Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
JR12

Name: JR12
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Lighting Compounds

I just put on a set of compounds 62/ht3b on my 97. And im having a hell of a time getting them to spool before 2200 rpms. but when they hit they hit very hard. I have ruled out boost and exhaust leaks already. have tried timing from 16-20 degrees verifying it every time before changing it again to rule out any gear slip. gets slightly better with more timing but how far should I push it? ive spent so much time trying to tune the afc and the fastest I can get it to light is 2200. As of right now I have the wastegate plugged trying to rule that out.

Mods
160 pump benched and balanced to 380cc 4k springs
Brand new OFV
10 plate slid forward
5 x .014 injectors
raptor pump (set to 35psi)
p&p / oringed head clamped with ARPs
188 208 cam
dps compounds 62/ht3b 26cm housing
valve lash has been set to .010 and .020

I have a 351 I can put on if I have to throw that on for faster spool. but there should be no reason these turbos don't come alive sooner. I have .024 DVs if its not enough fuel to light them already?? Does my 160 pump need a lot of timing to make it spool friendly? I have a few more boost gauges on the way so I can monitor drive pressure and primary pressure.

Is there any suggestions on something I can do in the meantime..

Old 08-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
Headcase98002

Name: Headcase98002
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Do you have the .70 or .80 housing? I preferred the .70 housing when I ran a set-up similar.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
JR12

Member`s Gallery
.70 is what im running now and its just completely baffling me that I cant get it to light with my tighter exhaust housing.

The more research im doing it looks like the 160 pumps like higher timing? 20-24* is this accurate?

Old 08-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
160 pumps like higher fuel pressure as well. I lit my he351/ht3b compounds lightning fast so you must have an issue. I assume the 62 is gated. Have you made sure the wastegate on the 62 is not stuck open or leaking?

North American Turbo

Old 08-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Ghostman

Name: Ghostman
Title: 24v crazy
Member`s Gallery
Hole in AFC diaphram?
2006 QCSB 4wd - EFI Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
VE vs VP....isn't that like watching retard's fight?

Old 08-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
JR12

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
Hole in AFC diaphram?
AFC is in good shape. I took it apart and inspected it after hours of tuning just to make sure I wasn't punching myself in the peter and trying to tune for no reason.
though I do still have the stock spring in it. would it help for me to get a stiffer aftermarket spring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
160 pumps like higher fuel pressure as well. I lit my he351/ht3b compounds lightning fast so you must have an issue. I assume the 62 is gated. Have you made sure the wastegate on the 62 is not stuck open or leaking?
62 is gated. but plugged at the moment. and I have verified it is in the closed position. What would the best way to check for leaks be?

You have the 160 pump on your 95 im assuming? would you be willing to enlighten me with your pump tuning/timing and maybe I can try using that as kind of a baseline? I know all trucks are different. but at this point im willing to try anything...including ditching the 62 just to try my 351 to see if I have better luck..

If I do throw the 351 on there what were you using for a wastegate? im under the impression that the stock wastegate will not work because you have to clock the turbo and it binds up somewhere?

I hate asking all these questions making me seem like im an idiot but im new to the compound world and I just want my pickup back....

Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
Ghostman

Member`s Gallery
I just welded a washer onto the turbine housing and used a spring and washer and nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 QCSB 4wd - EFI Live

Quote:

Old 08-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
JR12

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
I just welded a washer onto the turbine housing and used a spring and washer and nut.

You wouldn't happen to remember any info on that spring would you? I think I have a picture in my mind of how to do this..

Old 08-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
Ghostman

Member`s Gallery
Just got an assortment from the hardware store. It needs to be pretty stuff if I remember right and have enough travel to not bind

2006 QCSB 4wd - EFI Live

Quote:

Old 08-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
DirtyMaxx03

Name: DirtyMaxx03
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
You wouldn't happen to remember any info on that spring would you? I think I have a picture in my mind of how to do this..
They sell little car door springs at advanced autoparts or napa, etc. that what I used to make a spring gate it it worked perfect.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Try a set up better delivery valves if yours are still the stock ones. Not saying full cuts or anything but a mild upgrade makes a big difference in spool on the 160 pumps I've been around.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #12
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
AFC is in good shape. I took it apart and inspected it after hours of tuning just to make sure I wasn't punching myself in the peter and trying to tune for no reason.
though I do still have the stock spring in it. would it help for me to get a stiffer aftermarket spring?

62 is gated. but plugged at the moment. and I have verified it is in the closed position. What would the best way to check for leaks be?

You have the 160 pump on your 95 im assuming? would you be willing to enlighten me with your pump tuning/timing and maybe I can try using that as kind of a baseline? I know all trucks are different. but at this point im willing to try anything...including ditching the 62 just to try my 351 to see if I have better luck..

If I do throw the 351 on there what were you using for a wastegate? im under the impression that the stock wastegate will not work because you have to clock the turbo and it binds up somewhere?

I hate asking all these questions making me seem like im an idiot but im new to the compound world and I just want my pickup back....

It was a 160 pump on a 2001 24v. I had stock dvs, 4ks, 7x12 injectors, and very little afc tuning.

What are the specs on the 62? Not all 62mm turbos are created equal.

North American Turbo

Old 08-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #13
JR12

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
Try a set up better delivery valves if yours are still the stock ones. Not saying full cuts or anything but a mild upgrade makes a big difference in spool on the 160 pumps I've been around.
I have a set of .024 DVs I am going to throw in there before I break down and swap turbos. What is a good timing for me to set my pump at? I do have a studded and oringed head so im not scared to advance the timing. At what degree does timing start to negatively impact performance?

Quote:
It was a 160 pump on a 2001 24v. I had stock dvs, 4ks, 7x12 injectors, and very little afc tuning.

What are the specs on the 62? Not all 62mm turbos are created equal.
Turbo is a 62/65/12 Dtech

Old 08-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #14
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I have a set of .024 DVs I am going to throw in there before I break down and swap turbos. What is a good timing for me to set my pump at? I do have a studded and oringed head so im not scared to advance the timing. At what degree does timing start to negatively impact performance?

Turbo is a 62/65/12 Dtech
That should spool pretty darn well. Did you ever run the charger as a single?

North American Turbo

Old 08-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #15
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
20°

Old 08-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #16
Gambler

Name: Gambler
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
How is your spring in the AFC housing, you may try swapping that out.
#60 springs, FASS 125@55psi, Colt Big Stick , II 62/s475, SD Man ,ARP studs, Fluid Damper, 5x.014 CPP and SB 3250

Old 08-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #17
JR12

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That should spool pretty darn well. Did you ever run the charger as a single?
No I never ran the charger as a single. When I bought my pickup it was a completely different setup. hx40 and a 215 pump. I pulled the pump off because the guy I bought it from dropped a plate bolt in the pump ( which he failed to mention until I asked him about it after I had it for 6 months and it got wedged and bent my levers in the pump) so I found a deal on a 160 pump that had been benched by seth at dpe and came with paperwork. and as I replaced that I just got super carried away with mods and now I am where I am now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
How is your spring in the AFC housing, you may try swapping that out.
As far as I know its still the stock spring and in good shape. ill try switching it out.

Im stuck out at work and wont be home until early next week to try all these suggestions and I really appreciate all the help and ideas you guys are giving me.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #18
JR12

Member`s Gallery
I just now remembered though that when I got the head ported and oringed they decked it .007 and gave me a .020 over head gasket to use. could that extra .013 be dropping my cylinder pressure enough to where I need more timing? That along with a better flowing head and larger cam possibly reducing velocity somehow? and yes cam was degreed on install.

Im just throwing any thought that pops up into my head right now to get as much information as I can.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #19
Gambler

Name: Gambler
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
How new is the compound setup? Also, what size inj washer are you using? I don't think that the .013 is much factor...I still think it's in your AFC or possibility of w/g may not be set correctly or sticking...
I'm definitely not the best trouble shooter when it comes to this area as I am new to this and trying to figure similar things out w/ mine.
#60 springs, FASS 125@55psi, Colt Big Stick , II 62/s475, SD Man ,ARP studs, Fluid Damper, 5x.014 CPP and SB 3250

Old 08-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #20
JR12

Member`s Gallery
I pulled the compound setup off of a wrecked welding truck that me and my brother bought. best 2000 dollar investment ever. the welder alone was 15000 new. So I have no idea on the miles but there isn't any excessive play in either turbo.

As far as injector washers if I remember right they were the thicker sealing washers.. don't quote me I don't exactly remember. I bought all new sealing washers for the injectors and return line when I swapped them in from pure diesel power.

how many degrees difference in timing would the thicker washers cause over the thinner washers.

If they were thicker id want to advance my timing correct?

Closed Thread