Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
bowmans_army

Name: bowmans_army
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
need help not your normal injector pump problems! losing prime after rebuild

so i am at my wits end here! i am a new member long time lurker, altho not new to diesels. First the problem, I just rebuilt the motor for my project stock 1994 cummins 160 pump auto trans had 240 thous on it. Now it runs great idles revs sounds good but the problem is this, if you rev the motor up and let go of the throttle it dies and loses all pressure from the pump to the injectors once re bled will start and run great again no problem does it every time even warm. pump was not rebuilt just the motor was. ran fine before and after except now it dies every time you rev it up and let the throttle go. Even after you rev it up and it starts dying ( motor winding down without fuel) and i pump the throttle as its dying it still dies all the way. If you rev it up and slowly let it idle back down its fine just the quick let go of throttle does it. Fuel pump mods were only afc mods and 0 fuel plate oil feed line on outside of pump fuel rack mod.
truck has the following:
1. new mech lift pump
2. all lines are new
3. lines are in a fuel can strait to lift pump
4. shut off solenoid properly working
5. stock fuel filter arrangement all new lines
6. new overflow valve
7. lift pump holding 40psi at and after problem measured at p pump
8. cracked line at pump to verify gauge and 40 psi worth of fuel sprayed everywhere literately

the only thing i have not done is take the afc housing and the fuel plate off and try it without them but i don't see how ether could be effecting the fuel flow from the plungers to the injectors. anything on this would be so very helpful as i have done everything i can think of and still have the problem. i am going to try and take a video tomorrow after work but its not much to look at push throttle to the floor let go and it dies and wont start without re then runs fine bleed

Last edited by bowmans_army; 11-13-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
kawi600

Name: kawi600
Title: got Coal for Christmas
Member`s Gallery
If you suspect air leaks you can put a boiler sight glass in front of the injection pump so you can see any air bubbles. Might be that you have something jammed up in the fuel pickup thats causing it to fill very slowly (?).
You can also re-plumb it into a 5gal fuel can full of clean fuel as a test.
Also the fuel heater is famous for melting and causing air leaks. I bypassed mine years ago.
Psalm 37:10,11
Isaiah 65:20

Last edited by kawi600; 11-15-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
bowmans_army

Member`s Gallery
this afternoon im going to mess with it again there is no fuel heater deleted it and it is strait from a 5gal can to the pump right now all new hose all new everything fuel system related except the p pump. im hoping its not just the pump dyeing slowly but it makes no sense what its doing. i will report more later after i mess with it today hopefully

Old 11-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #4
bowmans_army

Member`s Gallery
so finally figured it out it was the rack bushing or guide behind the rack plug. i found this out by revving the motor without the afc housing on it and letting go the rack came back and stuck in the fuel off position just like it had been turned off then it would be stuck there until i worked the throttle for awhile. I pulled the guide out tried revving it up and it didn't die cleaned it up with some emery cloth and it works now looks like it had some pitting on it that was making the rack get stuck and i was de-fueling very odd problem. and my pump cover is cut to let me take the rack plug out from the pre owner for some reason. even tho i had to figure it out alone hopefully this will help someone in the future.
after researching for a long time i guess racks getting stuck are a problem here and there but not that common of a thing.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
kawi600

Name: kawi600
Title: got Coal for Christmas
Member`s Gallery
well least you found it, and didnt have to spend $$$ on a pump build to figure it out
Psalm 37:10,11
Isaiah 65:20

Closed Thread