Truck dead, Need a little help

Carl

flies on weekdays
So I go to start the truck the other day, and the starter just cranks it over. Worked fine the day before. I couldn't even find a good way to get to the pre-filter, or the larger fuel filter. Someone else suggested checking out the fuel shut-off solinoid. I can't even see clearly where that is..

I need some help here :D
Thanks for anything

Check your fuel shutoff solonoid. It might not be working correctly. I pulls up when you crank over your truck. When it is malfunctioning you dont get any fuel at the injection pump.

Thanks Jambbii, ya know the best way to reach the solinoid? I can't even see where it's located.
Thanks

to check the Fuel shut-off solenoid.......... get in the truck and turn the key ON, go outside pop the hood and lift up on the solenoid untill it clicks up into the run position. Get in the truck and it should start. But, remember each time you turn the key off, the solenoid with pop back down again. It engages (pops up) when the motor first turns over not when you turn the key on.

Just check that then go from there.

Hey, I appreciate your posts guys.. I looked at the picture in the link provided above, and still can't make sense of where the solinoid is I need to lift up on. Could anyone help me there?
Thanks for your patients :D

ok look across from the front of your master cylinder to the motor
the AFC housing has a large allen head plug in it now if you look down you will see a silenoid with wirs going to it reach down and lift up on the lever it is attached to that is the fuel shut off but you must have the key on
more than likely it is the relay up on the fire wall close to the brake master cylinder or it could be a blue wire burnt over by the battery. any way it is not a major problem COST wise if you buy the relay from the stealer it will be costly but you can just buy a relay at an electronic shop 70amp and it should work but it will need to have the same blade set up on it !

CUT AWAY VIEW OF AFC HOUSING THE SILONOID IS MOUNTED TO THE AREA THAT IS CUT OUT IN THE PHOTO
http://www.cumminsdatabase.com/images_articles/p_pump01.jpg
Oh yeah there are 2 relays IT IS THE BIG ONE .

Last edited:
I located the solenoid, and it stayed up by itself. It still wouldn't start. I'll look at the fused wire. BTW the rubber boot around it is torn to pieces.
Thanks

Last edited:
OK that is the fuel Solenoid you found it if it still wont start with it in the up position you have another problem ! and order the boot to replace it before it gets messed up inside. sounds like you may have air in the lines if the solenoid pulled up and no start check your fuel lines they could be dry rotted and leaking air into the system they will not leak fuel out just air in replace the lines from the pump to frame .

Back