Rule Changes for 2014?

Has anyone from PPL even posted on this thread? Do they even know there is a section on comp d for them?

I e-mailed John Mears, head PPL Tech and here's what he said:

Some of the updates for 2014 -

I was hoping to have posted on the website, but no luck from last week.

2.6 Diesel Trucks

MWE groove must be inside neck area where intake cover is measured @2.6”

Maximum of one P-pump, with only one plunger per cylinder.

Front brakes only.

Dual rear wheels only permitted.

We used removed some wording from the rear suspension, concerning (must use one working shock absorber per wheel.)

Ink still in the book (No air bags and blocked suspension is permitted)

Everything makes sense but I'm confused about the MWE because it sounds like most everyone would need a new cover so I asked John for clarification and rationale. His response:

"No, it keeps people from stretching the mew (sic) groove out from the face of the wheel…..feeding the larger portion of the turbo…."

I feel like I'm missing something.....

I don't find the turbo rule very clear either?

I am curious if the rear leaf springs will be required like was discussed earlier in this thread?

I read the turbo as the harts and Columbus hx60 covers would be illegal where they drop a thin bushing down and you can still see the 83mm part of the wheel behind the bushing

So if they curve down to only feed the 66mm it would be ok? I just feel like I have to buy another cover again.

So if they curve down to only feed the 66mm it would be ok? I just feel like I have to buy another cover again.

The way I read it, sounds like the MWE will have to be inside the 2.6 bore? What about 3.0? We are having a Turbo rebuilt now I hope it's not changing now:doh:

Current harts and columbus covers should be legal. It was brought up at the meeting. Basically the mwe groove needs to be back at the wheel, not 12" in front of the wheel.

Meers says its to stop from feeding the large part of the wheel but that's exactly what the Harts and Columbus covers do. They allow the full face of the larger then 66mm wheel to get air around the 2.6 bore

I don't have the slightest why they even call those charger's 2.6 with the cheater groove. Paper thin 2.6 passable ring with a fat ass "MWE" groove that does nothing but induction.

Rule to me looks like they want the MWE groove back where it belongs.

I understood you can feed the face of a six inch compresser as long as the map groove is no further forward then the face of the 2.6 wheel. still waiting for rules in print.

Sounds like someone needs to get some official cad drawings to describe whats legal. Because how thats worded makes those current turbos illegal as the mwe doesn't feed the 2.6bore area. Sounds like getting rid of the mwe is the cheapest and simplest solution in the long run. Making these small changes yearly just make cost of turbos go up and up.

Pretty sure this is what they are trying to get rid of.

Smooth_zps9b70cfe6.jpg

Current harts and columbus covers should be legal. It was brought up at the meeting. Basically the mwe groove needs to be back at the wheel, not 12" in front of the wheel.
Josh can you explain the map groove being in front of the wheel? I'm not exactly Turbo smart on some of these "custom" covers. Only style I've put my hands on is a harts, and by me reading that line I feel it's not legal. Just would like to know what you mean by the mwe groove being 12" in front of the wheel. Just wondering thanks

Back