Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling > Sled Events
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Events Post Sled Pulling Events here

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #41
outlaw99

Name: outlaw99
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
While I agree with you tyler on additives there needs to be a point where the fuel stops or it should just be allowed.. my opinion allow it! If not then they need to cut back on there mixes.. Ive seen the mixs and its not a mix to keep the pump lubricated its a mix more to make more hp.

TOOPS PERFORMANCE
IN HOUSE DYNO TUNING
EFI LIVE/UDC TUNING CUMMINS

03-04.5 efi conversions

Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #42
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Speaking of rules how about the folks that don't run brakes all the way around in the 2.6 class, when the last time I saw the rules they were required.

Rules are there to be followed. How are you allowed to pick and choose which rules are enforced and which ones aren't? Those guy that pulled off their drum brakes just gained more weight to hang out front. So if you take the attitude that the rear brakes don't help, you should weigh a set of drums. "No rear brakes? sure we will let you hook, but your required to put 150lbs behind the rear axle"

Rear brakes in an ODL class is probably because someone just copied and pasted the rules from the 2.6 class.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 05-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #43
AdaMax

Name: AdaMax
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
So when I put twice the amount of Shafers additive in my truck that it calls for . Is that enough to throw my dc up into the dq range ?

Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #44
outlaw99

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaMax View Post
So when I put twice the amount of Shafers additive in my truck that it calls for . Is that enough to throw my dc up into the dq range ?
prob. not. on edit... when does a truck call for a additive?? lol

TOOPS PERFORMANCE
IN HOUSE DYNO TUNING

03-04.5 efi conversions

Old 05-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #45
Interstate

Name: Interstate
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Danny its Steven Willoughby the tire thing i have no idea about but the fuel testing is designed to keep the class more in line they are giving you a big scale like regular pump fuel is 2.9 and BOB is allowing 4.9 so the two trucks that got DQ Josh were close to 10 hey Josh call Goodlett he will tell u i am just saying what i heard and the other truck that got DQ had a hand throttle

Old 05-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #46
BluegrassDiesel

Name: BluegrassDiesel
Title: UK2K!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdillard View Post
#2 pump fuel doesn't have enough lubricants in it. So additives are put into the fuel to prolong injection pump,injectors etc. we have had several problems with regular fuel in our tractors on the farm. All of the fuel we have delivered now is treated so why in the world would an org. expect us to run it in a pulling truck. You guys can run fuel straight from the pump if u like. I for one will not. I've had my fair share of injector pump/injector issues. I know the fuel Haisley runs passes PPL and that's where I plan on running anyways so B.O.B can do what the wish. They are the ones who will pay for it and lose all the top trucks.
Lubricity additives shouldn't raise the DC to disqualify you. We had a fuel mix that failed BoB tech also. So we'll run farm diesel and a lubricity additive at BoB pulls.

SHOP ONLINE @ http://WWW.SHOPBLUEGRASS.COM

97 DodgePPL Limited Pro Stock "The Crippler"
09 3500 GMC CCDually
05 Silverado SS

Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #47
smootfarms

Name: smootfarms
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
"on the fuel note.. they got dipped last year and failed at schied if I remember right.. ppl said next year you will be booted... wtf werent they booted then" As far as i know i was the only 2.6 truck that had a fuel sample tested at schied last year. And i passed fine there was never a warning of any type given to me

Old 05-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #48
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Member`s Gallery
On a related note what are you guys running for fuel additive lubes? I've heard everything from synthetic ATF to Diesel Service to Lucas Oil Power Steering Pump Lube, Stanadyne...etc.

Also will my CP3 need it just like a p-pump (I'm guessing yes)?

Old 05-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #49
vhaisley

Name: vhaisley
Member`s Gallery
Fuel additives & dielectric testers

The dielectric tester that BOB is using is the same tester that NTPA uses. It is over 30 years old and measures the conductivity of the fuel. This tester was designed before bio-diesel fuels. Bio-diesel fuels conduct electricity. B20 diesel fuel right out of the pump will not pass. This fuel can be purchased at various retail locations and is recommended by Ford for their 6.7 engines. See the badge on the side of the truck, B20.

We have found that adding Soy oil (Schaeffer) to bio-diesel fuel is an excellent lubricate.

At all NTPA events, you have a chance to sample your fuel prior to running. That way you know how much Bio-Diesel came thru the pipeline and have a chance to adjust your mix accordingly. We do not agree with this test as lack of lubrication can cause injection pump and injector failures.

Last year at Bowling Green, OH, 1 Super Farm tractor puller tested 14 fuel samples before he passed.

Tractor pullers have learned how to beat this dielectric tester, but ruin injectors every 6 hooks. Now NTPA first samples your fuel with a styrofoam cup. If you pass the styrofoam cup, then they proceed to test your fuel.

At Louisville this year, Van & Curt's fuel came out of the same jug (bio-diesel from our farm tank), prior to running, we had the fuel tested. Van's truck tested 5.0 and Curt's checked 5.2. We had to go downtown and get straight diesel fuel (not bio-diesel) to wein the mix down to pass NTPA test.

Temperature also effects this test. Also if the inspector is not cleaning his probes with the proper cleaning solution, it can effect the result as well. When we pull NTPA, we know this is the rules and we have to abide by them (agree or not) to run. If BOB is going to enforce this fuel rule, they must allow you to pre-test prior to running and they must also conduct the test properly.

We have been working with PPL for the past 2 years on fuel mixes. They know that the dielectric tester is an antiquated method and they are using a more common sense approach to testing. They are using 2 primary tests: 1. Styrofoam cup, the 2nd is a "flash" test of the fuel. If you fail the sobriaty tests at the event, they will send your fuel sample to a lab to be tested before implementing a disqualification.

Maybe it is that PPL is owned by a lubricant company that they know the importance of fuel lubrication.

Haisley Machine blended fuels have NO oxygenators or illegal components. We recommend this fuel because we are turning these injection pumps 3 times the speed that they were designed for.

We think if the smaller sanctioned groups such as BOB, ITPA & COTPC etc..want to test fuel, it should be the styrofoam cup and flash tests only. If the fuel passes these tests the guys cheating with fuel containing dangerous components will be caught.

We invested in a dielectric testers so we could sample fuel ourselves. Erik Stacey also purchased a tester for the same reason. It is a joke! You can put your fuel in a refrigerator and it will pass. Take the same fuel (hot) our of your fuel cell after running down the track and it will test 1.0 higher. We can set our fuel at our shop and then test at the track by an NTPA official and we never have the same readings twice.

In answer to the young man's question on doubling the Schaffer soy - YES it can and probably will make your fuel illegal. Because soy oil conducts electricity.

It is our desire to educate people and sanctioning bodies (if they would ask) about the importance of the fuel lubrication and the testing methods being used.

Pullers cannot afford to tear up injection pumps and injectors because of stupidity and God complexes of tech officials. We would hope that all santioning bodies would agree that having 40 trucks at their events instead of 10 is a good thing!

Good competitive trucks put butts in the seats! I thought that was the goal of all concerned. Like Van always says "There is no better reward than to hear the crowd cheering with his helmet still on at the end of the track!"

Old 05-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #50
outlaw99

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smootfarms View Post
"on the fuel note.. they got dipped last year and failed at schied if I remember right.. ppl said next year you will be booted... wtf werent they booted then" As far as i know i was the only 2.6 truck that had a fuel sample tested at schied last year. And i passed fine there was never a warning of any type given to me
My source must have been wrong.. I apologize if that's the case. In any situation I believe fuel just needs to be allowed.. these trucks aren't your daily driven motors anymore!

TOOPS PERFORMANCE
IN HOUSE DYNO TUNING

03-04.5 efi conversions

Old 05-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #51
PTPULLINCHASSIS

Name: PTPULLINCHASSIS
Title: DEALS ON REAL WHEELS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
I'm not sure when/why the rule was changed, but I seriously doubt it was to "push out the competition". I don't recall any 2.6 trucks last year that dominated with anything bigger than a 35" tire. Jon Swartzentruber won the 2.6 points last year. Smoot and Hallien had some wins as well as several other trucks, all of whom were running 35 or 33 inch tires.
I seem to recall Evan Davis winning at the B.O.B pull in Williamstown Ky last October w/ 36" tires on the front and somebody was trying to DQ him but they couldn't because they didn't have a 35" tire limit.

I'm sure this had nothing to do with them changing the tire rules for 2012.

Looks like the 2.6 points champion got his way.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #52
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Member`s Gallery
Would someone explain what the styrofoam cup test is for the fuel?

Concerns with the fuel shouldn't be as focused on lubricant additives & to a point, even cetane boosters, but more on oxygenators IMO. The idea of limiting air via inducer limits being a major dividing line between the classes, means of introducing more oxygen through any injectables should be prohibited & thus checked for & enforced.

Thanks for the post above, good information there.

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 05-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #53
BluegrassDiesel

Name: BluegrassDiesel
Title: UK2K!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
Would someone explain what the styrofoam cup test is for the fuel?
If it eats the styrofoam, it fails.

SHOP ONLINE @ http://WWW.SHOPBLUEGRASS.COM

97 DodgePPL Limited Pro Stock "The Crippler"
09 3500 GMC CCDually
05 Silverado SS

Old 05-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #54
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Member`s Gallery
I figured that's what it was. Not good enough but whatever.

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 09-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #55
jtfondy

Name: jtfondy
Member`s Gallery
What is the time limit on the test ?
2 min or 30 min or can it just make the cup
soft and pass ?
They must have a guide for the test . I would like to know