Need some input....

00 black ram

Cummin's Enthusiast
I read Roachie's, sorry if I mispelled it, thread and it helped me out some. Real good thread. I bought me a conversion kit with pump. I won't be startin the conversion soon cause I would like to replace the cam and tappets when I do it. I would like to know what I can get out of a 160 pump as far as power amd what needs to done to it to get it there. Just want it to be streetable. I have an Airdog 150 and will have either DDP 200's or 250's, and S362/S475 twins. Is 650hp to 700hp to much for the pump? I am not real knowledgable on the P7100 Pump. So thanks in advance for taking time to help me some.

Thanks Matt

A 160 will make a good street pump. The limit for those pumps is typically high RPM (i.e., pulling) due to the differences in cam design. It has flat-top p&b's which are arguably better.

Cool, I was hoping the twins would move enough air to get close to my goal.

I not going to really pull the truck because of the twins, so that good that it would be a good street pump. I dont know a whole lot on the p-pumps, new to the p-pump realm. LOL

Cool, I was hoping the twins would move enough air to get close to my goal.

I not going to really pull the truck because of the twins, so that good that it would be a good street pump. I dont know a whole lot on the p-pumps, new to the p-pump realm. LOL

Also, (again since its a street truck) I'd start with the smaller set of injectors and see how they do first. From what I have read, the big injectors are really not needed with the conversion unless you are pulling and/or trying to light a big single. $.02

So you think the 200's will good for a street setup. I will be able to pick between the two when the conversion happens.

a 160 is a good pump yes, but i'd look for a 180, or a 190 (bus) pump, they both have the flat top plungers and are both 12mm pumps, the 180's have the quick rate cam's too, i would suggest a 215 pump, but if you dont want timing retard at full rack travel, you dont want a 215. thats just my opinion on it

a 160 is a good pump yes, but i'd look for a 180, or a 190 (bus) pump, they both have the flat top plungers and are both 12mm pumps, the 180's have the quick rate cam's too, i would suggest a 215 pump, but if you dont want timing retard at full rack travel, you dont want a 215. thats just my opinion on it

I don't think the cam in the 190 is common with any of the "Dodge" pumps and is not favorable.

I don't think the cam in the 190 is common with any of the "Dodge" pumps and is not favorable.

really? first time i've heard that, the last truck i put a 190 pump in ran awesome. but it wasn't a "high performance" truck by any means. A lot of guys (myself included) prefer the 180 pumps over the 160's because of the flat top plungers and the quick rate cam that flow more fuel than a 160 at high RPM, i cant say too much about the 180's because i've never ran one, but they seem to have the best of both worlds. i run a 210hp P7100 in my 98 and it has the flat top plungers and the Q/R cam as well, but i dont know what motors they come on

really? first time i've heard that, the last truck i put a 190 pump in ran awesome. but it wasn't a "high performance" truck by any means. A lot of guys (myself included) prefer the 180 pumps over the 160's because of the flat top plungers and the quick rate cam that flow more fuel than a 160 at high RPM, i cant say too much about the 180's because i've never ran one, but they seem to have the best of both worlds. i run a 210hp P7100 in my 98 and it has the flat top plungers and the Q/R cam as well, but i dont know what motors they come on

Completely agree.

Like I said...I don't think the 190 shares the "quick-rate" cam that is in the 180 and 215. But in the OP's application, I don't think any particular pump will really make much difference since it is a street truck.

A lot of guys (myself included) prefer the 180 pumps over the 160's because of the flat top plungers and the quick rate cam that flow more fuel than a 160 at high RPM, i cant say too much about the 180's because i've never ran one, but they seem to have the best of both worlds.

But remember, the OP is just looking for good streetability. If he was wanting to sled pull then by all means, the 180 would be a better choice because of the cam profile. Seems unjustified to look for and pay for a 180 when a 160 will fit the bill for one fun pavement pounder.

Well the 160 pump is coming in the kit. I am probably be running a 4K GSK, 191's, and DDP 200's.

CL2000: Why did you not like the DDP's in your setup?

But remember, the OP is just looking for good streetability. If he was wanting to sled pull then by all means, the 180 would be a better choice because of the cam profile. Seems unjustified to look for and pay for a 180 when a 160 will fit the bill for one fun pavement pounder.

that it will, BUT if he ever decides to go all out, that 160 pump is going to be a disadvantage, one member in particular comes to mind that is having issues with his pump at above 3400 or so if i remember right. but the 160 will be 100000% better than a VP

Just an opinion from the other side. I love my DDP's in my set-up, and its set-up for pulling not street driving. It did make 718hp on a huge single that doesnt like to spool, but would love to see what it would do with a set of twins that spooled better.

Hey, getblown5.9 you were running DDP 250's weren't you. Did you just send them off to a shop and have the pop pressure changed? Who did you have do it?

Back