14mm head studs failure

DISTURBED

YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
So I moved my old 2.6 truck the other day out from in front of the combine so I could get it out for harvest. It's been moved for a few weeks maybe a month. Me and my boy were messing around in the bay where the truck was setting and he said he found a bolt in the gravel, so I told him to let me see it. Well it wasn't a bolt but instead a stud with the nut on it. So I go over to my truck and sure enough one of the short studs buy the manifold is gone. So the only thing I can figure is when it broke it shot out of the hole???? Anyone else ever seen something crazy like this?

Attachments

• IMG_20171023_170141400.jpg
    IMG_20171023_170141400.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20171023_170129698.jpg
    IMG_20171023_170129698.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
Not exactly relevant to your question, but I'm going to be needing 14mm head studs soon, probably several sets. I'm thinking about using ARP 14mm main studs for everything but the rockers (12V), making spacers for the 6 exhaust side studs, and having ARP make the long ones.

^ I've seen the spacer thing done before so you can use more of the same sized hardware.

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpg
    IMG_1456.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 0
The ones I've made are 1" od 1/4" wall.

Ever wonder why 24v manifold bolts have spacers? It keeps the bolts from loosening up.

The ones I've made are 1" od 1/4" wall.

Ever wonder why 24v manifold bolts have spacers? It keeps the bolts from loosening up.

More of a constant tension idea. Never even thought about this.

Though I'd sure want to machine some out of round bar, not just a piece of pipe that has a weld seam.

You could do some simple math, but I would bet using some DOM mild steel would be just fine. It's going to be quite a bit harder than the cast iron head it's on anyways. Might want to use a washer at the bottom of the spacer too.

That’s how (Monster Pump) Mike built his 12v studs. I’ve never had an issue with mine other then getting ahold of him to get longer ones....

Not exactly relevant to your question, but I'm going to be needing 14mm head studs soon, probably several sets. I'm thinking about using ARP 14mm main studs for everything but the rockers (12V), making spacers for the 6 exhaust side studs, and having ARP make the long ones.

14MM XHD, L-19, HEAD STUDS, CUMMINS, 12 VALVE, 24 VALVE, BOTTOM TAP Haisley Machine

Why try to re-invent the wheel? I think Jeremy's situation is the exception, not the normal. I've been 3 seasons on my Haisley 14mm studs with countless re-torques and they are still fine. They aren't much more than regular ARP 12mm studs

14MM XHD, L-19, HEAD STUDS, CUMMINS, 12 VALVE, 24 VALVE, BOTTOM TAP Haisley Machine

Why try to re-invent the wheel? I think Jeremy's situation is the exception, not the normal. I've been 3 seasons on my Haisley 14mm studs with countless re-torques and they are still fine. They aren't much more than regular ARP 12mm studs

Because to do 5 sets, I have a $1872.75 allowance to get 30 long studs made, and the nuts and washers. I end up with a better setup with the longer exhaust side studs, I prefer ARP, and I'll actually have a bit bigger allowance than that since a good friend of mine is a ARP dealer.

I'm not trying to create a 5 stroke cycle engine here, it's freaking hardware.

This is definitely not the norm. Thats why I was asking if anyone else had seem them fly out after they broke. I've broke studs torquing them but never seen them break for no reason. I've torqued these a few times and they have been installed in this engine for 2 years fine till recently.

I’ll assume that was a L-19 grade 14mm stud? If so, L-19 material is very succeptible to hydrogen embrittlement and stress corrosion. Leaving them sit outside un-oiled or not ran for long periods of time would cause that. That’s why we either use standard 2000 or 625 material on head studs, and L-19 only on rod bolts.

I’ll assume that was a L-19 grade 14mm stud? If so, L-19 material is very succeptible to hydrogen embrittlement and stress corrosion. Leaving them sit outside un-oiled or not ran for long periods of time would cause that. That’s why we either use standard 2000 or 625 material on head studs, and L-19 only on rod bolts.

So what grade steel are 625's or 2000 studs?

Are 425's a different grade yet?

It looks as if that stud was fatigued for a while, and finally gave way when you moved the truck.

These are A1's which I think are H-11's

Back