V8 cummins puller?

Smokin ACE

1st gen turbo tester
Well we've had this old White truck we used on the farm for hauling hay. We got a big 5th wheel flatbed and don't use it anymore so my grandpa wants to sell it. its a 67 or 69 or something I think but its got a V8 cummins in it. I know these weren't that popular and there wasn't many made but this thing has some balls when it came to haulin a load of 10-12 1 ton hay bales. It wouldnt even grunt. I don't know a whole lot about these v8 cummins but I thought it would be really different in a pulling truck... My grandpa wants to sell it but I got lookin at it and the gears started turning in my head... any ideas? or think it would be worth trying to talk him out of? he already joked that i need to put in my dodge:hehe:
heres a few pics of it
2011-07-21_15-09-47_305.jpg

2011-07-21_14-59-03_274.jpg

2011-07-21_15-01-57_726.jpg

If they can fit an 8v92 detroit in a truck, then this will fit haha

Last edited:
Thats called a 90(nothin) or a 903 Im pretty sure they arent the greatest Cummins engine and they are heavy. I know they will will run a long time some military stuff used them. My dad has an 84 KW with one in it.

90 nothin is right. pretty much a thing of the past. most people had nothing good to say about them.

Thats not a 555? Seemed they broke cranks in trucks maybe. Friend of mine has one in a tractor good for that app but I dont think it would be to good to try to put in a pickup

ya I didnt think about that could be the baby V8 Idk much about them but im pretty sure an L10 or 855 would be a way better engine. 6>8 has always been my motto thats why I have 2 Dodges with Cummins in them because they are inlines.

i like the looks of that old white slap some new paint on it maybe a stack or some shinny parts make it look new. green and white paint looks cool if ya ask me

What motor? At first glance I thought it was falling out the bottom, then I realized that it's just small! LOL

Thats called a 90(nothin) or a 903 Im pretty sure they arent the greatest Cummins engine and they are heavy. I know they will will run a long time some military stuff used them. My dad has an 84 KW with one in it.

903's weren't bad in big tractors, they were easy on fuel and rarely ran out of power. In semi's they could never get up to speed. We've had them in both in the past but the biggest thing we learned is that they didn't like power. Dad's Steiger was set to about 520 horse, 320 was stock, and it dropped a valve through a piston twice before he had the pump detuned to something more like stock.

However that is definitely a turboed 555, I always prefered my 555's N/A lol And X100,000 or where ever we are on making that a sweet tow rig.

Back