Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > StarLite Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
StarLite Diesel

Name: StarLite Diesel
Title: EFILive Cummins Tester
Member`s Gallery
Trucks tuned so far with EFILive by Starlite Diesel....

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to report on the trucks that have been tuned so far with EFILive by StarLite Diesel. All of these trucks have been participating in the beta for the newly released EFILive software.

Truck #1:
07 Manual - twin turbo, Industrial Injection back of parts, lift pump, head studs.

This truck dyno'd 549 HP and 11xx Torque on Gillett Diesel's dyno day, and has since had more tuning work done and should have approximately 20 HP gain over when it was last on the dyno. The owner regularly pulls a toy hauler with ease and is VERY happy with his truck over the previous boxed tuner he was running. Also, no foolers needed and no pressure boxes or anything else. All results achieved purely with EFILive. A video of his truck is here: 549 Hp On The Rollers

Truck #2:
07 Manual - stock turbo, 45% Industrial Injection pump, 45% over injectors. This truck pulls in the work stock class. This is the owner of SBS Diesel. The first pull of the season will be June 11th. This truck dyno'd 504 HP and 11xx torque at Gillett Diesel. We were able to successfully get ALL the timing / fuel rattle out of the truck due to fuel upgrades as well as the surging. The truck runs great and he is very happy to have switched from the box tuner he was running. No foolers required anymore on this truck, or pressure boxes, etc.

Truck #3:
07 AUto - Intake only, everything else stock. This truck was tuned to try and achieve towing / mileage. The owner reports hand calculated fuel mileage of 19+ MPG regularly on the highway, with the occasional heavy foot to make sure he doesn't get passed when the urge strikes. The truck doesn't smoke, boosts almost instantly, no rattle and is running our 100 HP tune.

Truck #4:
07 Auto - Intake and exhaust, everything else stock. This truck was tuned for both mileage and towing power and has presented a bit more of a challenge but overall the owner seems very happy. For whatever reason this truck has had a little bit more of a tuning challenge and hasn't responded to the same changes tried on the other trucks - but we've tuned around it and have occasional meetings to make little changes to improve basic things. This truck is running a roughly 70 HP tune.

Truck #5:
06 Auto - Intake, exhaust, lift pump. This truck was the newest Cummins tuned, and basically started bone stock with 326 HP and we gradually built it up to 428 HP on Industrial Injections dyno, after overcoming some hurdles and tricks to get try and get the boost fooler removed. From there, the owner has now changed to a silver 62, upgraded manifold and intake horn i believe, and is now running as much fuel as we can command. We will get the truck back on the dyno soon to test, but from the tuning and logging on this truck so far, i believe we are in the 130-140 HP area of gains. The dyno will tell for sure, as well as additional logging to be sure we are getting all the fuel possible out of the CP3. This truck is smokeless, as are most of the trucks above. A video of the truck and our testing on the dyno can be seen here. This is one of many runs - and this run had a small problem you will hear that were corrected with tuning after the data logging helped find the problem and eventually enabled us to gain 102 HP!

I will have more results from new trucks this coming week, and by mid-June will be working on at least one highly modified (already proven to be over 1000 HP fuel only) truck - with dyno numbers and video to back up our testing and results.

Anyone with questions please ask! I think the owners of these trucks already presented here will be chiming in and possibly adding videos themselves.

Thanks for your support!

EFILive Cummins beta tester and "Brand X" SCI Cummins beta tester! Like us on FaceBook!
StarLiteDiesel.com

Last edited by StarLite Diesel; 06-04-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Giddyup5.9

Name: Giddyup5.9
Title: Cummins Tech
Member`s Gallery
Extremly looking forward to it

Old 06-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
SMOKINU497

Name: SMOKINU497
Title: Hammer down!
Member`s Gallery
I am truck # 5. All I can say is I am MORE than happy with the way Zach show's that he has class to the keeps highest standards with his customers. And supports you with any questions he is always there and always to find ways to fix things the way you want your stuff. I have 110% confidence in Starlite diesel. For the first tune and tuning with my truck the OS is different from others. While we have worked out the bugs the truck runs awesome and pulls hard just like I want the truck to throughout the power-band. When I am at full throttle - I am at full throttle and not at 1/2 throttle and feels full throttle with other tuners. Zack tuning skills and his open ears have been everything I wanted my truck to be now. The 100hp tune that was made was strong and towed awesome with my stock turbo or 62mm turbo. I also achieved great fuel mileage as well. I have no injector rattle anymore as well which is SO annoying as many would agree. The newest tune pulls even harder! The power is smooth and progressive like I want it to be. When I am at full throttle the truck keeps pulling and pulling on top end. I am really interested to run it at the track and on the dyno to see what numbers I would get. The truck is very light with smoke and has a light haze until the turbo spools and I cannot see smoke after the turbo is spooled. I have ran Edge juice, Diablosport Predator, Bully dog, and Smarty... All I can say HANDS down EFI and Starlite diesel's knowledge will blow the other tuners out of the water. The tuners are not bad, I am not bashing on the ones I listed. Just saying that EFI live will achieve the goal that everyone wants and not just a one tuner fits all trucks...
Hit up Zach for all your EFI live needs...

I would not think twice about going to him.

Last edited by SMOKINU497; 06-05-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
SMOKINU497

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddyup5.9 View Post
Extremly looking forward to it
I hope you are because all I ever have is a smile on my face once the converter is locked!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
BFD99

Name: BFD99
Title: The Stig
Member`s Gallery
Do you guys see much more tuning in a stock turbo/cp3/injector truck? I dynoed my 2.4d Bullydog 06 truck last November and it did 489 hp. Just wondering if ya'll were getting close to the power achieved with some of the stronger tunes out there yet. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
StarLite Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD99 View Post
Do you guys see much more tuning in a stock turbo/cp3/injector truck? I dynoed my 2.4d Bullydog 06 truck last November and it did 489 hp. Just wondering if ya'll were getting close to the power achieved with some of the stronger tunes out there yet. Thanks!
It's hard to compare just dyno numbers - though I know everyone cares about it. The biggest problem is going one dyno to the next. My truck, with the exact same setup and tune (mine is a Duramax) has been anywhere from 536 HP to 756 HP. Correction factors, dyno type, load, etc... so many factors play a part in that it's hard to just compare a number.

Now - to try and actually answer your question as best as possible - I have exceeded previous dyno numbers on one of the trucks above, and also made the truck VERY drivable at the same time. That truck drives around daily with a fully usable 549 HP tune, and even tows comfortably with it.

I think dyno numbers are important to really compare the gains - not the actual numbers. For example, truck #5 above dyno'd a 100 HP increase over his completely bone stock tune. I think that increase would be reflected pretty accurately regardless of which dyno he went to with that tune - while the 428 HP the dyno read might NOT be reflected. It's just tough to compare that way, but in a nutshell - yes, i believe we have achieved at or even greater than many of the boxed tuners available, and done it without comprimising drivability which seems to be the #1 complaint....

Thanks for the question!

EFILive Cummins beta tester and "Brand X" SCI Cummins beta tester! Like us on FaceBook!
StarLiteDiesel.com

Last edited by StarLite Diesel; 06-06-2011 at 01:53 AM.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:04 AM   #7
BFD99

Name: BFD99
Title: The Stig
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLite Diesel View Post
It's hard to compare just dyno numbers - though I know everyone cares about it. The biggest problem is going one dyno to the next. My truck, with the exact same setup and tune (mine is a Duramax) has been anywhere from 536 HP to 756 HP. Correction factors, dyno type, load, etc... so many factors play a part in that it's hard to just compare a number.

Now - to try and actually answer your question as best as possible - I have exceeded previous dyno numbers on one of the trucks above, and also made the truck VERY drivable at the same time. That truck drives around daily with a fully usable 549 HP tune, and even tows comfortably with it.

I think dyno numbers are important to really compare the gains - not the actual numbers. For example, truck #5 above dyno'd a 100 HP increase over his completely bone stock tune. I think that increase would be reflected pretty accurately regardless of which dyno he went to with that tune - while the 428 HP the dyno read might NOT be reflected. It's just tough to compare that way, but in a nutshell - yes, i believe we have achieved at or even greater than many of the boxed tuners available, and done it without comprimising drivability which seems to be the #1 complaint....

Thanks for the question!
Cool thanks for the quick response. My reason I asked was because my bd tuned truck runs so good for the mods it has as is. I hate to mess with it running as good as it does for nothing more than a tranny, intake, exhaust, airdog and boost fooler. Being 2wd it is tough to launch but always has a nice trap speed at the track of 104 mph. Best et is 13.64 with a 2.2 60ft.
MAin reason I'm so excited about Efi is drivability. I want better throttle control and more Rpms.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
StarLite Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD99 View Post
MAin reason I'm so excited about Efi is drivability. I want better throttle control and more Rpms.
Bingo! The drivability is one of the BIGGEST improvements EFI is going to give you. You might eeek out a few more horsepower for your particular setup, or maybe not - but being able to drive around with say a 500 HP tune and have it actually drive without clouding out an intersection (unless that is your intention) and tow a trailer, etc. etc - all on the same tune is what EFILive will bring to most trucks. There are the 'BIG' trucks of course, for dynos, sled pulling, etc - however most people seem to have daily drivers that they want to improve mileage and drivability - not just gain HP.

StarLiteDiesel.com

Old 06-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
cumminsmannow

Name: cumminsmannow
Title: lost
Member`s Gallery
I have an 05 pulling truck and need to get my rpms back and alot of fuel. I switched programmers this winter hoping to make the truck run better and it went backwards. I NEED my power back. I don't care about driveability I just need the power. This truck is not a dd nor driven on the street much. I have alot of fuel, and a big single. Is this something that can be taken care of when it is available for my truck? otherwise I am looking for a different programmer asap.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
StarLite Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Yes - this is something that can be taken care of. It will probably take a bit of work to get it 'perfect', however you can adjust just about anything relelvant to spool up, etc. with EFI so you'll be in great shape when its available for yours. Until then - it sounds like you might have to switch back to the old programmer to get by on...

If you have any questions, let us know!

StarLiteDiesel.com

Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #11
YOUNG GUNS15

Name: YOUNG GUNS15
Title: Im AWESOME!!!!
Member`s Gallery
Starlite diesel, any association with moonlight? I was just there this weekend checking out the pullers, didn't go to the pull though.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
StarLite Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNG GUNS15 View Post
Starlite diesel, any association with moonlight? I was just there this weekend checking out the pullers, didn't go to the pull though.
Nope... no association with Moonlight. I did talk to them and watch their trucks go! Sounds like they will be pursuing EFILive on their 06 puller (or thats the impression I got) here pretty soon though!

I was there both nights hanging out and helping my buddy Tom Hansen out in the 2.6 class. I also had a truck that I tuned that came up and pulled work stock Saturday night. Did pretty good IMO ended up in 3rd by less than 2 feet but we learned ALOT about his truck during that pull so I've got data now to try and help his truck do even better at the next pull!

StarLiteDiesel.com

Old 06-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
StarLite Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Hre is a video of Gary Connor, SBS Diesel - at the Logan Sled Pulls June 11. He finished 3rd place overall in work stock... I thought he had it though! We data logged the whole run and see some things we're changing for next time so to help him get started a little better since he's in a manual. I think he's going to win the next pull he attends :-)

StarLiteDiesel.com

Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
1badRam06

Name: 1badRam06
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Looking forward to seeing what you guys are able to do with EFI on that "heavily modified" mega cab.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
1badcummins4321

Name: 1badcummins4321
Title: Diesel Guru
Member`s Gallery
I love my efilive tune it's the best thing iv ever done to my truck it's so much more driveable and I can tow my 33 ft toy hauler on the same tune i race with witch was never possible with my old box tunes. Zach from starlite is a quality tuner and takes his time and is very careful not to overdo anything.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #16
ride42

Name: ride42
Title: 980MW
Member`s Gallery
I'll have to get with you when 6.7L software gets released.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #17
RaM_It

Name: RaM_It
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I would recommend Starlite Diesel to anyone. Zach will work with you until you are completely satisfied, and is always there to answer any questions. I really like the way he tuned my truck, the turbo spools faster, it feels a lot smoother to drive and there is barely a haze under full throttle. It's about a 100 hp tune. Fuel mileage is about 17 mpg mixed highway and city driving. All in all its just more fun to drive.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #18
StarLite Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Well, round 2 of sled pulling for SBS Diesel's truck occurred this past weekend in Spanish Fork. This truck pulls in the work stock class. The earlier video in this thread shows that the Logan pull ended up a 3rd place finish. The data logging from that sled pull resulted in a new tune for this pull, which resulted in a first place finish by over 15 feet on the next closest competitor!

This truck has been participating in the EFILive beta program all year and has now been able to pass up the normal winner in this class. It will be interesting to see how the season progresses and what other little tweaks can be made to improve on this truck. Another cool point, this is the tune he daily drives the truck with.

StarLiteDiesel.com

Old 06-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #19
StarLite Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Other "customer rides".... Yes - i work on Duramax's too!

IMAG0024.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

If you're one of my customers, send me photos of your truck!! I love seeing (and showing off) those trucks i'm working on even if i'm not able to stand next to them and take my own pics!

StarLiteDiesel.com

Old 07-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #20
SMOKINU497

Member`s Gallery
Truck # 5

Just giving a update on a recent trip that I took from Salt Lake to Seattle to pick a car and back. About 1650 miles round trip. Total load up was 2,000 lbs. On the way back truck bed had maple wood stacked above the top of the bed with the car weighing in about 3500 lbs pounds by the car itself. So it wasn't a HUGE load but it was there behind you.

On the way up on the 40 hp tune (with post injection) doing 80mph up and through the hills and blue mountains, I saw an average of 17mpg towing car hauler with a major headwind throughout Boise area to Oregon... Then it went down some mpg because of the headwind and speed I was going. Egt's never got over 1200 up hills at all. This tune and the 62mm turbo really keep the truck running cooler EGT temps. The tune is super predictable and keeps the truck in the "right" rpm when towing up a hill and keeping boost up. There is absolutely NO smoke at all with this tune. On the way back going up the big long hills with the car etc... Egt's never once went over 1350 degress at 60-65 mph the whole way home. I also got an average still of 16mpgish'... I almost thought we got better fuel mileage on the way home as well because of the slower speed. Hand calculated mpgs...

All in all the 40hp Starlite Diesel tune is an AWESOME tune to run. Big improvement again then all the other tuner that I have ran... Low egt's no smoke, great mpg's...

More to come...

Closed Thread