Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > Diesels for Christ
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #81
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Name: GOLDDUSTERS5703
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Let's Keep The Faith

Contend earnestly for the faith... .
Jude 1:3 NKJV
Before leaving the leaders of the church in Ephesus for the last time, Paul said, "After my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves. Therefore watch, and remember that for three years I did not cease to warn everyone night and day with tears. So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified" (Acts 20:29-32 NKJV).
Was Paul being an alarmist? No, fast forward. Years later, speaking to the same church in Ephesus , God says: "You have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place… He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches" (Revelation 2:4-7 NKJV). Note the words 'do the first works.' We must constantly reaffirm our scriptural foundations, and make sure we pass them on to our children.
What are these foundational truths on which the church is built? The infallibility of Scripture, the virgin birth, the sinless life, the atoning death, the bodily resurrection and the mediatorial work of our Lord Jesus Christ, our need to be saved, baptized, filled with the Holy Spirit, and to carry the Gospel to the four corners of the earth, announcing the soon return of Jesus Christ to rule and reign. These form the non negotiable bedrock "which was once for all delivered to the saints" (Jude 3 NKJV). So, let's keep the faith!

At Whit's End:
The truth of the Bible must not be compromised, because it gives us the real facts about Jesus Christ and salvation. The Bible is inspired by God and should never be twisted or manipulated. When it is, it can become confusing over right and wrong and lose sight of the only path that leads to eternal life. Ever feel like you are off track in our faith? Get back to the basics of faith in Jesus Christ and the way to salvation will be much clearer. Faith alone, in Jesus Christ alone, by the mercy and grace of God alone is the only way. If you understand and accept those basic concepts of our faith, you have secured your eternal destination with our Heaven Father. Sometimes the basics are much easier when we return to our "first love."

PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Old 10-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #82
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The Roller-Coaster Ride Of Life

He has made everything appropriate in its time...
Ecclesiastes 3:11 NAS
One preacher said, "Friends, if I were God your body would always be 18, you could eat anything and maintain perfect weight; your middle-aged wife would have the face and figure of an angel; your mid-life husband, thick hair and washboard abs; your youngsters as intelligent as Einstein; your teens cooperative, logical and consistent. Temperatures would be 22 always; snow would be warm, melting overnight; and there'd be no nasty people. Alas, I'm not God!"
So we age, gain weight, struggle raising kids, shiver in winter, sweat in summer, and put up with difficult people. Welcome to the roller-coaster ride of life! It's neither punishment nor proof you're fatally flawed; nor is it heaven or hell selecting you for 'special' persecution, nor evidence you aren't truly saved. No, it's just life in the real world! Jesus said, "On earth you will have many trials… (John 16:33 NLT). As in the physical universe, there's an underlying 'law of wave mechanics.' In accord with it, our energy, emotions and creativity ebb and flow consistently. Sometimes we're on top of the mountain, other times the mountain is on top of us. But whether at peak or trough, God's law of wave mechanics functions - for our benefit. "There is… a time to weep (trough), and a time to laugh (peak); a time to mourn (trough), and a time to dance (peak)" (Ecclesiastes 3:1&4 NAS). While it's more fun to laugh than weep, 'He has made everything appropriate in its time.'
Relax. God, who is Alpha and Omega, determines the seasons of your life. Whichever one you're in, the Word for you today is: "My grace is sufficient for you… (2 Corinthians 12:9 NKJV).

At Whit's End:
As Christians we need to take courage as we live in this fallen world. In spite of the inevitable struggles we face, we are not alone. Jesus does not abandon us to our struggles. If we remember that the ultimate victory has already been won, we can claim the peace of Christ in the most troublesome times.
--Whit

Old 10-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #83
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Worth Dying For

ODB RADIO: Listen Now | Download
READ: Philippians 1:19-26

For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. —Philippians 1:21

Sophie Scholl was a young German woman during the 1940s. She saw the deterioration of her country under the iron rule of the Nazi regime, and she determined to make a difference. She and her brother, with a small group of friends, began to peacefully protest not only the actions but the values that the Nazis had forced upon the nation.

Sophie and others were arrested and executed for speaking out against the evil in their land. Although she wasn’t anxious to die, she saw that the conditions in her country had to be addressed—even if it meant her death.

Sophie’s story raises a critical question for us as well. What would we be willing to die for? Jim Elliot, Nate Saint, Pete Fleming, Roger Youderian, and Ed McCully gave their lives in the jungles of South America because they were committed to spreading the gospel. Elliot revealed the heart that drove such sacrifice when he wrote, “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.” The apostle Paul put it this way: “For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain” (Phil. 1:21).

Some things really are worth dying for—and in them we gain the reward of the One who declares, “Well done, good and faithful servant” (Matt. 25:21,23) — Bill Crowder

Forbid it, Lord, that I should be
Afraid of persecution’s frown;
For You have promised faithful ones
That they shall wear the victor’s crown. —Bosch

Those who faithfully bear the cross in this life will wear the crown in the life to come.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #84
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Are You Distracted?

READ: Luke 10:38-42

Martha was distracted with much serving. —Luke 10:40

In data collected from over 20,000 Christians in 139 countries, The Obstacles to Growth Survey found that, on average, more than 40 percent of Christians around the world say they “often” or “always” rush from task to task. About 60 percent of Christians say that it’s “often” or “always” true that the busyness of life gets in the way of developing their relationship with God. It’s clear that busyness does distract us from our fellowship with Him.

It seems that Martha too allowed busyness to distract her from spending time with Jesus. When she welcomed Him and His disciples into her home, she was occupied with preparing the food, washing their feet, and making sure they were comfortable. All of these things had to be done, but Luke seems to intimate that Martha’s busyness in preparation degenerated into busywork that distracted her from reflecting on Jesus’ words and enjoying time with Him (Luke 10:38-42).

What about us? Are we rushing from task to task, allowing the busyness of life and even work for Jesus to distract us from enjoying sweet fellowship with Him? Let’s ask God to help us diminish our distractions by making Jesus our focus. — Marvin Williams

Lord, I don’t want to miss out on moments of intimacy with You. Help me not to be so busy
that I fail to devote time each day to prayer
and reading Your Word. Amen.

If you are too busy for God, you are too busy.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #85
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Understand One Another

READ: Proverbs 16:16-22

Counsel in the heart of man is like deep water, but a man of understanding will draw it out. —Proverbs 20:5

One of the best ways for a man to love his wife is to understand her. Peter explains that it is imperative for a husband to “dwell with [his wife] with understanding” (1 Peter 3:7).

This principle works both ways. Husbands want to be understood as well. Actually, we all do. Everyone, married or not, longs to be understood by others at the deepest possible level. We’re born with that need, and we never seem to outgrow it.

It’s feeble avoidance to say we can’t understand one another. We can and we must. It takes time—time spent in one another’s presence asking questions, listening intently, then asking again. It’s as simple and as difficult as that. No one, of course, can fully plumb the mystery of another person’s heart, but we can learn something new every day. The wise man of Proverbs called understanding “a wellspring of life” (16:22), a deep source of wisdom to all who seek it.

Again, I say, understanding takes time—one of the most precious gifts we can give to others. How we choose to spend our time is the surest indicator of how much we care for those we love.

Ask the Lord today to give you the grace to take the time to understand the important people in your life. — David H. Roper

To those whose lives we touch in life,
To whom our love we would impart,
The greatest gift that we can give
May be an understanding heart. —Branon

Listening is an open door to understanding.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #86
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Déjà Vu All Over Again

READ: John 21:1-14

After these things Jesus showed Himself again to the disciples at the Sea of Tiberias . —John 21:1

Baseball legend Yogi Berra is known for his oft-repeated quips like, “It ain’t over till it’s over” and “It’s like déjà vu all over again!”

I wonder if the disciples felt déjà vu when they saw Jesus standing by the shore (John 21). Discouraged and distracted by their own needs in the shadow of Peter’s denial and their desertion of Jesus, they had abandoned their calling to follow Jesus and returned to their previous occupation—fishing.

Then, after a fruitless night of fishing, a voice from the shore called out, “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some” (John 21:6). When they did, the nets were so full that they couldn’t be dragged in. No doubt their minds raced back to their first encounter with Jesus—when He showed up on the shore of their careers and, after another miraculous catch of fish, called them to leave their nets and follow Him (Luke 5:1-11).

Like the disciples, we may want to return to our own agendas when we get discouraged in our walk with Jesus. But then Jesus shows up again on the shore of our lives to extend forgiveness and to draw us back to those moments when He first called us.

It’s like déjà vu all over again! — Joe Stowell

Son of the living God! Oh, call us
Once and again to follow Thee;
And give us strength, whate’er befall us,
Thy true disciples still to be. —Martin

Jesus calls us to follow Him— and repeats His call when necessary.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #87
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
What's Your Vision?

Where there is no vision, the people perish...
Proverbs 29:18 AMP
When problems arise, our vision is often the first thing to hit the chopping block. That's because we don't see life the way it is, we see life the way we are. The Bible says: "Where there is no vision the people perish… (Proverbs 29:18 AMP) [live unharnessed and undirected]. When God gives you a vision for your life, you begin to see things as He sees them. Moses 'saw' the Promised Land when everybody around him saw only wilderness, wanted to give up and return to Egypt (Hebrews 11:27). And He understood that he'd get there on God's schedule, according to God's plan, one step at a time. Many tasks seem overwhelming when you look only at their size. But when you break them down into small steps and visualize yourself taking the first step, you're amazed at your progress. You can do something for a day you wouldn't commit to doing for a month; ask any recovering addict!
One Christian leader says: "Vision, like courage and discipline, is a trait that can be developed by anyone willing to work hard at making it part of their every day life." The poet wrote: "Two men looked through prison bars, one saw mud, the other stars." What do you 'see' in your future? Do you think God's just going to drop success into your lap? No, you must energize your vision through faith and give it momentum through hard work!
The Scriptures say "We have the mind of Christ" (1 Corinthians 2:16 NIV), suggests that God thinks His thoughts through us. What an advantage! Jesus told His disciples, "Launch out into the deep… (Luke 5:4 NKJV); as God's child, the world's limitations don't control your supply! So, what's your vision?

At Whit's End:
Where there is ignorance of God, crime and sin run wild. A quick look around our fallen world tells that story vividly. Public morality depends on the knowledge of God, but it also depends on keeping His laws. In order for both nations and individuals to please God, people must know God's ways and strive to keep His precepts. With that in mind, what is your vision? Are you willing to follow His ways or the ways of the world? What legacy will you leave your children? What will they learn from your vision?
--Whit

Old 10-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #88
Southpaw

Name: Southpaw
Title: Slower than most
Member`s Gallery
Thank You Goldduster for continuing this daily ministry.

I really needed to hear "Whats' your vision" today!!

'02 F-250/CC/LB
aFe II, 6" stack, DP-tuned, JWVB, ATS housing, WW, and a whole lot of other stuff that noone cares about.

<><

COLOSSIANS 2:8

Old 10-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #89
chromedome1

Name: chromedome1
Title: Diesel for life.
Member`s Gallery
2nd to Southpaw, I want to see this grow. God Bless

Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #90
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
thanks fellas i appreciate the words of encouragment!!
-jeremy-

When You Feel Anxious

Do not be anxious about anything...
Philippians 4:6 NIV
Anxiety starts as a trickle then creates a channel in our mind through which all our thoughts begin to flow. Most of our anxieties fall into three categories:
1) Anxiety about things we all face: like aging, disability, retirement, loneliness, financial uncertainty, accidents, illness, losing a loved one, and death.
2) Anxiety about things we all must do: like making decisions, starting and ending relationships, losing weight, changing careers, making a mistake.
3) Anxiety reflecting our inner state of mind: These anxieties reveal how we feel about our ability to handle things. For example, fear of rejection can affect every relationship in your life. In order to avoid being hurt you shut others out, your world grows smaller and your opportunities for personal growth are more limited.
Many of our anxieties can be reduced to one question, "What if I can't handle it?" Your mind is the battlefield where victory is won or lost. So ask yourself, "Would I still be anxious if I knew for certain I could handle anything that came up?" The answer is no. Anxiety can't immobilize you and steal your joy when you know you can handle whatever happens.
You say, "That sounds too simple." Not when you bring God into the picture! Here are two great anxiety eliminating Scriptures you can stand on when times are tough:
1) "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Philippians 4:13 NKJV).
2) "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds" (Philippians 4:6-7 NIV).

At Whit's End:
As kids, we were often anxious for many things...Christmas morning, our birthday, the first baseball game of a new season. As adults, many of us are still anxious for things, but can you relate to being "anxious for nothing?" A struggling economy, insecurity in our present work situation, etc., can cause us to be anxious, but we need to remember that anxiety can be turned to peace when we take it to the Lord in prayer. This kind of peace is not found in positive thinking, in an absence of conflict, or in good feelings. It comes from knowing that God is in control. Are you anxious today? Take it to the Lord in prayer. He created the universe, He can surely handle what you are anxious about!
--Whit

Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #91
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Olympic Extravaganza

READ: 1 Kings 10:4-10

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. —Matthew 5:16

The opening ceremony of the Beijing Summer Olympics on August 8, 2008, impressed the world. I saw it on TV as more than 90,000 people watched it live in the Bird’s Nest Stadium in Beijing . It was inspiring to hear about China ’s 5,000 years of history and the inventions she had contributed to the world: paper-making, movable-type printing, the compass, and fireworks.

The Queen of Sheba was greatly impressed by what she saw during her visit with Solomon (1 Kings 10:4-5). The sights of Jerusalem so overwhelmed her that she exclaimed, “The half was not told me” (v.7). Above all, she was impressed with Solomon’s wisdom (vv.6-7). She was convinced that the subjects of Solomon were happy because they continually stood before him and heard his wisdom (v.8). She concluded by praising Solomon’s Lord for making him king so he would “do justice and righteousness” (v.9).

Solomon’s impact on his people made me wonder about our contribution to the world. We’re not concerned about impressing others with our possessions or abilities, but we all should want to make a difference in the lives of people. What if there was one thing each of us did today that caused people to praise the Lord? — C. P. Hia

This is the wish I always wish,
The prayer I always pray:
Lord, may my life help others
It touches on the way. —Anon.

Christians are windows through which Jesus can shine.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #92
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The Call To Love

Live a life of love...
Ephesians 5:2 NIV
When we take stock of our day-to-day actions there's often a big gap between what we say we value, and how we spend our time, money and energy. Couples spend four times as much time watching television as they do talking to each other. Parents spend an average of four hours a day watching TV, one hour shopping, and six minutes playing with their children. And with each day lost, the gap widens.
In the movie City Slickers, actor and comedian Billy Crystal stands before the children in his son's school class and decides to teach them a lesson they are perhaps not ready to learn: 'Value this time in your life, kids, because this is the time in your life when you still have choices, and it goes by so quickly. When you're a teenager you think you can do everything, and you do. Your twenties are a blur, your thirties - you raise your family, you make a little money, you think to yourself, 'What happened to my twenties?' Your forties - you grow a little potbelly, you grow another chin, the music starts to get too loud, and one of your old girlfriends from high school becomes a grandmother. In your seventies you spend most of your time wandering around malls looking for the ultimate in soft yogurt and muttering, 'How come the kids don't call?'… Any questions?'
If you sense a growing gap between what you say matters most to you and what you are actually doing with your life, take action. Get radical if you have to, but seize this moment while you still have it. The call to love rarely comes with urgency.

At Whit's End:
When Marcus was just an infant, my wife Mona used to mouth to him "Momma...Momma" in the hopes that his first word would be such. She was persistent and eventually he started to mimic that word. He was a quick learner, because "Dada" wasn't far behind. We love our children to the point that we want them to imitate our positive actions and beliefs, much like Jesus Christ wants us to mimic His. I'm guessing most everybody would show that kind of love toward their children, but can you imagine how we, as Christians, could change the world if we offered that kind of love to those beyond our immediate family? Jesus did, and it paved a way for redemption with our Heavenly Father. Looking for a role model when it comes to loving others? Look no farther than the one who died in our place, rose to overcome death, and ascended into Heaven to prepare a place for us!
--Whit

Old 10-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #93
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Rules Or Relationship

Not that we are adequate in ourselves.
2 Corinthians 3:5 NAS
Have you ever watched someone walking a dog on a leash when the dog doesn't want to go where its owner is going? The owner is constantly tugging on the leash, pulling the dog from here and there, telling it to "stop that" and "come back here". That's the way a lot of us live. We are on a 'law leash'. Our lives consist of "Stop that; come back here; don't do that". Only it's in terms of "Read your Bible; pray; go to church; pay your tithes; witness". Now, these are certainly the things we should be doing, but God never meant us to do them at the end of a leash. What a difference when you see a dog and its owner that have a strong relationship. The dog doesn't need a leash to go for a walk. Its owner can just speak a word and the dog responds. Now we're not comparing ourselves to dogs, we're comparing performance-based Christian living to relationship-based Christian living. Big, big difference!
Paul writes: "Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God, who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life" (2 Corinthians 3:5-6 NAS).
When God redeemed you, He wrote His law in your heart and mind (Hebrews 10:16). That means He wants to relate to you from the inside. You shouldn't need an external system of rules to 'keep you in line', because you have internalized God's Word and you have a desire to obey and please Him from your heart.

At Whit's End:
We are currently studying the book of Romans at our church on Wednesday night and talking about relationship with Jesus Christ compared to those who try to keep the Law as a path to salvation. As believers we need to give God all the credit for our accomplishments, for without Him we would be guilty before God as law breakers, because we have all fallen short. To understand this truth requires humility, and the knowledge that we are all sinners in need of a Savior. The Law condemns, but the saving blood of Jesus Christ gives us life! Still want to follow something you have no chance of keeping all the time or would you rather have a loving, saving relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? Yeah, me too...
--Whit

Old 10-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #94
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Learn To Make Better Decisions

A prudent man gives thought to his steps.
Proverbs 14:15 NIV
If you're still making the same mistakes at 50 that you were at 20, you need to ask God for wisdom. "The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out" (Proverbs 18:15 NIV). What you are in the present is determined by the decisions you made in the past. If you want to change your future, learn to make better decisions. Be wise; let these principles guide you:
(1) Never make permanent decisions based on temporary circumstances. If you do, you'll regret it. (2) Don't let your emotions blind you reasoning. Pray, weigh things carefully and base your decisions on mature judgment. (3) Surround yourself with sharp people and draw on their gifts, without being intimidated by their expertise. (4) Take the time to consider all options. What looks good to you today may not look so good tomorrow. (5) You can't fight successfully on every front, so choose your battles carefully. Simply stated: some things are not worth fighting for. (6) Take time to get all the facts; conjecture leads to crisis. (7) Consider the consequences of each action. Ask yourself, "Am I ready to handle this right now?" (8) Make sure your expectations don't exceed your potential and your resources. Be realistic. If you can't count, don't apply for a job in the finance office. If you can't sing, don't try to make an album. Focus on what God gifted you to do. That's where you'll succeed. (9) Time is your most limited and valuable resource. Don't waste it. (10) Allow yourself a 10% risk of being wrong, a 50% likelihood of betrayal, and a 100% commitment to trust God, go forward and survive it all.

At Whit's End:
I've made my share of bad decisions, but God has placed some basic principles on my heart that have helped as I've matured in my faith. 1) Getting my facts straight! Wow, have I ever blown it with this one by jumping to conclusions. 2) Be open to new ideas. Yeah, I've dealt with stubbornness and I'm guessing we all have. 3) Make sure I hear both sides before judging. Wow, as a parent this is a tough one. How many times have we been guilty of reacting before hearing the whole story? As we enter the weekend, make an effort to make godly decisions that bring honor and glory to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. With a little effort (and a lot of help from God) it can be done! And you will love the results.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #95
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Are You Striving For Excellence?
I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God...
Philippians 3:14 NKJV
You're not making the most of your potential when the standards set for you by others are higher than the ones you set for yourself. Former basketball star Bill Bradley attended a summer basketball camp when he was fifteen. While there, basketball star 'Easy' Ed Macauley told him, "If you're not working at your game to the utmost of your ability, there'll be someone out there with equal ability who will be working to the utmost of his ability, and one day when you play each other he'll have the advantage." Neither your critics nor your competitors should determine the standards you set for yourself.
Psychology professor Jon Johnston points out the difference between mere success and excellence: "Success bases our worth on a comparison with others, excellence measures us against our own potential. Success grants its rewards to the few but is the dream of the multitudes. Excellence is available to all living beings, but is accepted only by the few."
There's a poignant moment in the life of Christ: "The high priest then asked Jesus about His disciples and His doctrine" (John 18:19 NKJV). Of His doctrine Jesus could say, "Ask those who have heard Me… (John 18:21 NKJV), but concerning His disciples He said nothing, because they'd all forsaken Him. When asked about our doctrine we say, "Ask those who have heard me." But when asked about our discipleship, can we say, "Ask those who know me?" Are you known for your lukewarm, low-impact living, or can you say like Paul, "I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God"? Are you striving for excellence?

At Whit's End:
Elite athletes train and are single-focused on the goal of excellence. We see this and marvel at their dedication, but when it comes to striving for excellence in our spiritual life we often pull up short of God's intended goal(s) for our life. Why is that? We should never let anything take our eyes off our intimate goal of getting to know Jesus Christ better. With the single-mindedness of an athlete in training, we must lay aside everything harmful and forsake anything that may distract us from being an effective Christian in a fallen world. Are you up for that kind of spiritual training? Is there anyone or anything holding you back? As you start this week, pray that God's will be done in your life...and when He reveals it, run to Him with all your strength!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #96
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Retirement Time

READ: Matthew 16:24-28

Whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. —Matthew 16:25

After working for 40 years as a teacher, Jane Hanson retired. She and her husband were looking forward to the arrival of their first grandchild.

Retirement is that time of life when many people simply relax, travel, or enjoy hobbies. But Jane heard about a ministry to at-risk youth in a city near her home, and she knew she had to get involved. “I realized there are kids just waiting, and I could make a difference,” she said. She began teaching English to a young Liberian man who had been forced to flee his home country because of civil war. Though he was in a safe environment, he didn’t understand the new language. Of this ministry opportunity, Jane said with a smile, “I could just go shopping to stay busy, but what fun would that be?”

Jane is making a difference. Perhaps she has learned a little of what Jesus meant when He said, “Whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it” (Matt. 16:25). Giving ourselves to the Lord through helping others takes self-denial, yet one day Jesus will reward that effort (v.27).

Let’s follow Jane’s example of love for God and others—no matter what our stage of life may be. — Anne Cetas

Oh, let us be faithful to Jesus,
The faith we confessed let’s renew,
And ask Him this question each morning:
“Lord, what will You have me to do?” —Pangborn
Work for the Lord—His retirement plan is out of this world.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #97
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
When Your Faith Feels Shaky

If you... believe in your heart... you will be saved.
Romans 10:9 NIV
A new Christian writes, "I've accepted Jesus as my Savior. But then I slip, and end up wondering if my faith is strong enough. If I'm really saved why doesn't God talk to me like He talks to other people?" You'd be surprised how many of us walk around harboring doubts that steal our peace and assurance.
The Bible says: "If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved" (Romans 10:9 NIV). Are you trusting in Christ? Have you confessed Him as your Savior? Then you're saved! Jesus said, "He who believes in Me has everlasting life" (John 6:47 NKJV). Doubts always arise when you go by your feelings instead of God's Word. Your emotions will change like the weather. The enemy will use them to tell you that salvation's fine for other people but not for you. Paul said, "I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him… (2 Timothy 1:12 NKJV). The One you've committed your eternal well-being to, is committed to saving - and keeping you. Hannah Whitall Smith said, "Faith is the simplest, plainest thing in the world… it's simply believing God."
When your faith feels shaky, pray, "Lord Jesus, I've placed my trust in You. Your Word says I can know I have eternal life (1 John 5:13). It's not a matter of feeling, thinking or wishing; it's a matter of believing and knowing that You keep Your word. So I choose to doubt my doubts, and believe You!"

At Whit's End:
Many of us find it easy to follow Jesus Christ when things are going well, but when the bottom seems to fall out in our life do we still feel the same? What we need to remember is that, even when our situation looks bleak, giving our concerns to Jesus--our Fortress and our Rock--is the only answer. He will guard your faith and safely guard all you have entrusted to Him until the day of His return. We all have days when our faith feels shaky, but its Who we lean on for stability in these times that truly shows where our heart is at!

Old 10-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #98
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Who Goes There?

READ: John 10:1-6

When he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him. —John 10:4

Last fall my wife, Carolyn, and I were driving up a winding mountain road near our home in Idaho when we came across a large flock of sheep moving down the road toward us. A lone shepherd with his dogs was in the vanguard, leading his flock out of summer pasture into the lowlands and winter quarters.

We pulled to the side of the road and waited while the flock swirled around us. We watched them until they were out of sight, then I wondered: Do sheep fear change, movement, new places?

Like most older folks, I like the “fold”—the old, familiar places. But all is shifting and changing these days; I’m being led out, away from familiar surroundings and into a vast unknown. What new limits will overtake me in the coming days? What nameless fears will awaken? Jesus’ words from John 10 come to mind: “When he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them” (v.4).

We may well be dismayed at what life has for us this year and next, but our Shepherd knows the way we’re taking. And He goes before. He will not lead us down paths too dangerous or too arduous where He cannot help us. He knows our limits. He knows the way to green pasture and good water; all we have to do is follow. — David H. Roper

Child of My love, fear not the unknown morrow,
Dread not the new demand life makes of thee;
Thy ignorance doth hold no cause for sorrow
Since what thou knowest not is known to Me. —Exley
Our unknown future is secure in the hands of our all-knowing God.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #99
quarterman

Name: quarterman
Title: Georgia diesel mafia
Member`s Gallery
I would like to thank you for your daily ministry. I almost can't wait until u post it in the morning. May god bless u for giving of your time. The one for today really commed my heart because sometimes it seems life overwhelmes me with problems and uncertanty and makes me feel like I'm spinning my wheels and not accomplishing anything. I now know that this is my emotions keeping me upset and at unrest with my circumstances. The last few sentences really hit home ( dread not the demands of life). I think I have been and have complained about them. Thanks for this word today.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #100
chromedome1

Name: chromedome1
Title: Diesel for life.
Member`s Gallery
Second quarterman! This is truely a blessing. If we can all manage to get together some time in 2010 I hope you can make it GOLDDUSTERS5703.
Thanks and God Bless!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread