Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Vulcan Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Fishin2Deep4U

Name: Fishin2Deep4U
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
DrawStraw I test results.

Okay guys,

there has been a large resurgence in the DS1 lately due to guys trying to fix fuel slosh issues. In case you do not know, the DS1 was the first unit of it's kind and continues to be a staple for the '94-'04 truck owners.

This system replaces the factory module fittings with a single 1/2" draw with 2 returns. One for factory fuel and 1 for bypass fuel from an AirDog or Fass, ect.

I have the first DrawStraw built and when we did my install we were just figuring it out as we went along. In doing so, my setup removed all the factory filter fabric from the module "puck" top and bottom. I ran the DrawStraw down until it touched the tank bottom and used an aggressive slash. Again, we were doing a first time ever install.

So, my setup is as close to the tank bottom as any DS2 install, but just located in the module.

I ran home from the shop last night and wanted to see how far I could push the fuel and see if I was getting any signs of slosh.

In short, I never lost fuel pressure and put in 32.673 gallons at the pump. I did not feel I could push it any further as the gauge was buried on the 'E' .

I put on 629.4 miles for an average fuel economy of 19.26mpg. This includes a trip out to the Peninsula on 2 lane roads, making level 6 passes, driving in town, driving up to the hills yarding and loading firewood for about 3 or 4 trips, driving back over an hour with full loads of firewood with a trailer and running to the shop. So a little of everything. Setup in the truck is FireBallPro200's, Edge Juice on 1x1 for freeway on cruise, level 6 for everything else, Dodgezilla over S400 twins, 3.54 gears, auto, 265 tires, 4x4. Normal fuel economy for freeway is 23mpg winter and 24mpg summer.

So, we are planning on swapping out my old DS1 tube for a new one with a less dramatic slash cut and we'll repeat with a can of fuel in the back. This time we'll run it until fuel pressure or engine cutoff is achieved and see what kind of fuel can be drawn out. Also, I am going to completely empty the tank and completely refill to the filler neck to see just how much my tank holds. Obviously we will trailer to the station.

And finally, we are going to take our test tank and see just how far off the bottom the remaining 2.4 gallons would be. This will give guys a better picture of what they are dealing with.

Hope the info helps.

Dave

Vulcan Diesel Performance

Call me direct at 503.970.6712

Closed Thread