Remove intercooler

Is there a way without removing the radiator too? I'm really trying not to mess it. I can't get the radiator lifted high enough to pull the IC out of the bottom. What a PITA.

It isn't that much to pull the rad is it ?

No, I just don't want to mess with the antifreeze mess, and get all sticky. It feels like 100 and 100 outside, I don't need to be any more miserable. I'm going to do it early in the morning before the sun gets high.

I just threw this up in case someone knew some slick little way to slide the IC out, and I could finish it tonight. Didn't really plan on getting a response lol.

I couldn't in my 98. In my restoration build I put the radiator in first without knowing it went in last. I tried and tried but couldn't do it. I also didn't wanna mess up any paint in the process either. Its a real tight fit so I'd just pull the radiator to be safe. Last thing ya want it to crack the end tank on the radiator from trying to force the intercooler in. Then you be really pissed. Dang 100°! We've been lucky to see 70° here in Ohio.

I was able to remove the factory intercooler with out removing the radiator. You will have to remove the two top bolts and move it side to side a tad, but it's doable. Unfortunately for me, I still had to remove my Rad to get the BD cooler in place.

Thanks guys LOL

I did get the IC out. I had to leave the rad in though, because I couldn't get the shroud off, because the washer resovoir refused to come out, so I couldn't get the bolt behind it. So I removed the pass side bolts, popped the shroud off, and had two friends lift the rad up and out enough for me to pull the IC out of that side. Then the drivers side just twisted out. Still a pain in the ass, but lost only 1/2 gal of coolant, and didn't get sticky except from the humidity lol.

More questions:

1: has anyone had the drain port on the rad not drain? I opened and nothing came out, I'm assuming its just gunked up? The fluid is still bright green, gets new stuff every year for various reasons LOL. Could I leave it open and start the truck, and hope the pressure will free it up?

2: to remount the trans cooler and condenser, could I just use those metal ties that hold electric fans to radiators? The ties would also be holding the new w/a radiators, so 3 units deep, with the engine radiator still mounted solid. If not, could I just run a metal bar with holes from the rad support to the bottom crossmember, and mount to that? I just want to make sure I'm not going to overthink something like vibrations.

Last edited:
Pull and keep twisting on the plug, it will slide all the way out and you should be able to stick a pick in the hole. Eventually you will clean enough of it to drain, but there will still be a lot of gunk in there.

Pull and keep twisting on the plug, it will slide all the way out and you should be able to stick a pick in the hole. Eventually you will clean enough of it to drain, but there will still be a lot of gunk in there.

I was afraid to break it so I didn't mess with it lol. it opened up by hand even. I just can't see it being that gunked up. The hoses are spotless inside, the radiator itself still looks like new inside (what you can see anyways, and the fluid that came out was new. I suppose it doesn't take much to plug it though.

Back