Manual transmission rebuilds. Nv4500, nv5600, g56

99GreenCummins

That guy....
So,

Where does a person get service manuals for these transmissions? My brother acquired a nv4500 for his puller that needs completely overhauled and then in talking, a friend has a g56 that he won't touch. I'm willing to try anything, just want specs and not be totally blind starting on them.

Do they make them? Thanks

I'm betting the Chrysler service manuals will be the most thorough. The NV4500 is pretry easy. Can't speak on the other. Good luck.

If he stays working yes. I'll be doing the swap and him supplying parts. Lol. Auto gave up the ghost this last pull and we need a manual to stay competitive

Auto has more ground speed! I was so happy to see it stay an auto this long.

I know a NV5600 can be quite a project to do. Takes a pretty big press to get the gears on and off. It can be done, but it can be quite a challenge.

The factory service manuals have the sections that show how to rebuild the transmissions. Miller special tools make g56 tools for the rebuild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't even attempt my nv5600, due to not having a press, and several people said it'd be best to find a good builder that's done several.

I got my service manuals off of Alldata, same as the Chrysler manual. Pretty sure anybody can buy access to it, or if you have a buddy in a shop he might be able to get you a print out. They're awesome and full of information. I used it to rebuild my NV5600, yes a huge press is necessary but the trans itself is relatively simple.

I got the Chrysler manuals to build my NV5600's. That being said, do NOT go with the NV5600. They are absolute, 100% pieces of the most foul garbage on the planet. Anyone that would like to argue that fact should prepare themselves because I will take this to the grave! Lol! LOL

I got the Chrysler manuals to build my NV5600's. That being said, do NOT go with the NV5600. They are absolute, 100% pieces of the most foul garbage on the planet. Anyone that would like to argue that fact should prepare themselves because I will take this to the grave! Lol! LOL

As much as I would like to invoke this conversation I’ll pass haha.

The 5600 is not terrible, I have one with close to 300k on the clock and it has not had an easy life. Take care of it and it’ll last. These things are not bullet proof by any means but I’ll take the gearing of the 5600 over the 4500 all day.

Now for pulling and track, that’s a different story, but then again if you’re still rowing and doing either then that tells me you’re not too committed but rather just trying to have some fun which I respect.

As much as I would like to invoke this conversation I’ll pass haha.

The 5600 is not terrible, I have one with close to 300k on the clock and it has not had an easy life. Take care of it and it’ll last. These things are not bullet proof by any means but I’ll take the gearing of the 5600 over the 4500 all day.

Now for pulling and track, that’s a different story, but then again if you’re still rowing and doing either then that tells me you’re not too committed but rather just trying to have some fun which I respect.

I also like the gearing, but I've had 5600's that launched before I even had a chance to put any power to it. I'm sure an experienced tranny tech. would know how to get one to live, but I'm an engine and electrical kinda guy; I don't know anything transmission related outside of what the manual tells you.

Back