Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Suncoast Converters
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Suncoast Converters Transmissions, Torque Converters.

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #21
DaveMatthews

Name: DaveMatthews
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazeeun View Post
An S400 single of some type is in my future yes (yes mine's a 6.7), whether I go batmowheel or not is TBD. I would go 2nd gen manifold with a single charger of some sort if I were you. There's a difference in being able to spool a giant charger and tow with a giant charger... if you need to be able to tow, I wouldn't go any larger than S472 in a .90A/R T4 housing, that's what our 6.7 show tow truck uses.

A single S366 in a non gated T4 .90 housing and a 6 blade billet wheel would be a GREAT starting point... without the billet wheel that charger can be had in the $1000-1200 price range and on the 2nd gen manifold would be an easy swap to a larger single in the future as you turn up the fuel...

We've got a set of S472/S595 compounds on a built duramax at the shop... it's just retarded power ... not exactly a starting point though
Ok. Lost me again. Where can I find some good reading on turbos, housing, terminology, sizing, race cover????? Who do you recommend as the manufacturer.

When you say .90a/r. what is that referring to.. One last question. I know that some are good to tow with and some arn't. But why exactly. Is it just the simple fact that you have to go fast in order to keep the turbo lit?

Old 04-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #22
Krazeeun

Name: Krazeeun
Title: Hardway Performance
Member`s Gallery
you've got a lot of learning to do my friend! look up borg warner air werks and the turbos by garrett websites, theres a ton of turbo info on there.

Personally I like borg warner chargers (S300/S400 etc..) but mostly just because that's what I'm familiar with, I'm sure the garrett chargers are good too I've just never messed with them. FYI; industrial injection, engineered diesel, fleece, bullseye... those guys dont "manufacture" turbo's, they take borg warner chargers and machine/tweak them into something fancy. If I were you I'd start with a "box stock" borg warner charger and as your need for power grows you can add the goodies to the charger along the way (billet wheel, different exhaust housings, race covers etc..)

Or when you're ready for a turbo call me and we can discuss your wants/needs of your truck and go from there... the possibilities are literally endless

RYAN MILLIKEN
I WILL NOT KEEP CALM
I WILL RAISE HELL AND BREAK ****
'14 Ram SCSB Pro-Street "MiniWheat" - 5.299ET@136.49MPH/4515#
'66 Nova X275 4.289@170.8/3430#
'69 Nova X275 .... still on pro jacks
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Old 04-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #23
DaveMatthews

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
you've got a lot of learning to do my friend! look up borg warner air werks and the turbos by garrett websites, theres a ton of turbo info on there.

Personally I like borg warner chargers (S300/S400 etc..) but mostly just because that's what I'm familiar with, I'm sure the garrett chargers are good too I've just never messed with them. FYI; industrial injection, engineered diesel, fleece, bullseye... those guys dont "manufacture" turbo's, they take borg warner chargers and machine/tweak them into something fancy. If I were you I'd start with a "box stock" borg warner charger and as your need for power grows you can add the goodies to the charger along the way (billet wheel, different exhaust housings, race covers etc..)

Or when you're ready for a turbo call me and we can discuss your wants/needs of your truck and go from there... the possibilities are literally endless
call u. That sounds easiest. I'll be reading until then.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #24
DaveMatthews

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Ok. So a s366... That's the like the silver66 that gets thrown around here? Sounds pretty cheap. Match that with a steed speed 2nd gen manifold. HHMM. Ok. Other than studs, do I need to do anything else to the block right now?? Can it handle that.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #25
Krazeeun

Member`s Gallery
a "silver 66" is a borg warner charger that industrial's tinkered with and they have T3 housings... it's very similar though

silver 66 is S366/74-.83AR internally gated T3
"box stock s366 is 66/73 .90 on non gated T4... put a billet wheel in a standard S366 and IMO is far superior to a silver 66 or equivalent

RYAN MILLIKEN
I WILL NOT KEEP CALM
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Old 04-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #26
DaveMatthews

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
a "silver 66" is a borg warner charger that industrial's tinkered with and they have T3 housings... it's very similar though

silver 66 is S366/74-.83AR internally gated T3
"box stock s366 is 66/73 .90 on non gated T4... put a billet wheel in a standard S366 and IMO is far superior to a silver 66 or equivalent
Sounds great to me. Now this wld make a good primary for a small twin set up right?? Or am I way off. Like later down the road adding a s4xx to it?

Old 04-23-2011, 01:21 AM   #27
Krazeeun

Member`s Gallery
You could compound it... or you could just upgrade to an S475 single and follow the KISS method...

RYAN MILLIKEN
I WILL NOT KEEP CALM
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Old 04-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #28
DaveMatthews

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You could compound it... or you could just upgrade to an S475 single and follow the KISS method...
KISS method? Gonna have to explain that one. And when you say upgrade it, are you meaning whole new turbo, or just internals??

Closed Thread