AFC Live review

zfaylor

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I am really unsure of where to put this. It applies to 89-02 mechanical trucks so this is a fairly universal area. I won a stage 1 afc live from Power Driven diesel. I received it last monday and installed it instantly. Went out with my go pro and gave it my best shot at messing with this contraption.

Truck it is going on:

95 single cab short bed
47rh with a mild home build on it. DPC triple disc, billet input, full manual transgo kit, and some other odds and ends.
180 pump
4ks
7x11 injectors from power driven diesel
s464
studs
stock 375k mile engine that came in the truck

First and foremost: quality product! The box itself feels like it could live through a nuclear attack. Very sturdy and compact packaging.

A word to the wise: be aware the response knob is very touchy. It can make your truck a turd in a hurry :hehe:

Here is how it looks out of the plastic shipping container. The flat rate box must have been wishful thinking for packaging LOL

DC90FCA1-F94F-4B6B-8778-5CAEF8B47C92_zps0dsd8gop.jpg

Here it is in all of its glory unboxed

3275C2A6-1415-4E7E-87B9-709F33890C5D_zpsczgqkdvu.jpg

All I had to remove was my intake horn

23F84442-6F68-4E36-B7CB-82E672A663CD_zpsovopxnbx.jpg

And my afc housing

B37437AE-1457-44FB-9259-9ADE3E02F6AD_zpspidfvl9i.jpg

Remove your fuel plate from the pump as well.

Then you need to disassemble the afc housing to modify it per the instructions. There is no need to remove the afc foot.

CC7BB10C-60B5-406E-B426-193C8ABD41EF_zpsh1zxhypd.jpg

reverse the position of the two washers on each side of the afc diaphragm.

Adjust the "smoke screw" as most call it. It controls pre boost fueling. The directions state 1/4 turn past contact for heavily modified trucks and 2 turns IIRC for stock trucks. I went 1/2 turn. My truck isn't highly modified but the turd of a turbo I have doesn't need a ton of pre boost fuel making a mess of the road.

This is where mine ended up:

2C107594-B246-4496-835C-80B85D79F7AA_zpsjzetzgf3.jpg

remove the plug on top of the starwheel and adjust it so the starwheel lines up with the edge of the hole per the instructions. the plug can be a pain to get out the first time. I used my porter cable 20v impact with a 8mm allen on it and they come out every time.

6512B220-9A79-47D5-A319-13EC16A4C4FD_zpskkpw6sqi.jpg

Remove the stock afc reference fitting. My boost gauge was plumbed into the hole where the stock turbo got wastegate reference. I had to move that to another spot on the head as my boost gauge would be off. It would read the boost the afc live tells the afc.

533F2685-6BB4-4F08-8BB1-97F0A63C3876_zpstfcp7pp3.jpg

I reassembled the afc with the provided 1/8npt to 1/4 tubing fitting into the afc and moved to mounting the afc live box. i decided to place mine on the panel in front of my shifter. It is out of the way and in a convenient location still. I am sure there will be 100 different places people choose to place their box. This just happened to be my place.

2A2BDE28-C4CA-418A-9F43-E485255424AE_zpsd3esghxq.jpg

Route your tubing through the fire wall and install the other provided 1/8 npt to 1/4 tube fitting in the head where the old afc reference line was form the factory.

Route your tubing and cut it to length. Push the tubing into the fittings. Make sure to put the tube marked with the black tape on the head and the other on the afc per the instructions. Zip tie the tubing out of the way and re install the intake horn. You end up with a clean install that doesn't clutter the engine bay. My engine bay is cluttered with plenty of other wiring and tubing already so do not mind that LOL

5C183445-DFFE-429B-A4C8-4A79AFFEBFFF_zpsdrouhjyh.jpg

Now on to the fun part: driving!

I mounted the go pro on the back glass so you can get a visual of the smoke out of the stack.

Video of me driving the truck with ZERO tuning and what I would consider normal driving and acceleration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLPriyokZaY

Here is a video of me trying to mess with the max fuel knob while under boost to see what it does. I make a few pulls towards the end of the video and you can see the smoke gradually clearing up under boost. This is the technique I used to get a baseline for where to set that. I adjusted the knob out until The smoke was a heavy haze under boost. I adjusted it more later after I watched playback on my go pro and saw what the truck was doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ1DGczH2Fk

Then i learned real quick that the response knob is sensitive and adjusting it more than a turn on my truck made it a complete turd. I ended up at 1/4 turn in for my best results. Most of my tuning was done on the max fueling knob. I am sure this differs from truck to truck and experiences will vary.

This video shows how my post boost smoke is reduced after some quick tuning. It can use pre boost fueling adjustments and some more tuning on the box but my transmission was getting warm from the numerous pulls I was making in the heat. It turned my full throttle pulls from a stream of smoke to a light haze. Which to be honest is about as good as it gets with a 12v running an s464. This turbo is a complete turd on my truck for the lack of air it supplies in comparison to every other s400 frame turbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz-a8ABc3Rc

This is just an in cab video driving home from my desolate tuning location. Not quite full throttle. It still has full power and didn't loose anything tuning the smoke out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwtzo37SoLQ&feature=youtu.be

I need to improve my tuning still with some pre boost adjustments and I may toy with using a stock gov spring in place of the original. For now I am very pleased with the results and would recommend the box to anybody with a mechanical truck. I would highly suggest getting a go pro. Whether that means borrowing or buying one to do the tuning. It made it much easier to sit and watch the videos after each pull in the truck and see where I needed to do tuning.

Last edited:
Awesome write up!!! And BTW clean that windshield yours is almost as bad as mine!LOL. Cleaning it now that I said that...

Nice write-up on an innovative product, almost want to ppump the 24v just to see how stealth I could roll around out west. The pink shoes in the third video caught me by surprise:lolly:

Awesome write up!!! And BTW clean that windshield yours is almost as bad as mine!LOL. Cleaning it now that I said that...

Thank you sir. LOL I knew somebody would bring that up. I am terrible about cleaning my windshields. Bugs the hell out of my passengers.

Nice write-up on an innovative product, almost want to ppump the 24v just to see how stealth I could roll around out west. The pink shoes in the third video caught me by surprise:lolly:

Thanks man. Yeah my girlfriend and her pink chucks. She felt the need to go ride along.

Awesome! thanks for the review. I am glad you are able to make it work on that truck with an s400 single. The vids were great. On your first vid where you said you had zero tuning what were you referring to? no tuning on the AFC LIVE or no changes to your timing and stuff?

Awesome! thanks for the review. I am glad you are able to make it work on that truck with an s400 single. The vids were great. On your first vid where you said you had zero tuning what were you referring to? no tuning on the AFC LIVE or no changes to your timing and stuff?

No tuning whatsoever. I shouldn't have added that video really. I had aspirations of getting another video after tuning it to show no smoke with normal driving but realized it was all pre boost fueling under normal conditions so it didn't truly capture what the afc live was doing and where it shines.

Pre boost fuel being heavy is more or less a necessary evil on a light 12v with an s400 single.

I will add that last night I was playing with the sensitivity knob and it may be useful at the track to turn that down in a bracket situation. It delays the fueling a tad and it let me get going without spinning the tires before the fueling came on hard and let the power kick in.

No tuning whatsoever. I shouldn't have added that video really. I had aspirations of getting another video after tuning it to show no smoke with normal driving but realized it was all pre boost fueling under normal conditions so it didn't truly capture what the afc live was doing and where it shines.

Pre boost fuel being heavy is more or less a necessary evil on a light 12v with an s400 single.

I will add that last night I was playing with the sensitivity knob and it may be useful at the track to turn that down in a bracket situation. It delays the fueling a tad and it let me get going without spinning the tires before the fueling came on hard and let the power kick in.

Very cool. We just sent out a stage 2 with the option to change tunes in the pits off boost. It is for an 11.90 racer who I think is on here quite a bit. Anyways the bracket box has a shrader valve so you can pressurize the system in the pits and make adjustments as needed.

Being able to tune your launches should yield some very consistent times.

So now you've had on for a little bit --- time for an update :rules:

Control of smoke ?
Control of fueling curve ?

Worth it ?

So now you've had on for a little bit --- time for an update :rules:

Control of smoke ?
Control of fueling curve ?

Worth it ?

Worth it? Yes. It is a huge pain in the azz to tune an afc without it. I hate messing with steel screws in aluminum too much anyways.

Control of smoke? Watch the videos above. If that is too much smoke out of a light 12v with an s400 single then I don't know what to tell you.

Control of fueling curve? I assume you mean rate. The sensitivity knob as mentioned more or less changes it in conjunction with the max fuel knob. It is very sensitive but effective in changing the curve.

Hard to tell from videos as the cleanup in smoke could simply be from being on top of the chargers .... basically in the map of the s464

Do you find that if you adjust it ..... and it goes worse ..... getting g back to original setting is a pain ?

Your smoke looked pretty normal in lower rpm before turbo was lit ..... how much did it help there once you dialed it in

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hard to tell from videos as the cleanup in smoke could simply be from being on top of the chargers .... basically in the map of the s464

Do you find that if you adjust it ..... and it goes worse ..... getting g back to original setting is a pain ?

Your smoke looked pretty normal in lower rpm before turbo was lit ..... how much did it help there once you dialed it in

That is kind of the idea of tuning a truck. You are trying to match the fuel to the map of the turbo. I count quarter turns on the knobs when I adjust settings. The afc live isn't going to do much of anything for your pre boost smoke. That part is up to you. That being said a mechanical truck with an s400 turbo will be hard pressed to be smoke free pre boost from a stand still. It still requires a certain amount of fuel to drive the turbine hard enough to start building boost. Can you make it 100% smoke free? Definitely. Spool up would suffer some. This is a toy truck for the track and occasional trip to the grocery store. I control pre boost fuel off of the line at the stop light with my foot. It is nice to know I can pass somebody on the highway without blacking out the road under boost though.

I have the AFC live stage 2, and love it, you max out your AFC and you can drive with no smoke and power, by far the best bang for the buck out there!
Rick

Are you using the stock afc spring? A heavier spring would make the response knob not so touchy. Thanks for the write up

I have the AFC live stage 2, and love it, you max out your AFC and you can drive with no smoke and power, by far the best bang for the buck out there!
Rick

Pics of it mounted. Want to get the stage 2 ..... but the size ....... and the guage ..... already have 6 in my cab dont need another ....lol.... stage 1 looks cleaner .... but think I'll miss full fuel no "fooling" at times

Back