Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ford Competition and Performance General Ford Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
kylev90

Name: kylev90
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
08 6.4 tunes

Hey guys, I know theres 1000 of these threads, but as I dig I am realizing they are all a few years old. I am picking up my first 6.4 in a few days. Its deleted and tuned with spartan already. Whats the latest for SCT vs spartan vs H&S? Any bad news out of any of them? Im specifically concerned with the transmission lasting. Have also heard of 6.4s melting pistons. With this in mind, am I safe with the spartan? The truck was only tuned last year. Its just a DD. Rarely have a trailer behind it.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 01-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
six_sloww

Name: six_sloww
Member`s Gallery
08 6.4 tunes

My suggestion is drive the truck, see if there's anything about the tuning that YOU don't like (don't form an opinion based on what someone says on the Internet).. If there is then work with Spartan to revise the tuning to your preference.

I wouldn't worry about melting Pistons unless you decide to start buying tunes off of Facebook..

If after a few revisions they can't get it right then start searching for a different tuning platform.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Spartan literally just released their 6.4 revised tuning.

H&S canned tunes are ok, though every truck I see with cracked pistons has H&S canned tunes (but it's by far the most popular tuning, so...)

SCT canned tunes don't exist at this point

Transmission is the least of my concerns with a 6.4. I've never hurt one of mine

Old 01-18-2016, 08:23 AM   #4
matty169

Name: matty169
Member`s Gallery
Actually. ....SCT tunes DO exist if you can get them out of canada. Cheap too.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
Scooter's Roofing

Member`s Gallery
Eh, with the existence of MCC, I can't imagine ever running canned tunes

Old 01-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
cumminstroked

Name: cumminstroked
Member`s Gallery
I'm happy both my H&S. It made 590 hp and 1210 tq at the wheels. It's just deleted too. When it comes to towing I couldn't ask for a better setup. Even with 18k behind it it will just cruise along. I don't turn it up to often. Just enough to improve economy and towing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F350 lariat 4x4 2008 6.4l

F250SD 4x4 5.9L 12V 6speed with a few aftermarket parts.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #7
kylev90

Member`s Gallery
cool thanks for the info guys. This spartan seems fine so far. Shifts really well, no smoke and mpg is high 17 ( hand calculated).

Old 04-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #8
kylev90

Member`s Gallery
Bump for more opinions. I have had 3 well known builders in my area tell me the spartan is junk and will destroy my tranny. Any proof behind this? The truck doesnt like 3rd gear and gets a little confused on an incline, but i have read these trucks are notorious for that no matter whose tunes....help....

Old 05-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #9
CRANEMAN

Name: CRANEMAN
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylev90 View Post
Bump for more opinions. I have had 3 well known builders in my area tell me the spartan is junk and will destroy my tranny. Any proof behind this? The truck doesnt like 3rd gear and gets a little confused on an incline, but i have read these trucks are notorious for that no matter whose tunes....help....

Get. Yourself some tunes from Matt Robinson at Gearheadautomotiveperformance.com. He is one of the best Stoker tuners our there. He can tune SCT or MCC on the H&S.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #10
Scooter's Roofing

Member`s Gallery
Matt's tunes are awesome. I've never cared for Spartan's overly-proprietary tuning...

They're doing some major revision/overhaul of all of their tuning and their hardware, but it still doesn't afford the versatility of H&S MCC

Closed Thread