Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
Hoiyay

Name: Hoiyay
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Intermittent stuck injector?

This truck is going to be the death of me....

Problem:

Often i'll end up getting what I'm assuming is a stuck injector. MASSIVE cloud of smoke from the exhaust...starts off briefly white then quickly rolls to black. I'm assuming this is very tale tale of an injector getting stuck.

I ohmed out the injector harness, and I found a couple wires that were having continuity to other ones. I took both wiring harness connectors off, and all the injector nuts. I went from orange nut, to orange connector pin at the harness. All the wires ohmed to themselves were all very good...less than an ohm, most less than half. Problem I found was that the front bank (1,2,3) had continuity to each other. Example: Yellow had 1.2Mohm to orange, and 32ish Mohm to brown. The back bank (4,5,6) didn't have continuity to anything but its own wire.

I assumed this was bad and causing a problem. So I ordered another injector harness...ohmed it before install and ALL of the wires ONLY had continuity to itself and none of the others. I thought surely that was the problem. Installed and went on a test drive...same problem.

Some key notes:
- It seems to ONLY do it when coming to a stop after running above 2 or 3rd gear. If im putting around in a 15-20mph neighborhood...it seems to be fine.

- To clear it, I simply cut the truck off give it 5-10 seconds and crank it back up. Generally there is a brief cloud...2-4seconds and then it clears up. I'm assuming its just clearing out the rest of the fuel. Then it clears up until the next issue.

- I feel like my truck is just generally down on power, but not sure.

History:

I bought this truck last summer, drove it for a month or two, and the engine blew up.

I rebuilt the entire engine myself (I'm a professional boat mechanic, so not a master diesel tech, but not a dumbass). I went with mahle rebuild kit with a few cummins parts here and there (HG, thermostat, etc).

When I got everything back together it wouldn't start and my gauges were going to hell. Took it to dealership. They found that the overdrive solenoid in the transmission (I never dropped the tranny or opened it) had the connector all broken up and brittle and exposed to the tranny fluid. They were able to decide that it had shorted and taken out ALOT on the way.

I had to replace the ECM, and the TIPM both brand new, along with a new OD solenoid. Previously the truck would only crank for about 2 seconds and shut down...was stuck in theft mode. After that, it cranks up and runs.

Also, my gauge cluster is still down. No gauges except for fuel and volt meters work. I dont have a gear indicator light, and most of my lights are on (abs, engine, etc). Also my OBD2 doesn't work (didnt' before replacing ecm/tipm either). Pretty sure I have a bad cluster.

I haven't even been able to break the engine in after rebuild.

I have aftermarket gauges I'm using for now. Good oil psi (60). Rail pressure is 7,500 idle....22ksih WOT, EGT's are 300-350 idle and spike to only about 700-800 on a pull, and my trans/engine temps are good too.

My question: Is it typical for an injector to intermittently stick? I find it very odd that I've had all these electrical problems, and that restarting the truck often clears the injector issue (temporarily). Also with the injectors being brand new and an upgraded fuel filter system.

What are your thoughts? Just looking to get the truck drivable again so I can tow my work trailer around, and fix the other annoying issues down the road.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
Hoiyay

Member`s Gallery
Also, I have two EGT temp probes.

1 is directly on cylinder 6

and the other is right before the turbo. I haven't seen much of a spike in either number, but I dont take my eyes off my rear view mirror and watch for smoke. Shut it down within 2-3 seconds of smoke rolling out. Not sure how long it has to stick open for it to really warm up the EGT.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:36 PM   #3
Blazed3500

Name: Blazed3500
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I had an 03’ I converted Manuel 2 years ago, when I first turned it on with the original ecm the cluster was a Xmas tree truck ran like crap no response from obd2 port, swapped ecm for a Ecm out a Manuel truck same year, resolved all my issues and the gear indicator disappeared, sounds like to me your still having ecm issues, how are your grounds? Should be one from back of head to body, harness to block, harness to ecm plate, block to battery to frame and body on driver side, block to battery and body on passenger side, hope this helps some

Old 06-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #4
Blazed3500

Name: Blazed3500
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Also if you got cheapy injectors even new one could be bad, I’ve had good luck with bbi reman injectors, but I replaced the connecting tubes with new Bosch ones, got a new cp3, blew out the rail and lines, deleted the factory fuel filter got a fass and cleaned out the tank, put 50k miles on the truck before I sold it never had a fuel related issue

Old 06-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Hoiyay

Member`s Gallery
The block and frame, everything, is absolutely grounded. I've even ran 2gauge jumpers grounding everything double.

They were new I jectors and new Bosch injectors....which is what everybody swears is the only acceptable exception other than bbi.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Closed Thread