Sensors for data logging

megastang

Does anyone have suggestions for temperature and pressure sensors to use for datalogging? I want to start getting my data logging setup on my pulling truck. I'd like to find a 100 psi or better sensor for logging pressures. K type thermocouples are pretty obvious for exhaust. I'd also like to measure boost temperatures at multiple points. Should I be looking at a different type of thermocouple for that or a temp sensor?

From used Data logger on a street truck I have found that cheaper pressure sensors are fairly junk. Either they don't read correctly or quit working after a bit. I found a sensor that is a bit cheaper than AEM or holleys 0-100PSI sensor, but its still $90 each(PPT81-0-100G2). They should also have sensor that go higher pressures if you need them. Its kind of the same story for EGT sensors, I ended up get a amplifier(TCA-MS-K-1) to convert the EGT sensor(EGT-IP-072-0001-SS-N) read out to a 0-5Volt signal. For measuring charge air temp, you could use a thermocouple, but most people use a air temp sensor from turbo car. I am in the process of installing one in mine truck to help check intercooler efficiency. I ended up going with sensor(HT-010204) since its 1/4" NPT, not the more common 3/8" NPT and I had a extra 1/4" bung.

I am running mine threw a Edge CTS2 with EAS system, but depending on what brand data logger you get, you may have a better solutions or options from what I did.

Last edited:
I have a National instruments cDAQ unit with multiple modules. I forget the exact specs but the modules I have are labeled +- 20ma (4-20MA?) +-10V and one module that is for thermocouples as well as one module for digital inputs and outputs.

I have a National instruments cDAQ unit with multiple modules. I forget the exact specs but the modules I have are labeled +- 20ma (4-20MA?) +-10V and one module that is for thermocouples as well as one module for digital inputs and outputs.

Most of the sensors will probably be the 0-5V. I used honeywell sensors for mine. Decent selection of them. You just will need to scale your engineering units for the 0-5V.

Back