joy

Read: John 16:16–24 | Bible in a Year: Micah 1–3; Revelation 11

The angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.” Luke 2:10

When Janet went to teach English in a school overseas, she found the atmosphere gloomy and depressing. People did their jobs, but no one seemed happy. They didn't help or encourage one another. But Janet, grateful for all that God had done for her, expressed it in everything she did. She smiled. She was friendly. She went out of her way to help people. She hummed songs and hymns.

Little by little, as Janet shared her joy, the atmosphere at the school changed. One by one people began to smile and help each other. When a visiting administrator asked the principal why his school was so different, the principal, who was not a believer, responded, “Jesus brings joy.” Janet was filled to overflowing with the joy of the Lord and it spilled over to those around her.

Take the joy of Christmas with you every day.
The gospel of Luke tells us that God sent an angel to ordinary shepherds to deliver an extraordinary birth announcement. The angel made the surprising proclamation that the newborn baby “will cause great joy for all the people” (Luke 2:10), which indeed He did.

Since then this message has spread through the centuries to us, and now we are Christ's messengers of joy to the world. Through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, we continue the practice of spreading the joy of Jesus as we follow His example and serve others.

How might you spread the joy of Jesus to others today?

Share your story at odb.org

Take the joy of Christmas with you every day.

INSIGHT:
Just as the angel appeared in the night sky to give shepherds reason for joy, Jesus also used a dark moment to offer His disciples reason for hope on the other side of His suffering and their confusion. What they didn’t yet know would only be revealed in time. Christ’s death was a loving Father’s way of reconciling a rebel world to Himself. The despair of that night was necessary so that, three days later, a reason for hope now, and fullness of joy later, could be offered to all (v. 33).

Old 12-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #2017
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
A Personal Story

Read: Exodus 1:22–2:10 | Bible in a Year: Micah 4–5; Revelation 12

Even if my father and mother abandon me, the Lord will hold me close. Psalm 27:10 nlt

A baby just hours old was left in a manger in a Christmas nativity outside a New York church. A young, desperate mother had wrapped him warmly and placed him where he would be discovered. If we are tempted to judge her, we can instead be thankful this baby will now have a chance in life.

This gets personal for me. As an adopted child myself, I have no idea about the circumstances surrounding my birth. But I have never felt abandoned. Of this much I am certain: I have two moms who wanted me to have a chance in life. One gave life to me; the other invested her life in me.

Share the love of Christ.
In Exodus we read about a loving mother in a desperate situation. Pharaoh had ordered the murder of all baby boys born to the Jewish people (1:22). So Moses’s mother hid him as long as she could. When Moses was three months old, she put him in a watertight basket and placed the basket in the Nile River. If the plan was to have the baby rescued by a princess, grow up in Pharaoh’s palace, and eventually deliver his people out of slavery, it worked perfectly.

When a desperate mother gives her child a chance, God can take it from there. He has a habit of doing that—in the most creative ways imaginable.

Father, today we pray for those facing desperate and lonely times. We pray especially for poor and defenseless children everywhere. Help us meet their needs as we are able.

Share the love of Christ.

INSIGHT:
As a result of Jochebed’s faith in God, Moses was saved. Amazingly, Jochebed was even paid by Pharaoh’s daughter to nurse her own son! (Ex. 2:7–9). As the grandson of the Pharaoh, Moses was given the best education possible as well as military and administrative training that would enable him to lead many Jews out of Egypt (Acts 7:22). Pharaoh sponsored all of this. The baby in peril is now a baby of privilege. Only God could accomplish something like this!

Old 12-22-2016, 08:58 AM   #2018
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The Best Gift Ever

Read: 1 Peter 3:8–16 | Bible in a Year: Micah 6–7; Revelation 13

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. 1 Peter 3:15

At a winter retreat in northern New England, one of the men asked the question, “What was your favorite Christmas gift ever?”

One athletic man seemed eager to answer. “That’s easy,” he said, glancing at his friend next to him. “A few years back, I finished college thinking I was a sure bet to play professional football. When it didn’t happen, I was angry. Bitterness ate at me, and I shared that bitterness with anyone who tried to help me.”

The best Christmas gift is Jesus bringing peace and forgiveness to others.
“On the second Christmas—and second season without football—I went to a Christmas play at this guy’s church,” he said, gesturing toward his friend. “Not because I wanted Jesus, but just to see my niece in her Christmas pageant. It’s hard to describe what happened because it sounds silly, but right in the middle of that kids’ play, I felt like I needed to be with those shepherds and angels meeting Jesus. When that crowd finished singing ‘Silent Night,’ I just sat there weeping.

“I got my best Christmas present ever that very night,” he said, again pointing to his friend, “when this guy sent his family home without him so he could tell me how to meet Jesus.”

It was then that his friend piped up: “And that, guys, was my best Christmas present ever.”

This Christmas, may the joyful simplicity of the story of Jesus’s birth be the story we tell to others.

The best Christmas gift is Jesus bringing peace and forgiveness to others.

INSIGHT:
Do you struggle at times to find the right words to talk about the good news to someone who hasn’t yet accepted it? If so, the apostle Peter offers a refreshingly flexible approach to sharing our faith. He urges us to give others a reason to ask about our hope in Christ (3:15). If we honor Christ as Lord in our hearts first, the difference it makes in us will prompt questions (v. 15). Peter envisions the kind of transformation that others will envy—in the best sense of the word. Those living under the influence of Christ will treat one another with compassion and humility (v. 8). They won't return evil for evil, or insult for insult, but rather blessings for curses (v. 9). This difference in our lives will help others open themselves up to receiving the best gift they could ever receive.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #2019
estrada5.9

Name: estrada5.9
Member`s Gallery
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. 1 Peter 3:15

I'd really like to make a T-SHIRT that says on the front "I have hope" and on the back "ask me why". I talk about it but never seem to take action. Seems like it could be a good tool.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #2020
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The Perfect Gift

Read: Romans 11:33–12:2 | Bible in a Year: Genesis 4–6; Matthew 2

Offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Romans 12:1

The weeks after Christmas are the busiest time of year in the US for merchandise returns as people trade unwanted gifts for what they really want. Yet you probably know a few people who always seem to give the perfect gift. How do they know just what another person values and what is right for the occasion? The key to successful gift-giving is not money; it’s listening to others and taking a personal interest in what they enjoy and appreciate.

This is true for family and friends. But what about God? Is there anything meaningful or valuable that we can give to God? Is there anything He doesn’t already have?

Dear Lord, I’m Yours. I want to offer myself to You—heart, mind, and will.
Romans 11:33–36, a song of praise to God for His great wisdom, knowledge, and glory, is followed by a call to give ourselves to Him. “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship” (12:1). Instead of being shaped by the world around us, we are to be “transformed by the renewing of [our] mind” (v. 2).

What’s the best gift we can give to God today? In gratitude, humility, and love we can give ourselves completely to Him—heart, mind, and will. It’s just what the Lord is longing to receive from each of us.

Dear Lord, I’m Yours. I want to offer myself to You—heart, mind, and will—in humble service and in thankful worship for all You have done for me.

The best gift we can give to God is ourselves.

INSIGHT:
As Paul begins to describe the new life we can have because of what Jesus has done (Rom. 12–16), he calls for a radical commitment involving the dedication of our bodies and transformation of our minds (12:1–2). God does not require that we die for Him; rather, we are to live for Him—“to offer [ourselves] as a living sacrifice” (v. 1). In the Old Testament two kinds of sacrifices were offered: propitiatory and dedicatory. Propitiatory or atoning sacrifices are mandatory sacrifices to atone for sin and to restore fellowship with God. Jesus, the Lamb of God (John 1:29), is the perfect and final propitiatory sacrifice. Paul emphasizes that “Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed” (1 Cor. 5:7). Dedicatory sacrifices are thank offerings voluntarily offered to God to express thankfulness, love, and joyful worship in response to divine blessing or His mercy and grace (Lev. 7:11–15; 22:29; Pss. 50:14, 23; 107:22). We can never offer ourselves as atoning sacrifices (no human person can) because only “Jesus, the Lamb of God, [can take] away the sin of the world” (John 1:29). But we are all qualified to be a thank offering, to be “living sacrifices.”

Closed Thread