Cummins ISC hard to start, dies after 2 seconds

02Dmax

Like the title says, I'm working on an ISC with issues. Its in a Case fertilizer spreader machine. The machine has done this several times before but this is the first time I've been the one called to work on it. I replaced the ICV modulator and the transient suppressor as per Cummins troubleshooting steps and what the dealer told me to do, and it fixed it for about 2 hours, then it went right back to hard starting then dying. I installed new batteries and cleaned all connections, Fuel pressure is right where it should be while cranking and picks up immediately once the machine fires. Lift pump is running and pressure is good.

Anybody have any ideas? Cummins says put an injection pump on it ($4k), customer says try everything else first. lol

I don't know specifics in the engine or machine, but make sure if its got a pump drive and hydraulic pumps behind it, that the pumps are not staying loaded up. Ive run into that once before. Engines just won't flash up if theres an immediate load on.

Just something to consider.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

thats easy enough to test, its got a hyd pump mounted where the powersteering pump would normally be, I'll slide it out and then try it.

Mmmm just a small one then. I was sort of referring to a pump drive on the back of the engine with large pumps. Like an excavator. I had a power unit one time no start because the hydraulic pump in the closed loop failed the swash plate. The immediate load of the hydrostatic drive would not allow the engine to stay running at startup.

But if you have a transmission behind the engine, that's not likely the issue.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

ahhh, gotcha. Its got an Allison auto behind it with one pump mounted to the PTO flange but I'll check it just in case. I did find out you can replace just part of the CAPS injection pump so I'm leaning toward an accumulator. Thanks.

Back