Long time no talk, vp44

fummins

Hey all,

Figured I'd ask some of yall here. My latest build includes a cherry 97 f-350, obs 4x4 cclb truck. As this is version 2.0 I decided to do the dreaded vp44 5.9 as I basically got a donor truck for free. Truck runs relatively well, but experiencing a few little issues.
Mods engine wise are:
Fire-ringed head, springs, tappets, push rods, ARP everywhere, stock rods, treated pistons, etc. stock cam,
Billet wheel 64mm charger
fluid dampr
3 piece manifold
.093 stainless lines (just added )
Scheid race pump vp44
oversized push tubes
Trans - ant eater , billet 48re by my buddy Jessie Harris
Tunes: Quadzilla, custom by 1badvp44 (TJ Frey)
Fuel system: Big a1000, regulated return at 15psi.

The problem I'm experiencing is air, and or turbo surge on the race tune. The truck died once on a WOT run. Can get started after bleeding lines. I'm fairly certain that it is the .093 lines causing the issue, but seeing if there was a "fix" before going back to stock lines. Just want a good running street truck. Heres a goofy link to truck before I did a bunch of extra work and cleaning it up for my nephew. Thnx in advance for your help! -JJ

Work truck - Ford Cummins - YouTube

Why do you need .093 lines? If you think that's causing the issues, and you just want "a good running street truck" put stock lines back on it.

Stock lines and push tubes will feed 220hp injectors 15 years ago and make 650hp, you don't have enough air for that anyway.

Throw stock lines and tubes back on it and see if that fixes it...
Chris

Why do you need .093 lines? If you think that's causing the issues, and you just want "a good running street truck" put stock lines back on it.

Stock lines and push tubes will feed 220hp injectors 15 years ago and make 650hp, you don't have enough air for that anyway.

Throw stock lines and tubes back on it and see if that fixes it...
Chris

With ya...guess I should've done more research before purchasing lines. I'm about 95 percent sure the stockers will fix it, and I will certainly do that. However, when is the .093 lines useful? Injector pop pressure is the issue vs. injection pump vs lines. Actually spitting air back in them. I'm planning on doing twins soon, as I just relocated filter with the pac-brake kit. Thnx for the swifty reply Brotha! :)

To be clear, is it dieing when you let out of the throttle after going wide open? If so, I've always been led to believe that's just a vp thing if you just chop the throttle shut. Always been told to let out easy, or to "blip" the throttle as it comes down.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

To be clear, is it dieing when you let out of the throttle after going wide open? If so, I've always been led to believe that's just a vp thing if you just chop the throttle shut. Always been told to let out easy, or to "blip" the throttle as it comes down.

Yep, same here and it fixed my stalling issues after wot pulls

10-4 fellas....thnx. And yes, to be clear, it is more pronounced when you really let out of it after a hard run. I'm sure I can train myself to drive it properly, but when the old lady gets in, she'll be pissed. HAHA! Question remains, when is the .093 lines needed? Maybe with a p-pump conversion (which this motor will most likely see at some point...but, just trying to shoot for a good 7-800hp street truck with vp)

10-4 fellas....thnx. And yes, to be clear, it is more pronounced when you really let out of it after a hard run. I'm sure I can train myself to drive it properly, but when the old lady gets in, she'll be pissed. HAHA! Question remains, when is the .093 lines needed? Maybe with a p-pump conversion (which this motor will most likely see at some point...but, just trying to shoot for a good 7-800hp street truck with vp)

Never with a VP?

I've never tried to push a VP that far, but I know 650 is possible with stock lines. I've done around 525hp with a VP is it. Done 650ish with a 12v and P7100 with stock lines as well.

I'm sure someone will chime in and say .093" lines gave them 30hp but unless you are EXTREME, I can't think you have that much fuel available from a normal or HR VP.

Chris
Chris

I did 624/1240 on stock lines and stock vp, truck was also 20ibs shy of boost on the dyno that it sees on the street.

I did 624/1240 on stock lines and stock vp, truck was also 20ibs shy of boost on the dyno that it sees on the street.

Good to hear...figuring I should be at least close to that with the race pump, etc. Gonna play with some injector combo, and a charger to see where its happy. My guess is a combination of the tubes, lines, charger, tune, etc. etc. will make it right. I'll get it down. Appreciate all the input. I've been out of the game way too long from my truck pulling days.

shiz i oughtta dyno the flatbed then..63/68 8x10 intake horn hrvp drag comp 50 lbs boost..making 1000!!!!!!! lol

If Gary's flatbed had that wing on it, it would flip over backwards.

I've seen that gray flatbed go down the track before at bradenton, ain't no joke for a 14s truck.

If Gary's flatbed had that wing on it, it would flip over backwards.

I've seen that gray flatbed go down the track before at bradenton, ain't no joke for a 14s truck.

lol..this place is def love hate all you bastards...btw jc....i got ya on that elec shop....thanks

sold the wing kids...for twice what i paid!

Hey all,

Figured I'd ask some of yall here. My latest build includes a cherry 97 f-350, obs 4x4 cclb truck. As this is version 2.0 I decided to do the dreaded vp44 5.9 as I basically got a donor truck for free. Truck runs relatively well, but experiencing a few little issues.
Mods engine wise are:
Fire-ringed head, springs, tappets, push rods, ARP everywhere, stock rods, treated pistons, etc. stock cam,
Billet wheel 64mm charger
fluid dampr
3 piece manifold
.093 stainless lines (just added )
Scheid race pump vp44
oversized push tubes
Trans - ant eater , billet 48re by my buddy Jessie Harris
Tunes: Quadzilla, custom by 1badvp44 (TJ Frey)
Fuel system: Big a1000, regulated return at 15psi.

The problem I'm experiencing is air, and or turbo surge on the race tune. The truck died once on a WOT run. Can get started after bleeding lines. I'm fairly certain that it is the .093 lines causing the issue, but seeing if there was a "fix" before going back to stock lines. Just want a good running street truck. Heres a goofy link to truck before I did a bunch of extra work and cleaning it up for my nephew. Thnx in advance for your help! -JJ

Work truck - Ford Cummins - YouTube
With a VP44, when you let out of the throttle or load is removed quickly, fuel is shut off so fast that you get cavitation inside the pump creating a vapor pocket that can be a real bear to purge. Some setups/pumps do it more than others it seams. Mine was horrible. I bumped my lift pump pressure to 30psi. and that took care of it; no more stalling.

Last edited:
i call bs..everyone on facebook says youll never get it to start with pressure that high and that even if ya do youll ruin the vp in like 5 mnutes...

i call bs..everyone on facebook says youll never get it to start with pressure that high and that even if ya do youll ruin the vp in like 5 mnutes...

That’s why I put it through an oil pressure switch; pump doesn’t start until there’s oil pressure so there’s no lift pump pressure during cranking. And I did this like 10 years ago and everything is still fine soooooo, next? Or are you being a smartass again? LOL

Last edited:
That’s why I put it through an oil pressure switch; pump doesn’t start until there’s oil pressure so there’s no lift pump pressure during cranking. And I did this like 10 years ago and everything is still fine soooooo, next? Or are you being a smartass again? LOL
Gary's always being an ass, just usually not a very smart one! ?

nope..yall are wrong..i saw it on fbook and those guy know thier shiz...theyre panty droppers not like you guys talking bout trucks and stuff

Back