Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #7601
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post

I'd love to have any one of those As. I have a big bag Freightliner suspension I'd love to throw under an A on 22.5 low pro tires, get it as low as I could to the ground, put a first gen dodge dually box on it for a "pickup". Just clean it up, make a usable Rat Rod semi. I think I'd be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2015, 09:42 PM   #7602
Meyers Farms

Name: Meyers Farms
Member`s Gallery
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/hvo/5021327248.html

Says the truck has a v12. Curious of the make and any info about the engine?
Old 05-18-2015, 02:28 AM   #7603
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyers Farms View Post
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/hvo/5021327248.html

Says the truck has a v12. Curious of the make and any info about the engine?
Truck is already gone I do know that much, 12v71 two stroke detroit, mostly only good for turning diesel fuel into noise.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:07 AM   #7604
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bersaglieri View Post
I've got Meyers' problem. Too far away.
meyers come to the flywheelers dont ya?

..aint far from there

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...
Old 05-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #7605
Meyers Farms

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
meyers come to the flywheelers dont ya?

..aint far from there
I would definitely like to go, although I've never been to it. Maybe I need to talk to the wife about a vacation!
Old 05-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #7606
Meyers Farms

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Update: my buddy ended up buying this truck from Rush in Houston, TX. He noticed a few issues and Rush said take the truck and when you get home take it to a Kenworth dealer and we will pay to make the truck right. Main issues he noticed were leaking radiator, leaking rear end and some small odds and ends. He drove the truck roughly 1200 miles home and it used a gallon of coolant. Kenworth went through the truck and found 3 dropped liners and a bad head gasket along with leaking radiator and other odds and ends.

Now Rush is standing by their word and paying for a complete in frame.

I'm curious if there is anything in particular he should have done on the in frame while it's tore down? Obviously delete it, but is there anything else you would recommend?

The latest update in the saga of the T800: Last week my buddy picks up the truck from Kenworth after a full inframe, new head, and new radiator. He drives the truck 25 miles to get his inspection completed. Parks the truck and it leaves a large coolant puddle at the dmv. He takes it back to KW
And they replace a leaking radiator hose. He picks up the truck on Friday afternoon and leaves out Saturday night for a run from Black River Ky to East Chicago. Everything is going fine until he hits Gary, IN and starts to smell coolant at 2am Sunday morning. He pulls into a parking lot off the exit and notices coolant all over the bottom of the truck and coming out of the exhaust. At this point the truck won't even turn over. Sounds like it's hydro locked. He proceeds to watch a twerking contest between some black chicks in the parking lot when the bars close.

$1100 later and a 4 hour ride with a Sandy's tow truck driver and his truck is back at the KW dealer. Any thoughts as to what happened? He said he didn't notice any coolant in the oil. Head gasket? Egr cooler? Something else?
Old 05-19-2015, 06:11 AM   #7607
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
typical....

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...
Old 05-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #7608
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The latest update in the saga of the T800: Last week my buddy picks up the truck from Kenworth after a full inframe, new head, and new radiator. He drives the truck 25 miles to get his inspection completed. Parks the truck and it leaves a large coolant puddle at the dmv. He takes it back to KW
And they replace a leaking radiator hose. He picks up the truck on Friday afternoon and leaves out Saturday night for a run from Black River Ky to East Chicago. Everything is going fine until he hits Gary, IN and starts to smell coolant at 2am Sunday morning. He pulls into a parking lot off the exit and notices coolant all over the bottom of the truck and coming out of the exhaust. At this point the truck won't even turn over. Sounds like it's hydro locked. He proceeds to watch a twerking contest between some black chicks in the parking lot when the bars close.

$1100 later and a 4 hour ride with a Sandy's tow truck driver and his truck is back at the KW dealer. Any thoughts as to what happened? He said he didn't notice any coolant in the oil. Head gasket? Egr cooler? Something else?
Is it pushing coolant out of the radiator? Could be EGR cooler cracked and exhaust pressure is getting in the cooling system. Delete it and be done. What KW dealer is it at? FYI If there is coolant in the exhaust his DPF is done.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #7609
Meyers Farms

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Is it pushing coolant out of the radiator? Could be EGR cooler cracked and exhaust pressure is getting in the cooling system. Delete it and be done. What KW dealer is it at? FYI If there is coolant in the exhaust his DPF is done.
I'll find out at lunch all of the details on the coolant. I know he is afraid of deleting it because of the warranty on the engine. The truck is at KW Cincinnati/Palmer Trucks.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #7610
Meyers Farms

Member`s Gallery
It was pushing coolant out of the overflow and burning it through the exhaust. He actually just heard back from KW. They said that an injector blew apart. As I type this they are pulling the head to assess the damage.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #7611
Yooper75

Name: Yooper75
Title: Life sucks, get a helmet!
Member`s Gallery
Anyone have any insight on the MBE 4000 motors and the CAT 7.2L? I'm looking at three Boom Trucks that have the MBE 4000 in the and a Freightliner M2 with a 7.2L CAT.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #7612
kubotaorange76

Name: kubotaorange76
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper75 View Post
Anyone have any insight on the MBE 4000 motors and the CAT 7.2L? I'm looking at three Boom Trucks that have the MBE 4000 in the and a Freightliner M2 with a 7.2L CAT.
on the mercedes....if they are set at 450, i hear at the higher ratings the engines are just pushed too much to the limit much like the ford versions of the 6.0 were

run away!!!! company i worked for at one time had 7 with under 500k on them in sterling day cabs set at 450.

every one had at least one headgasket, 4 of them had new heads and headgaskets twice. plastic fuel lines break, egr goes out, cracked exhaust

in comparison 3 freightliner columbias with same gearing in day cabs with 2004 series 60's set at 455, much better mpg (6-6.5) and these truck are set at 77 mph

both pulled pulled misc. flatbed freight
Old 05-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #7613
Yooper75

Name: Yooper75
Title: Life sucks, get a helmet!
Member`s Gallery
Wonderful........

One of the three booms is set at 435HP the other two are at 450HP all three are in the mid to high 200k range for mileage and we don't put a lot of miles on them annually but a ton of PTO time at job sites. One of the two Sterlings we are looking at just had a motor replaced and the Western Star that I'm pushing for instead of another buying Sterling is set at 435HP.

The big problem I'm having is all the other trucks that have either CAT or Cummins motors are all ragged out piles of crap that are no better than what we have now.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:15 AM   #7614
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
Since y'all want more pictures, try this. Click the image to open in full size.

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd
Old 05-21-2015, 01:46 AM   #7615
Mr.T

Name: Mr.T
Title: DPF's are gay
Member`s Gallery
We made the Pete turn around, he wasn't cool enough to be in the picture hahaClick the image to open in full size.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:18 AM   #7616
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Sweden-Norway border, and taking a break in Norway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0088.jpg (42.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0104.jpg (35.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-21-2015, 06:26 AM   #7617
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
Sweden-Norway border, and taking a break in Norway
No offense, but how does one drive those ugly things?!

If I'm going to drive something, no matter what it is I have to take pride in it. I couldn't take pride in something like that. Just not my style. I like something with a hood out in front of me!
Old 05-21-2015, 12:17 PM   #7618
Mr.T

Member`s Gallery
That's basically all there is in Europe, hoods are pretty rare on that side of the pond because of their road structure, maneuverability is king and COE's have that advantage
Old 05-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #7619
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.T View Post
That's basically all there is in Europe, hoods are pretty rare on that side of the pond because of their road structure, maneuverability is king and COE's have that advantage
Volvo stopped manufacturing hoods after brasilians dumped hoods, Scania was the last one to make them but sales was not big so they gave up also.

I dont understand what class is in 60 years old truck design ? Cramped, noisy, cold, hot, unaerodynamical, unergonomic, unpractical, uncomfortable reminders of dark ages. I understand them as hobby trucks but nothing else.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #7620
Mr.T

Member`s Gallery
Drive a W900L or a 389, theyre literally none of those things.