2004 Freightliner question

blkout

Does anyone have any experience with a fld112? Was told it has a mercedes rated at 425 hp and an automatic transmission. I know nothing about this combination. Does the auto suck up alot of power? The truck has 900k plus and the dealer claims to know no history on the truck. Personaly i dislike autos for towing. Any help would be appreciated.

Unless it's dirt cheap I would tell you to run away, I have heard nothing but bad about the Mercedes motors.

The mercedes is ok until you have to replace turbo. Not a cheap piece.and as for the automatic, they are very clumsy when it come to backing up close to stuff and being around farm machinery and grain augers. Very jerky.but they are pretty sweet on the open road.

Sounds like an MBE4000 for sure. I worked for the dealer for those during their heyday with detroit. In my professional opinion, they suck. For more reasons than just the turbo.

Eaton autoshift or Allison automatic. Tranny is one of those two no doubt as mentioned. Either will do the job just fine if they're in good shape.

I think its an Allison though. It would be a 3000 series in that size and year of truck. Lock up clutch in the converter doesn't waste any more fuel or power than would be expected. Truely and strongly recommend useing genuine Allison Transynd oil in it. Yes it is more expensive than regular ATF. but YES it is that much better for the longevity of those transmissions. Plus transynd allows extended drain intervals too.

Back