Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
Duramaxfan03

Name: Duramaxfan03
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Suspension blocks and pinion angle

So far this season I have been running 2" blocks in my truck and I want to take them out to lower the back down to stock. My question is, is my blocks are tapered 1/4" from end to end making the rear end point more towards the ground making the pinion angle, if I take them out should a run a wedge to keep that angle or don't worry about it? Idk what kind of pinion angles you guys are running or what not so I'm a little curious.
S&B CAI, MBRP intercooler tubes, PPE manifolds and up-pipes, profab turbo horn, MBRP downpipe, 5" straight exhaust, 10mm cp3, Fass 150 lift pump, 60% over injectors, studs, Custom traction bars, G2 tie rods, kryptonite center link, built trans & T-case

Old 08-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Less angle on ujoints is more good!
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 08-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
Duramaxfan03

Member`s Gallery
So if I would take the block completely off and my rear end would point more towards the trans would be best?
S&B CAI, MBRP intercooler tubes, PPE manifolds and up-pipes, profab turbo horn, MBRP downpipe, 5" straight exhaust, 10mm cp3, Fass 150 lift pump, 60% over injectors, studs, Custom traction bars, G2 tie rods, kryptonite center link, built trans & T-case

Old 08-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #4
1stgensleeper

Name: 1stgensleeper
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaxfan03 View Post
So if I would take the block completely off and my rear end would point more towards the trans would be best?
Yes, but pinion angle rises as power is transferred through the driveline. That's why you want to start with a slightly negative angle and not pointed directly at the trans, ideally when you are putting all the power down it'll then climb up and be at a perfect angle and be more efficient at transferring power.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgensleeper View Post
Yes, but pinion angle rises as power is transferred through the driveline. That's why you want to start with a slightly negative angle and not pointed directly at the trans, ideally when you are putting all the power down it'll then climb up and be at a perfect angle and be more efficient at transferring power.

Of course a good set of traction bars will help eliminate this.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 08-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
Less angle on u-joints is more good!
Just wanted to clear some things up. Less angle isn't 'more good' exactly. These are phased, u-jointed driveshafts, so they basically move forward and backwards over and over (it's kinda amazing the bearings in the u-joints and seals in the t-case last as long as they do!). If you don't match the angle of the t-case, you toss a TON of vibration and harshness into everything. It'll also pulse your output to your axle which isn't good for traction or axle shafts, or tire life for that matter.

Check out this picture:
Click the image to open in full size.

Ideally you want more than 2deg of angle (to keep the bearings/caps spinning and supplying grease), and less than 4deg of angle (to keep wear down in the bearings/caps).
On a double cardan setup, like in the front driveshaft, you want to match the driveshaft angle with that 2-4deg angle in mind (close to the 2deg if you can).

All that said, just measure your t-case angle, and then make some shims to match it on the pinion and you're good to go!

This is cool too:

Last edited by CorneliusRox; 08-16-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Duramaxfan03

Member`s Gallery
Yea I made a set of bars that I have been running this year that are 2" OD and 1/2" wall and 6' long. So those are not allowing a ton of movement

Old 08-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #8
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgensleeper View Post
Not true. Please read my post :-)

Old 08-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #9
Duramaxfan03

Member`s Gallery
On your last post you said to check the angle of the t case and have your pinion angle match, but then you said I should have a 2-4 degree difference. Should the pinion match the t case or no?

Old 08-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #10
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
On your last post you said to check the angle of the t case and have your pinion angle match, but then you said I should have a 2-4 degree difference. Should the pinion match the t case or no?
So your 2-4 degrees can come from lateral change too (left to right). I added the 2-4 deg statement mostly because it sounds like your ladder bars hold it pretty fixed. Typically you'd aim for perfectly in line and the rocking of the pinion angle would be enough to lubricate the bearings in the u-joints.

In theory, you'll get the best performance going down the track and driving if it's completely parallel.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:42 AM   #11
Duramaxfan03

Member`s Gallery
Ok thanks for all the help guys!

Old 08-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #12
IdahoRob

Name: IdahoRob
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I run about 2 degrees down on pinion compared to the angle of the tranny/TC to the drive shaft. Even with ladder bars, the rear will twist up, especially with a diesels torque. You may have to go even more down angle if it is not hooking. Might want to stick a gopro under there and watch the rear axle, then you'll have an idea of what is happening on your setup.

"Max'd Out" SoCal Engine, Randy's Trans, DDP 9.36@154 MPH SS legal trim.

Closed Thread