Cp3 leaking fuel?

95cummins5.9

Old man ***** gossiper
My Turkey day travels yielded lower than average fuel mileage, stopped for breakfast this morning and noticed a silver dollar sized spot of fuel under the truck. Looks like it is leaking from between the gear housing and pump or between the two pump halves? Truck has 110k on it. What is my next step, new pump, or is there a boring that goes out? Help is appreciated.

Appears the truck is possibly making oil also..is it possible for the cp3 to leak fuel into the crankcase?

No white smoke, it's been in the 20s as far as temperature here also. I also don't think its making oil after closer examination. Appears to just be a external fuel leak from the cp3.

Exergy sportsman pump? T&C for a rebuild?
S&S pump.
What's the chances that its messed up the injectors?
The truck seems to have developed a very slight rough idle, fuel mileage seems to have fallen off( could it possibly be winter fuel and cold temperatures?).
A little help please.

Are you still on the same tank of fuel from when the leak started? Where exactly is it leaking? Is your rail pressure down across the board?

Are you still on the same tank of fuel from when the leak started? Where exactly is it leaking? Is your rail pressure down across the board?

Kind of, but I never usually let it get to far below half a tank before re fueling. It's leaking between the aluminum and cast case halves by the large torx plug next to the Allen headed plug. Was going to hook a scanner to it today and see what commanded vs actual rail pressure is.

Injector cleaner won't save anything. If it's a leak between the case halves T&C would probably be able to fix it, and upgrade to something similar to a sportsman pump. If the pump is internally damaged then the injectors probably need gone through also, at that point an all new pump would be best IMO. But like was mentioned, check the fuel fittings around the pump. And yes, if the front seal was bad that would fill the crankcase with fuel eventually

I just went ahead and ordered a sportsman pump through my local exergy dealer along with a upgraded in tank pump. Hoping nothing got to the injectors, time will tell I guess.
Anything else I can check while I'm messing with it?

Do the connector tubes sound like something I should go ahead and replace? I'm all ears.

If you are making oil, my guess is the front seal went out of the CP3.

During the mega-long stretch, my return line was plugged and it blew the seal out of the pump. Got an II reman for $570. Put about 9 gallons of diesel in the crank real.damn.fast.

Just a possibility.

At least have your injectors tested at this point. It's not expensive and money well spent for piece of mind. Connector tubes should never be reused according to the manual. Folks reuse them all the time, including myself. Inspect the cone end carefully, take care when installing them to the injector body, and torque (with a torque wrench) to the correct spec. I applied a light coat of engine oil to the tube tip before installation to prevent galling.

I had the injectors from my 05 out recently and decided to have them tested. Truck ran fine to me, made good power, and 4 of the 6 failed the test at DPI here in Houston. They rebuild all 6.

At least have your injectors tested at this point. It's not expensive and money well spent for piece of mind. Connector tubes should never be reused according to the manual. Folks reuse them all the time, including myself. Inspect the cone end carefully, take care when installing them to the injector body, and torque (with a torque wrench) to the correct spec. I applied a light coat of engine oil to the tube tip before installation to prevent galling.

I had the injectors from my 05 out recently and decided to have them tested. Truck ran fine to me, made good power, and 4 of the 6 failed the test at DPI here in Houston. They rebuild all 6.

Around how much did that cost? Thanks.

Back