Motor oil filtration

bogl

I'm learning about motor oil filtration and wanted to see what other people are using on their pull trucks, but after searching around the site, I can't find much info on oil filtration, and some of the posts are getting older, so I'm not sure how relevant they still are today.

What size (micron) spin on filters are you using?

What else are you using besides the spin on if you are using something else?

What oil are you using?

Change intervals?

Any other advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the info.

Theres tons of info on oil on here. Most guys run some sort of high zinc 20w50 and change it every 3 hooks. Also most guys change their pump oil every 3-6 hooks with a high zinc straight 50w.

As far as filtration, I just run a Wix 57620 on an external mount and its been fine with that. A lot of guys run those system one filters.

Theres tons of info on oil on here. Most guys run some sort of high zinc 20w50 and change it every 3 hooks. Also most guys change their pump oil every 3-6 hooks with a high zinc straight 50w.

As far as filtration, I just run a Wix 57620 on an external mount and its been fine with that. A lot of guys run those system one filters.

Has anyone ever tested the difference between a normal oil such as premium blue and then adding a zink additive against like a brad penn ?

I believe 30 micron is a good filtration number. With as often as it should be changed, you really aren't filtering out dirt, you are filtering out metal.

I'm going to run a system one setup with remote base.. ill try to dig it up but I've read that paper style cartridges done filter very well past a certain rpm which as truck pullers know we are fsr from near stock rpms. Lol

Has anyone ever tested the difference between a normal oil such as premium blue and then adding a zink additive against like a brad penn ?

Yes. I ate a cam on regular 15w40 with zddp additive. I have not eaten a cam with high zinc 20w50. I use Spectro. Trust me, its slipperier. Don't skimp on the oil.

Yes. I ate a cam on regular 15w40 with zddp additive. I have not eaten a cam with high zinc 20w50. I use Spectro. Trust me, its slipperier. Don't skimp on the oil.

That's what's I wanted to know. Thank you for helping me spend more lol

Just ordered Brad Penn 15-40 through Amazon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I spun 4 bearings in 2 runs with 15-40 Brad-Penn brand new build. Re placed crank and 2 rods and assembled the same exact way as before only change was I used 20-50. 3 runs and tore down to check/replace bearings last weekend and it looked perfect. Just my situation. I run 15-40 in my daily driver. But had bad results in my pulling truck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I ran cenpeco straight 40w all last season and after tearing it down this winter it pistons and cyl walls looked great considering it was a truly all stock internals motor. Going to be sticking with the cenpeco 40w on this build also

Bigstacks, what brand was that 15w40. Were they both spectro? From what I've read, not all brands are equal regardless if they meet the viscosity requirement, and a brand can have a good oil in one viscosity and not the other.

I went ahead and ordered a system 1, although the websites selling them besides Haisley are all screwed up with what they fit on, but Haisleys wanted $40 than Jeggs. We'll see if it's the right part after all. Part number 616 in case others are interested.

I'm glad you guys are posting up various oils, I'm thinking there should be a sticky with a tally of oils that worked and oils that did damage. I'm curious to see where that data would lead us to.

I spun 4 bearings in 2 runs with 15-40 Brad-Penn brand new build. Re placed crank and 2 rods and assembled the same exact way as before only change was I used 20-50. 3 runs and tore down to check/replace bearings last weekend and it looked perfect. Just my situation. I run 15-40 in my daily driver. But had bad results in my pulling truck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Has anyone else has this experience ? Does the 20-50 help that much

Not all 15w40 are equal just like not all 20w50 or other XXw50 are not equal. As far as viscosity goes, the 15w40 and the straight 40 are the same viscosity once the truck is at running temperature. The first number is the winter viscosity number and just makes it easier on truck on start up, as lower viscosity oils flow more easily to where they need to go.

Not all 15w40 are equal just like not all 20w50 or other XXw50 are not equal. As far as viscosity goes, the 15w40 and the straight 40 are the same viscosity once the truck is at running temperature. The first number is the winter viscosity number and just makes it easier on truck on start up, as lower viscosity oils flow more easily to where they need to go.

I do know that information^ was more looking from brad penn 15w40 to brad penn 20w50

Bigstacks, what brand was that 15w40. Were they both spectro? From what I've read, not all brands are equal regardless if they meet the viscosity requirement, and a brand can have a good oil in one viscosity and not the other.

It was Mobil Delvac MX 15w40. We have run it in every diesel application that comes in our shop for on road stuff so I don't think its bad oil, its just not as slippery as the other stuff.

And 3 bottles of the ZDDP Plus stuff, I believe that was the brand. It said four quarts per bottle

Schaffers 50w here. Been EXTREMELY impressed with the complete lack of wear. Can put a whole season on the truck and the bearings still look like the day they went in. Shout out to Zstroken for selling me some leftovers when I got started with my truck. As for filter I'm running a System one.

Schaffers 50w here. Been EXTREMELY impressed with the complete lack of wear. Can put a whole season on the truck and the bearings still look like the day they went in. Shout out to Zstroken for selling me some leftovers when I got started with my truck. As for filter I'm running a System one.

HAHA, I forgot all about that.

Back