Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > StarLite Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
StarLite Diesel

Name: StarLite Diesel
Title: EFILive Cummins Tester
Member`s Gallery
Where's my customer service

Hey everyone! Zach here from StarLite Diesel.

This is a long post - mostly intended for past,present and prospective customers that have or are considering custom tuning from me. I don't want to waste time of those of you who are not wanting my help or services is all. No disrepect intended in that statement either. I am just long winded.

I wanted to take a few minutes to let my would be AND current customers know why my response times have slipped the past few months, and what i'm doing to try and get back on the rails and get caught up with you! People deserve to know.

Many of you (my customers that is) know that I had open heart surgery in February of this year. The operation was a bigger deal than initially planned, and more 'work' had to be done once the surgeon was 'in there' to get me all straightened out. That of course set me back - at about the worst possible time of the season for my customers. It was of course right as the season was kicking off - sled pulling was starting - so was racing and all other things Diesel.

Anyhow - this surgery knocked me down. I am not that old, but have had a known heart problem since I was born and the doc said it was time to get it fixed. While recovering in the hospital, I saw my business and my service slipping and turn times were headed for the toilet - so on day #7 after the surgery - the day I was able to come home - I sat down and started working on what I could. While I was in the hospital - I was trying to respond to emails and voicemails letting people know what was happening and why I was going to be taking longer. Most everyone was perfectly happy once they knew and were patient with me. Problem was - LOTS of people started coming my way for their tunes - so the backlog got huge. I was working 7 days a week through all of March, although not always full days. The recovery, i must admit - was slow and took alot of energy away from me as my body tried to recover.

April was much of the same. The wife and the doctors told me to slow down a bit because i had been complaining about pain in my chest (i know i know - it SHOULD be hurting) - and because i wasn't healing up like they wanted. They kept an annoyingly close watch on me actually - for April and into early May. Problem with that was, the doctors office is an hour away from me - and I couldn't drive - so taking 2 trips a week to the doctor slowed down my response times even more. To try to help keep up, I hired Christine - which is every bit as much a diesel head as 95% of my customers. She is a smart girl when it comes to these trucks, and has a GREAT knowledge of my offerings and EFILive abilities. When she doesn't know, she also tells the customer and makes a point to get back to them with the right answer. She's a Cummins fanatic, and follows sled pulling VERY closely. She knows alot about the Cummins trucks in particular and has been a great asset to my business. Many of you have probably spoken to her while waiting on me to get your stuff done over the past couple of months.

Anyways - warp ahead to May. I am hurting about as much as ever in the right side of my chest, but the doctors still say nothing is wrong and that im supposed to feel that way. "It's normal." My scar has opened up and 'oozed' on multiple occasions now too, and still the doctor doesn't feel anything is wrong - so I keep on going - determined to get back to 'normal' and start seeing some events since I can't participate. I flew out to TS to support customers I had in all 3 competitions: sled pull, drag racing and dyno. One of my customers won the dyno, for all the good it did him. Drag racing and sled pulling didn't fair as well, my sled pull truck wasn't allowed to enter because he missed the entry deadline while we were on the dyno. The drag racers made it alot of rounds for their respective classes though (pro street and super street I believe is how they're labeled). Finally, while at TS, I felt like i was 'doing something'. But again it took a toll on me and stole a few days away from my getting caught up more.

The first weekend of June I was starting to feel pretty crappy. However, I had planned and scheduled a class in Amarillo, Texas and was on a plane to teach an EFILive class. The week prior to this class, I had noticed my chest starting to swell up and again had talked to the doctors about it. "No problem" again was the answer - so I went to Texas. After the first night of the class (a Saturday night) - my chest / scar finally had enough and the scar opened back up and made a mess of me. A hole the size of a dime was in the middle of my chest. So - I spent saturday night frantically trying to figure out what to do. I wasn't near home, but had no doubt I had some sort of nasty infection. I got things ready, and went and completed my class for the guys Sunday afternoon - then flew home late sunday night. Monday morning bright and early, I was in the doctors office - where they said I had a major infection, and needed immediate surgery to prevent the infection from reaching my heart. That friday i was on the operating table having a huge chunk of my chest removed because all the flesh and tissue, right down to the bone, was full of Staph infection. It's pretty disgusting actually. 4.5" long, by about 1.5" wide and an inch deep. Just cut right out of me in the very center of my chest.

Now came more recovery, and my onery a$$ got out of the hospital and on a plane 8 days later for my EFILive training class in Iowa. It was embarrassing to show up with machines hooked to me and making noise - but everyone understood and we had a great class and AWESOME turnout. Everyone was great with me and understood my occasional need for a break during our roughly 15 hours of class time over the 2 days. Problem was, things had started to slip again...

Then, during the last week of June, I returned to the surgeon only to have them tell me they didn't get all the infection and had to cut more of my chest out. Not as much as the first go round, but enough that it opened the gap up further and started the bad pain all over again. 2 more days in the hospital this time.

Since then - I must say things have been going well for me considering what the past 4 months have been like. While my turn times have sucked, for 'the most part' I have been pretty close to the turn times I promised people when they placed their orders. But for many of my customers who didn't know beforehand - my customer service appeared to be crap. Most people were ok once they knew, but understandably many people were still upset. Unfortunatley I didn't get much time to warn people before these surgeries. I don't blame anyone for being upset with me, I just want them to know it is NOT how i have done business nor intend to do business. It simply couldn't be helped. I KNOW it would SUCK to have to wait 5-7 business days on some occasions to get the tunes for your trucks. Some people even got missed int he shuffle and waiting 10+ days before getting upset and contacting me to find out where there stuff was. I am apologizing publicly for it.

I wrote all this because I wanted people to know that I AM getting better (several calls a week from people about this), and I AM getting VERY close to normal turn times). Overall - I am still feeling really well. I've made great headway in the past 2 weeks - but that doesn't make up for the customers who may have never gotten a call back from me, or a follow up email. Despite my best efforts - things have just been overwhelming and some of it lost in the shuffle. I am hoping this message clears up a little bit of the reasons why. I am doing my best, and plan to get back to having the great service levels and speeds that people expected from me.

So - thank you all for your time and patience while reading this. It is too long - but I SUCK at condensing this much information. 4 motnhs is alot to cram into one post.

To my customers, again THANK YOU! Many of you gave me motivation to push myself each day. Others were expressing their concern and sending their well wishes to me via email, text and phone. THAT WAS AWESOME. Thank you guys too! I also know some of you aren't thrilled with me, I still want to say thank you for your patronage though.

To those of you I have missed responding to properly - again my apologies. I didn't do it on purpose. And to my future customers - thank you for considering me! I look forward to continue earning your business. I hope my honesty hasn't chased anyone away. I feel honesty is important and that people should know about my business and why it is what it is.

Thanks again!

-->Zach

EFILive Cummins beta tester and "Brand X" SCI Cummins beta tester! Like us on FaceBook!
StarLiteDiesel.com

Old 07-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
TMONEYDIESEL

Name: TMONEYDIESEL
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Just glad you are alive, thats all i care about.

YOUR SOURCE FOR:
Camshafts
Pushrods
Valve springs
Custom Turbos
Exhaust Manifolds
Carrillo Connecting rods

Old 07-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
StarLite Diesel

Member`s Gallery
I haven't forgot about you either Taylor - finally going to be getting the H&S test done this weekend - should be ready to discuss your stuff further by end of next week! Again, sorry for my delays... :-)

EFILive Cummins beta tester and "Brand X" SCI Cummins beta tester! Like us on FaceBook!
StarLiteDiesel.com

Old 07-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
MaxPowerLB7

Name: MaxPowerLB7
Title: Amateur
Member`s Gallery
I had no idea you were having such issues with your recovery. Happy to hear your doing better, good luck in your continuing recovery.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Glad you're finally feeling better, staph is a scary deal.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Old 07-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
syrupdawg

Name: syrupdawg
Title: GA Diesel Mafia
Member`s Gallery
Good to know you are doing better! If anyone is considering using Zach dont hesitate. Even with all the trouble he was having he still always managed to get the tunes i needed quickly especially the ones i needed ASAP. Good luck on a full recovery zach!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
prodiesel804

Name: prodiesel804
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Get well soon. I think you have done a good job considering the situation the past couple of months.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
StarLite Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Thanks guys - just wanted people to know that i'm rally not being a flake - just had A LOT of business coming in coupled with some pretty big constraints on getting work done. I didn't want people to think I was just making up stupid excuses when they called. Been a pretty serious ordeal and I REALLY want my name to stay in a good light. If you go look through the forums, you'll see the past 2 months that I have basically not posted anything.

I spent a little time last night looking around hoping not to find any threads saying bad things about my customer service or turn times - and amazingly everything I found was still positive - so thanks again to everyone for your support!

StarLiteDiesel.com

Old 07-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
TMONEYDIESEL

Name: TMONEYDIESEL
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I cant believe you havent taken care of me because you were dying, how selfish.

YOUR SOURCE FOR:
Camshafts
Pushrods
Valve springs
Custom Turbos
Exhaust Manifolds
Carrillo Connecting rods

Old 07-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
StarLite Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMONEYDIESEL View Post
I cant believe you havent taken care of me because you were dying, how selfish.
.... i know. i'm a rude kinda guy

StarLiteDiesel.com

Old 07-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
DaveMatthews

Name: DaveMatthews
Member`s Gallery
Zach's a trooper. I don't know how many times i've told him to slow down. You'd think he'd listen when he started ooozing in the back of my car.

Hey, you left out the rocky mountain oysters...

Now hurry up and get with mcc so u can feel my pain.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
NicG

Name: NicG
Title: the only way to fly...
Member`s Gallery
Zach,not only are you one of the nicest dudes I know,your one of the toughest SOB's on this rock too boot! Glad your feeling better bud! Hoping to get yer ass out here in Sept. Soooo looking forward to clean power again.my current tune is gaining me nick names like locomotive, smoke screen and various other creative monikers

Old 07-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #13
jordanjames81

Name: jordanjames81
Member`s Gallery
Glad to herd Zac. Keep up the healing in pushing to do what you do.
Amsoil oil Dealer
AirDog Fuel Systems
Farmer's Machine
AutoMeter Gauges
AFE Power
Check us out on FaceBook
Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Old 07-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #14
RIDGE_RUNNER

Name: RIDGE_RUNNER
Title: STILL MASTER
Member`s Gallery
Good Luck to you.

Praying for a speedy recovery

2002 GMC,
Big Dipper trans, Moonshine Tuning, 12.65 on fuel 12.00 on the bottle.....retired 4/18/09

Cummins "Moonshine" tuning available soon............

Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #15
StarLite Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicG View Post
Zach,not only are you one of the nicest dudes I know,your one of the toughest SOB's on this rock too boot! Glad your feeling better bud! Hoping to get yer ass out here in Sept. Soooo looking forward to clean power again.my current tune is gaining me nick names like locomotive, smoke screen and various other creative monikers
Well, with six 1/4" holes drilled in each injector and all that fuel from the big dual CP3s..... whatcha want?

Just kiddin Nick. We will get it dialed. You switched to 90 HP injectors now or.....?

StarLiteDiesel.com

Old 07-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #16
NicG

Name: NicG
Title: the only way to fly...
Member`s Gallery
Hahaha! Luv ya man!I'll hit ya up

Closed Thread