Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Stalnaker Racing Services
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #121
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
Such as "boat-tail" vs flat base bullets? Sure, at the level you're aiming for there is probably something to be gained with airflow at the back. Not as much as the front, but something. If nothing else, some sort of small spoiler for downforce, perhaps even do a removable front spoiler/splitter for use on asphalt tracks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I really appreciate your intelligence. From what I've gained, yes use the wind to create down force depending on your mass and lift. Most importantly, get it away from the car underbody. Swirl or turbulence will get underneath the very back and cause lift. Notice how all the wings are set up on the pro mods and AA/FC.

Let's look at the bullet from the perspective of the force to move the mass. Look at how the force is applied to the mass v/s say a AA/TF Dragster. Notice the similarities or not??

Old 10-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #122
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
To talk just a bit more on wind resistance and to show my intelligence, my son and I had the opportunity to be around and work on a "Legends" salt flat car. Scott Law (chipmaker)'s father Joe, I believe, is building his next car.

One of the first things I noticed was the shear mass they were adding to this thing. This is a race car right? Well the class Scott is shooting for does not allow any wings or extra wind devices. You have to run as it was offered I guess. To combat the forces of the wind at the extreme speeds these things are going, they are adding LOTS of mass. The firewall is something like an inch thick. Stability is the main reason for wind control which boils down to safety.

Yes, that extra mass has to be accelerated to that speed, however, the salt flats are not an acceleration only test.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #123
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
I really appreciate your intelligence. From what I've gained, yes use the wind to create down force depending on your mass and lift. Most importantly, get it away from the car underbody. Swirl or turbulence will get underneath the very back and cause lift. Notice how all the wings are set up on the pro mods and AA/FC.

Let's look at the bullet from the perspective of the force to move the mass. Look at how the force is applied to the mass v/s say a AA/TF Dragster. Notice the similarities or not??
Hahaha! Intelligence, that's a first! I just read too much, mostly theory with me, hardly ever get to try any of it!

But yeah, the underside is the "roughest" part of the vehicle, so may as well limit the air it has to deal with.

I'll take a shot at the dragster analogy, the force, tires, are linear with the rest of the vehicle, as opposed to a typical truck being on top of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 10-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #124
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
the force, tires, are linear with the rest of the vehicle, as opposed to a typical truck being on top of them.
You, my fine sir, get an A for today.

Spot on!! If you want a quick demonstration of what I am talking about, take a 2' carpenters square and lay it on the table. Set a movable mass at the 2' end and work your finger up the 1' end until you move the mass.

Simple enough. I don't know the specifics, however, crank centerline has way more to do with chassis science than I ever thought.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #125
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
...may as well let Mr. Efficiency have a little credit here as well. At what degree is a u-joint the most efficient?? Answer plays in to last question.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #126
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Shop Truck

You confuse the phuck outta me...
one minute you’re asking for answers, the next you’re telling everyone how it should be done, and then basing your knowledge off the fact this one time you shook this one guys hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Last edited by BRE; 10-16-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #127
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Aerodynamics are the last priority you need to worry about, that's probably at best a tenth in the 1/4, and if any extra weight has to be added over the min its not worth it. I do like your ifs idea, I bet it'd work fine and best with a regular trans case, the heavier Chevys run quick with them. Keep at It! Looking forward to your updates.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:52 AM   #128
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You confuse the phuck outta me...
Glad I'm doing a little something for somebody.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #129
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Well I've been down in the shop trying to waller and wrestle the Chevy IFS differential around until I was happy.

What do you all think about actually trying to pull with this diff?? It looks stout, is a high pinion, and I hate to do it but I can always let the drive shaft clutch slip just a little.

One member posted about spinning the crap out of a set of cut tires. If I do this, at the end of the pull right before they flag me, dead locked, will the IFS diff hold?? I guess I only get one shot so a failure right before the flag wouldn't be that bad.

I guess I could always run a DOT or something on the front.

I need you dyno experts to jump in here and give me some pointers. I have seen and read/listened to a few already. What do I have to do to perform well on the dyno???

Old 10-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #130
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Arch Stalnaker <bodacious5.9@stalnakerservices.com>

AttachmentsAug 29

to Quinton

Ok Fellas,

I ain't much of a writer so I figured I'd just do the short bio thing via e-mail.

I was the last of four born to a dirt poor blue collar family not more than an 1/8th mile up the road from where I laid down my roots right here in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. We may not have had a whole lot of money, but I don't remember wanting for anything. We always farmed and still do today. I am very proud of my Mom and Dad's accomplishments. As a child, I was always the kid the parents hid the good toys from when I came over. Seems everyone in the family encouraged my dream as I was often the one called for repairs. I have three wonderful older sisters. We all knew how to change our own oil, diagnose problems, and usually make our own repairs. Yes, this includes my sisters.

I joined the Army National Guard in High School. At that time they offered 80% of tuition plus the GI bill. My brother in-law, Rex Bound, gave me the courage to enroll in college. After two drop outs at what was then WVTech, I finally finished my four year degree in five years. I also had a wife and kid by the time I graduated. I had big aspirations in high school of becoming a mechanical engineer and living in Detroit while helping Ford Motor Company stay ahead of the competition. The Army changed all that for me. After a couple weeks at Fort Dix, NJ, I knew I would never leave home again. I did however successfully obtain a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering Technology from Fairmont State University.

I am pretty sure my Dad secretly planted the "Hot Rod" seed years ago and has regretted it every since. He and my uncles owned some fine Detroit iron back in the day. I tore myself up in a dirt bike crash back in Jr. High School and was down for six weeks with a knee brace. My dad gave me an old Montgomery Ward riding lawn mower to tinker with while I healed up. He had also taught me how to fabricate (Farm Fab) throughout my life so I went to work on the mower with my bum knee . I swapped the driven and drive pulleys by cutting out the centers with a torch and filing, grinding, and welding until I had wildly changed the ratios. This completely unsafe (especially with a destroyed knee) heap would frigg'n fly!!!! My dad shut me down when my sisters told on me for doing burnouts on the back porch. My first large fab project was installing a small block chevy, 9" ford, cage, etc... into a 1981Chevy Chevette while attending College. My uncle was the first one in the family to buy a mig welder and he let me use it on the Chevette. I spent most of my time on Saturday nights at Eldora Raceway. Eldora was a little 1/8th mile drag strip in Fairmont, WV that closed in 1999. It is now an industrial park. The closing of the drag strip contributed greatly to the success of the mud racing scene that seemed to spawn up shortly after the closing.

I found immediate work right out of college. My wife and I's first tax return filed jointly was just over $5,000. Once working, we managed to continue living like the poor WV Hill folks we are and pretty much continue to live that way today. We just have a few more toys. lol

I could go on and on with stories and memories of growing up. I have always had the ambition to make it racing. I'm not saying I'm going make it but I wouldn't be able live with myself if I didn't give it a try. I was often teased by my older peers about being such a gearhead. They dubbed me "Archie Bernstein". So now we have Stalnaker Racing Services. No one in my family is afraid of hard work so we have always been successful in some form or fashion. I pretty much lived the racing scene in 2002 when we took our 598 cu. in. BBF powered 1985 Ford Ranger and set the NMRO record books on fire. The NMRO changed the rules after that season, lol, so my records remain in black and white forever. We clocked over 8500 miles in my 'ol '90 dodge cummins that race season chasing all those races. A friend helped me assemble the engine in my garage. All in all I had about $26k total in that truck and was outrunning $50k engines.

I had a "Flash of Genius" in college and designed what I thought then was a revolutionary way to valve and internal combustion engine. So with baby diapers to buy, I sent money to a patent attorney and started the patent process. A few months later I was disappointed to find out the "Stalnaker Disk Valve System (SDVS) had been invented in 1928. lol

I believe I have had another so called "Flash of Genius" and I know this one is a go. I have been buying up the latest and greatest in diesel technology the past few years and studying this tech. With what I have learned from these engines and talking with the best in the business, I believe I have an engine design that will prove itself. ...just have to get one going. lol What better place to showcase this engine than at an Ultimate Callout Challenge. Hopefully luck will prevail and we finish securely enough this year to possibly have the engine out in 2019. Crank development starts at $8k so you can see where the holdup is. lol

Find out more about us on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Bodacious5.9/ and my build thread of "Bodacious" on CompetitionDiesel.com: Ram50 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

I also have a youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCde...RzgHyFYMpxzHjw

My wife and I are working on our website. Not much to look at yet but here is a link: Home | Stalnaker Racing Services

I present to you our entry for the UCC2018 Competition. The "Transformer Shop Truck": Shop Truck - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Don't mind the welder talk. Some of those members are pretty tough on there. lol

Here she is dressed up in her preliminary Mud Racing Association's 'Super Stock' rules. This is the third time the truck has been torn apart.

Thanks,

Arch Stalnaker "The Earth Artist" B.S.M.E.

Stalnaker & Son, L.L.C. "We move dirt and make tubes and hoses"

Stalnaker Racing Services (The home of Bodacious)

I have been watching the UCC website and I haven't seen qualifier announcements. This is what I sent in to the UCC folks. I'm doing my best to generate excitement for UCC2018. It's gonna be a dandy.

I'm also doing my best to bring folks over to compD. If I'm not wrong, the larger CompD grows, the more revenue it generates????

Old 11-19-2017, 05:08 AM   #131
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
I'm sorta glad to have a lull in the construction of this truck for I seem to change my mind so much, the hinges are gonna have to be replaced.

I spoke with John at Freedom Racing Engines about supplying a sleeved 6.7 block. While speaking with John, I realized the Red Line Diesel engine I bought will more than likely get the job done in all the facets I want to entertain. So, a new UCC2018 Engine plan is born.

Since I'm about the worst salesman I know, I may as well use the first billet block I bought and forget about the MRA with this engine. This saves the money I would have spent for the 6.7 sleeve work.

I will dis-assemble the PDD solid engine and utilize the crank, rods, cam, etc...

I have the Hamilton head awaiting my camshaft choice before continuing further.

PDD supplied new Manton push rods and 14mm studs that should work with the Hamilton head.

Once I get the cam out of the solid block, I can hopefully find a number on it. I have another billet roller cam here as well I will look at.

So this is what I have so far.

As John with Freedom stated, my biggest issue will be pistons since I want to street drive this engine as well. So CompD, what are your piston recommendations?

This new plan also changes the 'rev it to the moon' theory pushing the original engine plan. Since Karl's engine won't spin the rpm's, I see no need to spin the UCC engine much harder. As most folks have pointed out, these engines were never designed for rpms. So, I may have to speak with John again as my original RPM goals steered him away from a steel top piston.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #132
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
" A set of Mahle’s lightweight, high-speed monotherm pistons was also used in Audi and Peugeot 24 Hours of Le Mans prototype race cars, including last year’s winning Audi R18 TDI. If any diesel engine needed a durable, lightweight piston, it was the 540hp 3.7L V-6 powering the R18, which spent 75 percent of the 24-hour race at wide-open throttle. "

I think I found a piston.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #133
QMFB

Name: QMFB
Title: Fastest Welder in Texas
Member`s Gallery
I was under the impression that Monotherms were heavier than OEM ?

Old 11-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #134
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by QMFB View Post
I was under the impression that Monotherms were heavier than OEM ?

Everything I know, they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 11-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #135
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
You would need to go with a shorter pin/skirt and a longer rod like CP Carrillo.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #136
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
The best info I've found so far is 100 grams heavier than an cast oem. Tighter piston to wall clearance negates less piston walk? which they say in turn increases HP and longevity. Maybe I can drill some lightening holes in them. Lol

I read where John Robinson has gone through six engines with his one set of monotherms. lol I think this must have been before the LSM Block switch.

What is a fella to do??

Quote:
You would need to go with a shorter pin/skirt and a longer rod like CP Carrillo.
Put the weight on the rod instead of the piston? The rods I have are longer. Need to get them pulled to verify C-C.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:16 AM   #137
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
I e-mailed Mahle about a piston. They have nothing in the 4.125 bore for a 12 valve.

If all I wanted to do was race, I can use a forged piston.

I will e-mail CP Carrillo next. If you read Mahle's info, a cast aluminum piston won't cut the mustard much above 800HP.

????, we regularly beat the crap out of our first race engine and all it had for pistons were marine cummins pistons.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #138
06 DIESEL

Name: 06 DIESEL
Title: Dead Eye Firearms LLC
Member`s Gallery
Arch, I didn't see your truck at UCC 2018, at least as much as I could see from the online live feed.

My rig - 2021 Mega 3500 SRW

My Classic - 79 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Closed Thread