Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > NADM
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
turbomatt1

Name: turbomatt1
Title: Design Limit Investigator
Member`s Gallery
Albany-what makes a good race great?

IMHO, a good race is one that a lot of your friends show up to, & everyone gets along / has a good time in a relaxed environment.
A Really good race is also well organized & includes great weather at a track with a very friendly staff.
A GREAT race, includes all this, AND our own Timbeaux calling the races, some of the fastest diesel trucks in the world, a hot supercar to pick on, a 4 foot tall trophy, AND A BIG FAT $CHECK$ PRESENTED TO THE WINNERS >AT THE EVENT<!!!

Hats off to NADM, David, Deter, & the US19 raceway for making the Redneck nats 08 a GREAT race!
"Single turbo all diesel trailer toter"
2008 NHRDA Div.4 Super Street Champion.
http://www.myspace.com/turbomatt1

Old 03-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
triton

Name: triton
Title: Scarlet Fever
Member`s Gallery
honest racing I think should be a part of what we do also.... maybe I'm wrong ??

I don't know, maybe that's just the way bracket racing is ?? You guys tell me....

I lost to a truck that was running in the 11's all day long. I'm sure many will remember this guys as he had his radio blasting ( while running the track ) and his kid in the truck with him on every run. He looked like he was headed down the road to the mall or something, not racing.

Anyway, the race that I lost to him..... I dialed in a 8.0, he dialed in at 10.40. at the end of the 1/8th he hit the breaks so hard he almost came to a stop. I thought I was about to have him but, he rolled across the finish just in time. This wasn't a race truck but, more a unmodded daily.

It seems to me, this guy was buying his time all day making anyone and everyone think he could only run 11's. Then when it was time for the money runs, he opened it up and worked the clock. He would have been in the low 9's maybe lower had he not hit his breaks.

This is obviously sandbagging and IMO, not real cool. I ran WOT all day trying for my best times and then tried to get as close as I could without breaking out.

Is this just the way the game is played ? or should races be more honest than that ?

Old 03-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
Congrats on the Wins!

For those who don't know, Matt not only won QD, but the also won the first annual NADM Redneck Nats Traction limited, Pedalfest, Diesel v. Gassertrash, Run for the Cure, Race for the fun, Happy fun Deathmatch for the people...... Race.
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Timbeaux

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton View Post

Is this just the way the game is played ? or should races be more honest than that ?
Weeeeellll, I don't have a problem with someone dialing a a few tenths either way, but more than a second is a bit much. That being said, it would be hard as hell not to break out given that your truck was dead nuts all day.
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson

Old 03-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
turbomatt1

Name: turbomatt1
Title: Design Limit Investigator
Member`s Gallery
unfortunatly, thats IS bracket racing.
You only need to bump up a couple of tenths to be a perfect Quick Diesel contender! QD is VERY competitive...12.0/ 7.70 index, break out & you loose!
"Single turbo all diesel trailer toter"
2008 NHRDA Div.4 Super Street Champion.
http://www.myspace.com/turbomatt1

Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
triton

Member`s Gallery
I understand that but, like Tim said.... more than a few tenths and there's a snake in the grass !

To go from 11's all day to slamming the breaks to not break out sure seemed like he was hiding something. I don't suppose he won anyway but... it ended the day for me

Old 03-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
I would much rather run Quick Diesel than Bracket, unfortinatly there isn't a 13.00/8.7 semi Quick Diesel Class?

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 03-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
triton

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen View Post
I would much rather run Quick Diesel than Bracket, unfortinatly there isn't a 13.00/8.7 semi Quick Diesel Class?
agreed !! I think even if I get my truck faster... it's still too big to run QD

Last edited by triton; 03-04-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
haloman

Name: haloman
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I can understand your frustration with Bracket racing, but is a class that anyone can win at. I can afford to go into QD but I could win an event stock in bracket racing.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
triton

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomatt1 View Post
unfortunatly, thats IS bracket racing.
You only need to bump up a couple of tenths to be a perfect Quick Diesel contender! QD is VERY competitive...12.0/ 7.70 index, break out & you loose!
Sorry, I didn't mean it step on your thread. I was mistaken... the guy dialed in higher than I was thinking.

take a look at this time slip. It wasn't one of my better runs but, real close to what I ran all day. Look at the speed this guy finished at and the difference in elapsed time in the finish. He slows wayyyy down.

I'm not all pissed about this just trying to learn and figure out what gets done in a race.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
wideopen

Member`s Gallery
I disagree, I think your truck looks great and it's one of the fastest Mega cabs out there, I say shed a little weight, get some Drive shaft loops and maybe a couple of other things and your in..What's your best time in the Quarter? What do you normally dial in at?

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 03-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
triton

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen View Post
I disagree, I think your truck looks great and it's one of the fastest Mega cabs out there, I say shed a little weight, get some Drive shaft loops and maybe a couple of other things and your in..What's your best time in the Quarter? What do you normally dial in at?
that is my goal. 12.6 was my best run. Just getting rid of the 37's would probably put me in the high 11's but, I'd really like to do it as the truck sits

13 is what I typically dial in.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
wideopen

Member`s Gallery
Man I love the truck but if you dropped tire size and lift...You would kill in the Quick Diesel Heads up class!

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #14
Timbeaux

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean it step on your thread. I was mistaken... the guy dialed in higher than I was thinking.

take a look at this time slip. It wasn't one of my better runs but, real close to what I ran all day. Look at the speed this guy finished at and the difference in elapsed time in the finish. He slows wayyyy down.

I'm not all pissed about this just trying to learn and figure out what gets done in a race.

Click the image to open in full size.
Ty, He dialed an 11.35 an ran a .70....he also treed you by almost half a second. That is why he was on the binders so hard, because he was so far out front.
Quote:

Old 03-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #15
wrongway

Name: wrongway
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Triton, first off that is a very sweet looking truck. Second, just like everyone else say's "that's bracket racing". That's why I don't run bracket's anymore. Shoot, I blowed mine to the moon first thing Saturday morning. Anyway's, don't get aggravated, just keep doing what your doing. Matter of fact, if I was you I would do some driveshaft hoops and run QD. You will still have just as much fun and we're all there for the comraderie. I had just as much fun helping everyone else as I would have racing. It's all about being with your racing friend's. Gary

Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #16
triton

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeaux38 View Post
Ty, He dialed an 11.35 an ran a .70....he also treed you by almost half a second. That is why he was on the binders so hard, because he was so far out front.
I can't see the big picture to this ...yet. Reason for the questions.

As I said... I saw him run 11's all day. If he wouldn't have hit the breaks as hard as he did.... I think he'd have been in the 10's.

are you saying he knew he needed to slow down because he was that far out.... thinking he might break out ?

Old 03-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #17
Timbeaux

Member`s Gallery
Yep... Even if he was dialed much faster, it would have been hard for you to win because of his .03 light to your .52

I doubt he would have run in the 10's, but he was running consistent 11.20's in all the other rounds.
Quote:

Old 03-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #18
triton

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongway View Post
Triton, first off that is a very sweet looking truck. Second, just like everyone else say's "that's bracket racing". That's why I don't run bracket's anymore. Shoot, I blowed mine to the moon first thing Saturday morning. Anyway's, don't get aggravated, just keep doing what your doing. Matter of fact, if I was you I would do some driveshaft hoops and run QD. You will still have just as much fun and we're all there for the comraderie. I had just as much fun helping everyone else as I would have racing. It's all about being with your racing friend's. Gary
Thanks Gary. I'm in learning mode actually. I will never let a race get to me the way I see some of the guys here do ! I love it just for the sport and getting out of the house !

I will be in QD asap. I only run ET because that's where I'm stuck at the moment. I had a goal of beating those two TS ET trucks but, those guys are just too good with too much backing :-)

Now I'm after Bruce Block & Lucky Dog

Old 03-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #19
wideopen

Member`s Gallery
Ty, if it makes a dfference If I have a huge lead on someone when bracket racing I do the same thing that guy did to you. I start thinking maybe I'm running fast than I have, or why breakout when I have such a lead.

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
triton

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeaux38 View Post
Yep... Even if he was dialed much faster, it would have been hard for you to win because of his .03 light to your .52

I doubt he would have run in the 10's, but he was running consistent 11.20's in all the other rounds.
Thanks Tim. I'm gettin' it ... slowly ;-)

I just thought that my poor reaction wasn't enough for him to hit the breaks the way I saw.

Closed Thread