Whos running Mahle Pistons in their 12v?

AsTroSS said:
Cummins Marine 370

172-7211_IMG1.JPG

172-7210_IMG.JPG

Mahle 155

abfe_1.jpg

ac3e_1.jpg

I have no picture of Mahle Marine piston

The two pistons here are not alike. This particular Mahle branded piston is weaker than the stock Cummins 370 unit.

Also, be careful there are several "marine" pistons. They are not all alike.

Yes, Mahle makes a great part for the job and their branded pistons are more than good for the intended use. The one pictured above is a great example. It would run great in some marine engines, but would not in the 370 and higher.

I think a part time engine under 600 HP would be fine with the Mahle piston shown. After that, the margins get to thin for me.

I cringed to see these pistons being used in high HP engines in the earlier days. A very prominent engine failed from these pistons too. No, I am not giving out names, etc.

I said earlier to run the Marine 370 piston for a reason.

All that being said: Mahle can make you a heck of a custom slug and makes some of the best top quality stuff in the world. The particular piston shown is not the one you want for serious HP.

Cummin to think of it, could be Cummins. Pistons were a topic of a lot of discussion when picking out the parts. And it was several months ago now.

While I don't know if those are the EXACT pistons I run, but I was told Erick Stacey runs the same Mahle 155º pistons that I do, at a lower compression obviously.

the mahle marine piston and cummins are the same part. they both have steel ring inserts, coated skirts, 53.0 cc bowl. std dodge are 45.4cc bowls. mahle marines, with total seal rings cast me 64.72each.

What will it drop the CR to by adding Marine 370 pistons with stock gasket and nothing taken off the block? Is the piston height reduced or is the bowl just bigger? And what does it usually cost to get flycuts done on a piston?

BigDodge said:
the mahle marine piston and cummins are the same part. they both have steel ring inserts, coated skirts, 53.0 cc bowl. std dodge are 45.4cc bowls. mahle marines, with total seal rings cast me 64.72each.

Are you sure?, Who's your source for this info, i've heard other wise.

Pistons

Thanks bud! I believe they are the same! ill send you some pics of my build as soon as i get it done. Im degreeing the cam tomorrow and then all thats left is the block stiffener, pan, front cover, head, and some tunning!

I actually do not know. I had a small diesel shop in Massachusetts collaborate with another diesel shop in Effingham on my shortblock. My fuel and air were supplied by a company out in Utah. Now my truck is being reassembled in Connecticut, and will then be sent back to Massachusetts for an overall pre-flight inspection before it gets sent to me in Little Rock. I was hoping to collaborate with you in the early part of '08 on some fine tuning of twins and the finer points of other subjects I hear you are familiar with. You aren't that far away from me in Oklahoma, methinks. Do you ever help people less educated in high horsepower rigs become more savvy?

PRattenbury said:
I actually do not know. I had a small diesel shop in Massachusetts collaborate with another diesel shop in Effingham on my shortblock. My fuel and air were supplied by a company out in Utah. Now my truck is being reassembled in Connecticut, and will then be sent back to Massachusetts for an overall pre-flight inspection before it gets sent to me in Little Rock. I was hoping to collaborate with you in the early part of '08 on some fine tuning of twins and the finer points of other subjects I hear you are familiar with. You aren't that far away from me in Oklahoma, methinks. Do you ever help people less educated in high horsepower rigs become more savvy?

No one around here making power but I do get allot of Calls/E-mail saying.....help me make power. It would be nice to have some sort of sideline business selling parts but they are everywere now and not any business locally.

Jim

Back