Axle Options

Bosshawg600

PDP.com FireFighter
So since i have free range on my driveline options......Im testing the waters as what to use.

I dont want to run Rockwells because it will be a 2.6/2.8 truck and most orgs. wont allow that type of combo. So what is another option other than Dana 60's and Dana 80's???? Those suckers are going for a small fortune!!!!

What about 14 bolt axles??? Those are cheap!!!

Im not realy worried about locker options, but axle shafts would be a concern!

Im leaning to a NP205 transfer case, so it needs to be somewhat compatable....

14 bolt
We run them in all the rockcrawlers around here and never have any problems. Axles are plenty stout and you can lock it however you wish.

Edit: You can convert them to disk on the cheap as well.

Im not worried about converting to Disc's.

Thing is, Rock Crawling and sled pulling are 2 different monsters!!!

Just for refference, I can get 13 bolst all day for 200-300 bucks while D80's are 800 at the cheapest!!!

I think its 10.5 for the 14 and 11 i think fornthe 80. heck is only gonna mak 500-600 hp so it not realy needing too much.

What about spline count or axle thickness????

What are you doing though? off-roading or racing? or baha? ...how much power

As for the 14 bolt having better pinion support...... that 3rd bearing has 1 little hic-up and EVERYTHING is done for...like the ford 9" IT has to have that 3rd bearing due to the to main pin bearings being on top of each other like a unit bearing hub....

The best was this kid with his jeeps face....(has 14 bolts) watching me rebuild a blown up 14 bolt.... He says i thought those things never break...
I said there is no such thing as never break, 1 of 2 things keep things from not breaking, the Driver and Steering wheel operator...95% of all people doing anything are steering wheel operators....which are you... lol he's a steering wheel operator

14 bolt is highly supported in the aftermarket, and is worth the money. anyone can break any axle in the right situation

14 bolts have a small pinion diameter (1.5"). I ran them in my trail truck with no breakage but it had a gas power plant and i wasnt trying to pull the bottom out of the ohio river either as sled pulling puts about those kinda stresses on it. I dont think the pinion will stand the tourque that your gonna put on it. Id look for a AAM 11.5. as for the 205, Im debating the same thing. I hear everything from broken ProFab shafts and split cases to "I ran a stock one with 1350 joints 100 hooks" so who knows?

I was going to run the 14 bolt and 205 in mine but everyone said it simply wouldn't hold up to the TORQUE. They last pretty well in the gaser class pulling trucks but their torq. just isn't what you will be subjecting those part too. I'd say the 14 bolt might be able to last a good while if some things are done to give support to certain things. Same goes for the 205. It'll likely last a while but no matter how you slice it, chances are pretty good that sooner than later as your power goes up, they are going to become routinely problematic. So then it'll be a matter of doing this susp. setup thing once, or more than once. That's purely up to you.

You seem to find good deals (case in point being this truck) so I'd just be patient in looking for deals on better rear and transfer case options.

That's just my opinion.

My Perfect senerio would be to buy a 3500 thats been rolled or completly totaled, then just swap out running gear and motor out a put it in the first gen......but I got to find one cheap first!!!!

But would running bigger gears help the 14 live (4.88's or 5.13's??)

What about another front axle? AAM 's are going for atleast a grand a peice, so that out of the question.....

Back