Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Diesel Conversions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Powerplant swaps, Repowers, etc.

Old 12-15-2022, 02:25 PM   #1
Flatbedcowboy

Name: Flatbedcowboy
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
IH KB11 DT466 continues..

Wow, I didnt realize its been 7 months since I checked in on this and the mods must have thought I gave up on my old thread.

So I guess I have some updates, not as many as you would think but some.

When I left off I had $1,442 in this project and I had just bought another intercool and AC compressor (neither of which are getting used on this project). I was working some on the steering after I had the engine somewhat in place.

Lets continue:

I got the engine and transmission mounted, the cab mounted front and back. I used the '48s original front brackets and the '84s rear cab mounts. I cut the grille bottom structure out and lengthened it to match the cab height. I then started on the cab structure. Part of the floor was rusted out and I got that repaired. The smaller KBs had the gas tank mounted under the seat, mine came with external tanks; so I filled the hole with 14guage. I dont need alot of support there just enough to hold a sub and amp.
The original floor also wouldn't work with my transmission stick, and I didnt want to do more rust repair, so I used some 1/4" to cover the hole and make a floor.
Click the image to open in full size.

I paid $450 for 2 4x4 sheets of 14guage and 1/4"

I had the doghouse made by a metal fab up the road from me, I ended up having to widen it after the fact, but that cost me $300.

Then I went and made the biggest mistake. The powersteering pump bracket I made, wasnt going to work and the pump was for a high rpm 9.0L, so I went to the junk yard and bought the correct PS pump. Cost $400. I also bought a cross member (ended up not needing) and a used 2 speed actuator since my was bad. Another $400.
After spending $400 on belt driven PS pump, I found that I could have bought a complete core motor that has a gear driven PS pump for $1000. With the belt driven unit I have I will have to cut or fab my inner fender skirts, and the PS pump is ugly. I also didnt need the $150 aluminum cross member, and I have to return the actuator, it doesn't work.

And because I felt like spending money, I bought a new S300 turbo and new injectors from Scheid Diesel, $1700... Injectors are supposed to support 450 horses, my MW pump will probably get me 250-270.

Also had my intercooler reworked to fit over the larger radiator $395. Some additional metal work for the steering, metal cut, and a battery box bent and cut $140.

Then I bought all the gaskets and trim for the cab from Oldinternationaltrucks.com. Cost me around $525.

Also needed a bunch of odds and ends from Summit for the steering, more gaskets, isolators, hydraulic clutch parts, and AC parts. $337.80
Chevy steering column, throttle pedal, intercooler pipes, and AC condenser from Ebay: $412
Steering wheel and 2 gauges from Amazon: $364

AC lines, fuel lines, and fittings from a local supplier: $100

Exhaust stacks $100

I have been using alot of Rustoleum rust converter in the cab, yea I probably should be sanding the whole thing down and priming etc. But Im not...
I have like $200 in spray paint and primer in it already.

Seats $30 from a Tacoma
sitting in the cab loose

So if I am not forgetting anything... Total into the project so far: $7,296
not including all the bolts, and misc stuff I just run to town and grab.

Still way more to do than I think that there is.
Thanks!

Last edited by Flatbedcowboy; 12-15-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:06 PM   #2
bateman

Name: bateman
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Badass. All threads are closed automatically after inactivity. Message rascalmafia and I’m sure he can open the original back up for you if you want.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:25 AM   #3
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
One of the reasons I took a big break was I sold my farm and moved closer to town on a small acreage. The house I bought has a large rv spot and I was finally able to get my truck rolled in. May not be a big deal to some, but I have never had a garage before, or any type of covering I could fit a truck into.

I've gotten the brake master mounted, the hydraulic master clutch mounted, radiator overflow in, powersteering pump back on (I need to relocate the reservoir since it won't fit under the '48s fender) and a few small engine things tied up.

I also bought a new front tire from Walmart, its just a cheap 14ply chinese one, but for the price and how few of miles this truck will probably see, who cares.

Tire $315 mount $35

Total into project so far: $7,646

Last edited by Flatbedcowboy; 01-14-2023 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:30 PM   #4
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Just continuing to work on the small stuff. It took me a couple weekends to get the grille mounted. First I had to build a spacer bar for the front cross member where the grille sits, and I finally got the AC condenser, intercooler, boxed the intercooler, and radiator mounted inside the grille with AC lines attached. That took a couple weekends.

Then I had to modify one of the grille support arms to fit past the hydraulic clutch master.
It really seems like every step there is something that needs modified and each thing takes a weekend and 3 trips to the store to get done.

I installed the gas pedal, fuel cuttoff, and throttle cable. Started the intercooler piping, Im waiting on some specialty boots to finish that, and sanded the inside of the cab a couple passes. Im going to do hitachi grey on the inside.

The only really exciting thing was I got my S300 mounted.

Add another $795 worth of small parts, primer, sandpaper, rubber seals, pedal, cables, intercooler boots, and hardware to the tally.

Total into project so far $8,596
Old 02-15-2023, 11:38 AM   #5
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbedcowboy View Post
Add another $795 worth of small parts, primer, sandpaper, rubber seals, pedal, cables, intercooler boots, and hardware to the tally.

Total into project so far $8,596
Clerical error, $631 worth of small parts etc.
Total into project so far $8,432
Old 04-11-2023, 11:33 AM   #6
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Turns out the bottom radiator outlet wont fit with the front engine mount, cost me $180 to get that turned into a 90degree and pressure test the radiator.

Bought a pyrometer, tach adaptor, autometer 4 in 1 gauge, the last gauge Ill need is the boost gauge. I already have a bunch of holes in the dash these should fit in.

Bought a 5th wheel and the rails, the rails have holes all along the top so I can move the 5th wheel plate farther or closer to the rear, I did this mainly because alot of the older trailers have short distances to the king pin. I already have a 1951 flatbed, and plan on getting a 40s-50s cattle trailer for it. cost $413.17

Scored a toolbox with a 40 gallon fuel tank underneath for $150, its green and has matching patina.

Another $1338.06 worth of small parts, belts, AC parts, wiring, air filter, clamps, gauges, antifreeze, PSfluid, clamps etc.

Total into project so far: $10,359
made a mistake 2 posts ago on my math, but corrected here.

Last edited by Flatbedcowboy; 04-11-2023 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:47 AM   #7
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
At this point I am pretty shocked I have this much cash into this thing. Originally I thought I would be $6-7K into it and have it on the streets, but I am only like halfway. I have spent alot of money on mistakes, I would say at least $1000 if not more. Alot of that stems from my inexperience and having to modify alot of parts. I probably could also source more used parts, but finding the time to go get them is at a premium.

Cost me $1248 to get my transmission park brake rebuilt and inspection.

Bought $167.40 worth of exhaust tubing and clamps. $220 on a custom fan shroud from the local fab shop.

I spent $155.93 on fitting and hoses just to move the PS pump reservoir so it wouldnt hit the fender. and im still not 100% its going to work and not leak.

Total into project so far: $11,930

Last edited by Flatbedcowboy; 04-11-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 02:24 PM   #8
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Conversions are black holes. I've got 50k miles on mine and I still done have everything done. 😁

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 04-11-2023, 06:45 PM   #9
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Conversions are black holes. I've got 50k miles on mine and I still done have everything done. 😁

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk
That ain't no shit. They ain't for the weak hearted
Old 04-15-2023, 09:27 AM   #10
K204DR

Name: K204DR
Title: I'm the Driver
Member`s Gallery
what frame is this on? looks good. got a friend that has a bunch of these trucks.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:51 PM   #11
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy69 View Post
That ain't no shit. They ain't for the weak hearted
You guys are right, its like when do you stop. Every time I pull out my credit card I cry a little bit.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:53 PM   #12
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by K204DR View Post
what frame is this on? looks good. got a friend that has a bunch of these trucks.
Its on a 1984 S1754 chassis. It originally had a 9.0L IH Diesel that was toast.

If he's got any KB12s send him my way!
Old 04-17-2023, 02:59 PM   #13
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Got the park brake handle installed this weekend. I robbed the mechanism off a '59 chevy viking I have.

looks and works good. It has 3 points of brake adjustment to.

Also bought oil, fuel, and water filters cost me $122

Total into project so far: $12,052
Old 04-28-2023, 01:33 PM   #14
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Mainly been prepping the interior for paint the last couple of weeks. Finishing up odds and ends. Started filling fluids and found the oil cooler leaking so I have to wait on the orings before I can start it.
Took my driveline in to get shortened 9". The guy is a month out so who knows when Ill get that back.

Bought motor oil, and odds and ends this week, $182. Bought a boost gauge and a hose from summit $120

Total into project so far: $12,345
Old 05-09-2023, 12:04 PM   #15
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Another $320 in odd and ends.

I think I am finally close to reassembly. I got the cab interior in primer and sanded. I am going to use tractor paint from John Deere, hitachi dark grey. I have found it is easy to use, and your prep doesnt need to be perfect, plus it lays thick. Hopefully that I can paint it this week.

Paint cost me $192.

Also got my driveline back, cost $392 to get it shortened 9", new ujoint and carrier bearing. I need to get 2 more ujoints for the other driveline still.

Once I get the interior painted, I have a couple more expensive buys then hopefully its all reassembly. I need to get glass, sound deadener, and interior kit. The interior kit is just cardboard and only comes in black, tan, or green. I may try to paint it to match, but I don't want it to warp either. Im also hoping I can cut the sound deadener nice enough that I dont have to upholster over it. The only place youll be able to see it is on the firewall inside. Im probably going to use a horse stall mat for the flooring to help with heat.

Total into project so far: $13,249
Old 05-09-2023, 11:19 PM   #16
smoken02

Name: smoken02
Member`s Gallery
This is why I don’t keep track of how much money I have put into projects. I don’t need that killing my excitement . Props to you on a great build. Oh and your garage floor is way to clean.

R.I.P
02 Dodge QC/SB 4x4, Drag Comp,BD RAD, ARP studs, DDP HRVP44, HTT 62/71/14,SDX 200's,Killer B, Goerend trans,Billet input shaft, Billet Flexplate, AirdogII 200gph pump
13.16 @ 104mph 1/4 mile

Aaron

Last edited by smoken02; 05-09-2023 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 03:41 PM   #17
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoken02 View Post
This is why I don’t keep track of how much money I have put into projects. I don’t need that killing my excitement . Props to you on a great build. Oh and your garage floor is way to clean.
HA! True on both points!
Keeping track of the cash has really slowed down getting this thing done, thats for sure.
Old 06-27-2023, 03:49 PM   #18
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Well I spent $176 on sound deadener. I bought stuff from Fatmat, seemed a decent price and was comparable to some of the premium brands.
I got the firewall insulation put on when I had the cab pulled back for painting.

Recently I painted the interior and started to put on the cab seals and gaskets, then did the sound deadening.
I also sent my windshield wiper motors off to be repaired and a new speedometer cable made. Wipers were $312 and the cable was $105

Bought an original style headliner kit from Old international trucks in Lethbridge, Alberta. That sucker was $315.

I also grabbed more AC fittings, the last gauge I needed, cup holders, cab lights, turn lights and some odds and ends $247

Also bought some vinyl and fiber board for the firewall upholstery. $100

Total into project so far $14,504

Old 09-11-2023, 03:29 PM   #19
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
My work has been a zoo so I took a good 2 month break from the truck, but the last couple weeks I have gotten a few things done.

My old buddy gave me a complete vintage air unit that he bought in 1991 and never opened. I did have to make some new lines to use R134. I got that installed and currently working on the wiring.
I also got my homemade vinyl interior in. I just glued the vinyl to some thin board material from HomeDepot. I then used double sided extreme stick tape to stick it to the insulation.
I installed the OEM style interior kit for the headliner and behind the seat. All it is, is thick carboard. The holes did not line up well, and it has no trim. I don't recommend anyone else to buy it, unless they just want a pattern. That thing was $375 and not worth it at all.
Got the seat in again, the transmission filled and shift lever installed, steering column, brake and gas pedals installed, oil and fuel filters changed, and heater hose lines ran.

If I can find a couple brake fittings that I am missing, I could have this thing started and moving soon.

Got my glass cut, I did tinted sides and rear, clear front $445
More AC fittings, spray paint, heater hose, and odds and ends: $150

Total into project so far: $15,099
Old 01-15-2024, 10:37 AM   #20
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Haven't posted an update for a while, but I have been working on the truck a couple hours each day.

I have the wiring 90% complete, a bunch of interior trim installed, all the gauges with back lights, trailer wire harness ran, drivelines in, rebuilt the 2speed motor, exhaust downpipe made and installed, windshield and back glass in, I have been struggling with the door glass and gaskets, and done a lot of little things that go along with reassembly.

I did start the engine a couple weeks ago, had some fueling issues, replaced the fuel pump and was able to run it for an hour or so. It seems to be burning oil and blowing some oil out the exhaust at the higher rpms. I am hoping this is because the engine laid on its side (by accident) for a couple months when I moved houses. I figured it would have all drained back down sitting in the frame for as long as it did but maybe not. Could also be stuck rings letting oil by.
Once I get the door glass sorted and the weather improves I plan on rolling it out of the garage and letting it idle for several hours to see if that improves, Im hoping so because I really dont want to have to put new pistons and sleeves in.

I currently could drive the truck if I wanted, I have everything hooked up enough for a test run, but its currently zero degrees and 6" of snow so it may be a while.

I have bought several odds and ends, mostly wiring and little parts. The most expensive thing I have purchased lately was the rebuild kit for the axle motor, it was $100.

I think over the last few months I have spent around $600.

Total into the truck so far: $15,699