2009 Driveshaft U-Joint Questions

Buck613

Hello,

I recently picked up an 09 with 75k on it and believe I need to replace the driveshaft u-joints; When starting off in 2nd (g56) I sporadically get a "clunk" in the rear end. Yesterday I started hearing a squeaking noise that increases in frequency as I accelerate to above 2k RPM, at which point it is no longer audible. Everything points to the rear driveshaft u-joints, and I will be putting the rear end in the air to verify.

From what I have read, the best replacements are Spicer non-serviceable, does anyone have a part number for the correct replacements? Are there any other brands that I should consider/avoid?

Also, what driveshaft is in this truck? I know AAM, but it appears there are different series. This one is a one-piece and the truck is a shortbed.

There are no retainers holding the u-joints in the yolk, how does the r&r procedure differ from those with retainers?

Am I better off bringing the driveshaft down to service shop and having them replace them?

Thank you in advance.

The factory u-joints are held in with injected plastic. Heat round the u-joint with a torch until the plastic "snakes out" then press the u-joints out like normal

The new ones with have normal retainers.

Back