Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #12461
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
The 75 seems to be a good turbo for the Detroit. Not sure why you were having heat issues unless your gearing is wrong and your lugging it. Your referring to the 75/96 Borg with 1.32? I don't do a lot with Detroits but they seem to preform the same as the other smaller motors with that charger like the C12. I've just noticed some guys like to drive their 750hp+ trucks like a 450 and keep RPM low for fuel mileage. Then they wonder why they don't survive.

I run the 75 on 2 of my trucks. The newer one that originally had wastegate turbo lost a touch of spool up. It now comes to life around 1300 but that's fine as it's driving at higher rpm. The older one it replaced it actuallly lites quicker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-04-2017, 09:55 PM   #12462
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The 75 seems to be a good turbo for the Detroit. Not sure why you were having heat issues unless your gearing is wrong and your lugging it. Your referring to the 75/96 Borg with 1.32? I don't do a lot with Detroits but they seem to preform the same as the other smaller motors with that charger like the C12. I've just noticed some guys like to drive their 750hp+ trucks like a 450 and keep RPM low for fuel mileage. Then they wonder why they don't survive.
This was my first though, but rpm is bad remember and dropping a gear is for p*ssies.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #12463
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram12vcummins View Post
Where you located Allan? In from Lundar.....

Just had my 94 w9 tuned by Erich at serious series 60 with fresh inframe. Having issues with smoke on startup can't seem to find the problem. But pulls good. No real mileage results yet. 4292 cam and 7915 injectors I put instead of stock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I'm from winnipeg I may be able to help with that. Does it smoke while gaining rpms or does it do that after hitting 900 rpms cold?

Also you can try starting it let it warm up. Then shut it off but immediately turn it back to on after the engine has stopped. Let it cool right off. Maybe even over night put a charger on it. If it starts up fine in the morning it's cam timing.

Last edited by allan5oh; 04-04-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:44 PM   #12464
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I have converted to weed burner and that has helped. I have to wait until the middle of summer to know for sure but it runs *really* good. I've found d I like the smaller turbo.

Detroits like 1500 to 1600 rpms for bsfc stock and near stock. No idea what happens after they're modified and it would cost a lot of money to find out!

I remember it was really flat ground with a wicked side wind and my load was catching a lot of it. It was around 95 degrees and for the same fuel the boost keep going down down and the egts up and up. It was like the turbo was heat soaking. Didn't matter what rpm I ran. I should checked air intake temps but I bet they were sky high. I'm thinking between the high heat and load, plus I had only one kw stack at the time all contributed plus the larger turbo.

Last edited by allan5oh; 04-04-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #12465
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
You think a single stack is enough to cause heat to rise?

Guess I should take the single stack off our tuned MBN C-15 and put duals on it...it's ran cooler since it was tuned, and I am going to bet there's not many S60's that will run with it...

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 04-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #12466
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
My un-educated opinion is your lugging it, bet that 75 would have been super happy if you'd dropped a gear or two in you example above. Now I don't have any semi experience, but it sure seems that it's easier on an engine to spin it up a little, than make it lug around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #12467
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
You think a single stack is enough to cause heat to rise?

Guess I should take the single stack off our tuned MBN C-15 and put duals on it...it's ran cooler since it was tuned, and I am going to bet there's not many S60's that will run with it...

Chris
Well not exactly.....

I had one side of the t pipe blocked that does not help. A small kink in the elbow doesn't help. A 180 degree change from in to out of the muffler doesn't help. All the extra bends doesn't help either.

Now it goes from where the old muffler inlet was, straight back through a walker mega flow.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #12468
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
My un-educated opinion is your lugging it, bet that 75 would have been super happy if you'd dropped a gear or two in you example above. Now I don't have any semi experience, but it sure seems that it's easier on an engine to spin it up a little, than make it lug around.

I understand your point but as you go larger with the turbo cold side you shift the cruise/best bsfc rpm further a d further left on the compressor map. Combine that with environment factors and maybe it's not always a good idea to run a bigger one?

Also look at it this way, I could get away with an even smaller cold side probably 60% of the time. A lot of the time in winter this one is moving too much air.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:34 AM   #12469
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I understand your point but as you go larger with the turbo cold side you shift the cruise/best bsfc rpm further a d further left on the compressor map. Combine that with environment factors and maybe it's not always a good idea to run a bigger one?

Also look at it this way, I could get away with an even smaller cold side probably 60% of the time. A lot of the time in winter this one is moving too much air.
Explain to me how it can move TOO much air in a diesel engine?

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 04-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #12470
jlbayes

Name: jlbayes
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Chris
I'll be waiting for that response as well.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #12471
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
In on 624.

North American Turbo
Old 04-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #12472
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Chris

JACKED UP PULLING SEMI ENGINE EXPLOSION BOWLING GREEN OHIO - YouTube

Lol
Old 04-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #12473
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
I wouldn't even be mad if that happened. Upset but not mad.

North American Turbo
Old 04-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #12474
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I'm not saying bigger is better, I just switched to a smaller turbo on my pickup, spools a lot better, but still not enough on top, plan to fix that with a second turbo eventually. But, when you run a bigger turbo, and possibly bigger cam, since you said which one, guessing it's not stock, they are both likely to raise your rpms for power. You also stated that stock trucks like a certain rpm range, well yours isn't stock, so you probably need to wind it up. I still did quite a bit of heavyish towing with the oversized turbo, just had to keep it wound pretty tight.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #12475
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'm not saying bigger is better, I just switched to a smaller turbo on my pickup, spools a lot better, but still not enough on top, plan to fix that with a second turbo eventually. But, when you run a bigger turbo, and possibly bigger cam, since you said which one, guessing it's not stock, they are both likely to raise your rpms for power. You also stated that stock trucks like a certain rpm range, well yours isn't stock, so you probably need to wind it up. I still did quite a bit of heavyish towing with the oversized turbo, just had to keep it wound pretty tight.

One important question is did you downsize to a turbo that is smaller than stock?

North American Turbo
Old 04-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #12476
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
One important question is did you downsize to a turbo that is smaller than stock?
No, hx35 to a 64mm s300, to he351, just a little bigger than stock! Thinking something in the 70-75mm range in addition eventually.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #12477
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Chris
It's like a fuel oil furnace. For best thermal efficiency/ bsfc you want to run just leaner than the smoke point. Say the smoke point is 16:1, what's the point in running leaner than 20:1 or so? With our non variable turbos we end up pushing air that isn't needed until we start to get than the limit of the turbo, that's why egts go up as we add fuel. That's also why acerts are hard on fuel.

There's a few guys running around with Detroits and well tuned variable turbos. Two guys I know are in the 9 mpg range.

In winter I could easily get away with a 67mm fmw cold side.

Last edited by allan5oh; 04-05-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #12478
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Mines pretty close to stock, just a bit of tuning a manifold and a turbo. It does have a later 500 hp injector/cam combo though.

Edit: the only thing special about my truck is the nut behind the wheel. He's got a few screws loose and luckily the correct ones.

Last edited by allan5oh; 04-05-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #12479
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It's like a fuel oil furnace. For best thermal efficiency/ bsfc you want to run just leaner than the smoke point. Say the smoke point is 16:1, what's the point in running leaner than 20:1 or so? With our non variable turbos we end up pushing air that isn't needed until we start to get than the limit of the turbo, that's why egts go up as we add fuel. That's also why acerts are hard on fuel.

There's a few guys running around with Detroits and well tuned variable turbos. Two guys I know are in the 9 mpg range.

Do you run one of these?

Link....

Anyone that worried about BSFC in a working class 8 truck, must have read the articles on those.

While technically you are right, there are way more important factors in fuel economy than BSFC...You bring your S60 out here and haul what we haul, your mileage WILL suffer...

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 04-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #12480
jlbayes

Name: jlbayes
Member`s Gallery
Yet we still do not throttle air on a diesel.....